Notices

First Football Season Sober

Old 08-29-2013, 10:14 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

First Football Season Sober

Should be interesting, usually have to watch SportsCenter on Sunday and Monday because of obvious reasons.

GO BLUE!
Old 08-29-2013, 10:21 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

this post caught my eye as i'm a big football fan as well. a couple of things i've noticed in my sobriety:
  • I have a better attention span and I can actually enjoy sports more as a fan and less as an excuse to get drunk
  • Less bathroom breaks which means seeing more of the game.
Old 08-29-2013, 10:38 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

I spent most of last season sober and enjoyed it a lot. I was able to focus on the game and not the drink. Making it to the end of the fourth quarter was really nice too.

Go Pack Go!
Old 08-29-2013, 11:02 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Go Pack Go!
Old 08-29-2013, 11:16 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

Every year we used to do an open house on the first Sunday of football. We have NFL Sunday Ticket and my husband would have 4 TVs going. I always also took that Monday off knowing I would be in no condition to go to work. I think I remembered about half of the first games that were on. It was never really about the football for me.

It will be an interesting season watching sober and there will be no open house this year.
Old 08-29-2013, 04:19 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'm looking forward to this season sober as well; I made it through part of the hockey season and it went well. I used to watch a lot of football in the local bar last year; I think it will be better this year...less BS that always floating around. Maybe I'll be able to actually pay attention this year!
Old 08-29-2013, 04:36 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Love this post. I've had one season sober before.. and drank Monsters ill never forget. Just use all the calories saved on Beer and Alcohol for Nachos and Wings! LOL Go VIKES!
Old 08-29-2013, 04:43 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Its a first for me. Meeting friends Saturday but feeling confident. Go Hokies!!
Old 08-29-2013, 04:48 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Just got a text from a friend inquiring about my not drinking - "how is football season supposed to happen?"

I feel his pain in a way - I know he'll miss getting plastered with me.

Alas here we are, sober.

Go Big Blue!
Old 08-29-2013, 04:59 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I got sober a few years ago (relapsed a few times since), and it was eye opening that I don't actually LOVE football like I thought I did. What I actually loved was an excuse to go to the bar and have wings and beer. I'll still be watching this year, but like other sober years, the obsession won't be there. Good luck to you! It was a rough trigger for me that first year.
Old 08-29-2013, 05:58 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I know what you mean LG. Opening of college football is huge for our group. The main requirement was what bar had the best beer prices. I think I'm going to notice more drinking than paying attention to the game.
Old 08-29-2013, 06:20 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Your sober season is kicking off! Guard the ball, keep it close to your chest and hold it with both arms. No fumbles. Take some time off the clock, grind your opponent into submission, and you'll cross the goal line. Touchdown ChefWoverine!

Signed,
A Badger Fan (Aren't we in the Rose Bowl every year now?)
Old 08-29-2013, 06:22 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by peaches58 View Post
I know what you mean LG. Opening of college football is huge for our group. The main requirement was what bar had the best beer prices. I think I'm going to notice more drinking than paying attention to the game.
It's not easy. For some on this site they caution against putting ourselves in drinking environments. For others here, like me, avoiding that would mean I lose touch with friends, family and coworkers. I am certainly all for avoiding meaningless b.s. that I can miss and not worry about. But on the other hand I do know that I'll be around booze and drunks at times this coming year, and have already.

Here's to staying strong, leaving early, trusting ourselves, shutting the beast down and sobriety.
Old 08-29-2013, 06:31 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by peaches58 View Post
I know this is Wolverine's thread but I'd like to throw the red flag here. This might hurt to hear guys, but I'd suggest both peaches and the poster above plant your behinds on the couch this season. I really hate to say it, but those days are probably over. Last year was my first sober football season and I wrestled with it and simply found it was impossible to continue that kind of thing. Those days are over for me, for good.

Hanging out at the bars and in drinking situations, watching football with your buddies just to "maintain social relationships" is a real challenge. And in my opinion, not worth it. There's a total transformation in thinking that needs to take place, and just doing the same things but without the beer doesn't often work. I hate to rain on your fun, but I highly advise you spend the season on the disabled list.
Old 08-29-2013, 06:53 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

By no means will all games be in a bar. Most will be at home. I hear ya big. Things have to change I know that. However..For me.. if I isolate myself from everything all the time it will make me want to drink more.
Old 08-29-2013, 07:01 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

My Heels tonight are making it easy for me not to watch!!
Old 08-29-2013, 07:34 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Well I won't be going to any bars, that's for sure. I'm in an intense probation court program that forbids me to be in such an establishment. Gonna be watching most games from home or at friend's houses and they are all supportive of this ordeal I'm going through.
Old 08-29-2013, 07:37 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Good for you chef. Let's enjoy the games!
Old 08-29-2013, 09:23 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

It's going to be my first sober football season aswell. Fortunately though, football didn't spur too much drinking out of me. The one bad thing it did was if I had a couple beers early in the day it would always make me fall asleep mid-day and miss some games.

I'm excited for the season and to make it more interesting I joined one more additional fantasy draft.
Old 08-29-2013, 10:20 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Yea this Is a great thread. I've been thinking about this a lot lately as football begins. I've been to bars since getting sober and easily stay sober but when it comes to going to watch football there, I have never done that without drinking and I don't kno if I kno how. So I may have to avoid the bars this season. But like some mentioned here, ill be able to pay more attention to detail in the games and last thru all the games .. not to mention remember them. I also joined a fantasy league.