Notices

Day 4

Old 08-29-2013, 05:04 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 4

This morning I got up early , well not as early as I should have. I had to come in to work early due to a doctor's appt. for my hand that yes I severely injured back in April due to alcohol. At any rate, I am still reflecting on what a negative influence I have allowed alcohol to have in my life. I am one of "those people" who do whatever I do to an off the chart level once I get focused. That includes alcohol and sobriety. Well the last time I can remember lengthy sobriety was about 10 years ago. It lasted for 3 years, then failed to stay on guard and thought I can go out with my coworkers and have 1 or 2 or 6 or 8. All that did was lay the ground work for the present struggles. I appreciated what ZoeM said about the dress rehearsals, it has taken me quite a few. This time feels different, not quite as good as the last attempt, but still feels good and that I'm doing this. Taking time to journal and read and trying to identify what people refer to as triggers, more than anything I'm trying to set my mind and stay there this time. Thanks for all the encouragement and support.
Old 08-29-2013, 05:56 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

Congratulations on making the choice and I'm glad that you're here!
Old 08-29-2013, 06:00 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Better when never is never

Day 4 is great! Congratulations!
Old 08-29-2013, 06:06 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Good choice. Once I stopped drinking I needed to focus on what I focused on the day before and that was not to drink one day at a time and it worked for me for a lot of years now. During the early weeks I needed to focus on NOT drinking thoughts until that became second nature. The work started when I explored the real reason that led me to be an alcoholic. BE WELL
Old 08-29-2013, 06:29 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ge7ea View Post
This morning I got up early , well not as early as I should have. I had to come in to work early due to a doctor's appt. for my hand that yes I severely injured back in April due to alcohol. At any rate, I am still reflecting on what a negative influence I have allowed alcohol to have in my life. I am one of "those people" who do whatever I do to an off the chart level once I get focused. That includes alcohol and sobriety. Well the last time I can remember lengthy sobriety was about 10 years ago. It lasted for 3 years, then failed to stay on guard and thought I can go out with my coworkers and have 1 or 2 or 6 or 8. All that did was lay the ground work for the present struggles. I appreciated what ZoeM said about the dress rehearsals, it has taken me quite a few. This time feels different, not quite as good as the last attempt, but still feels good and that I'm doing this. Taking time to journal and read and trying to identify what people refer to as triggers, more than anything I'm trying to set my mind and stay there this time. Thanks for all the encouragement and support.
Hello Congrats on your 4th da that's big 1 day is big, People, Places, an Things if you hang around in a barber shop you will get a hair cut, I stay out of places I don't belong ya no like bars an drink coke I'm only kidding myself sooner or later it will be a BUD for me an then I'm off. If you have to go to something like a wedding etc bring someone to support you. Have you been going to AA meetings ??? I wish you the best an you can do it hand with people that has your back not someone that will buy you a drink. Its only 1 day at a time don't overwellem yourself an think its forever. Hook up with someone you can speak to on the phone that's very important for me anyway. Find a meeting you like an raise your hand an say your new I'll bet theres someone there that will help you.SOBAS BETTA ED
Old 08-29-2013, 06:40 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

thanks Eddie, I have not attended AA. Not sure that it would be for me. I have some people that I'm accountable to. The phone call thing hasn't ever worked for me. I do what I want to do. I have not only realized that, but been told the same. My strength comes from my faith in Jesus Christ. That's ultimately who I'm accountable to but I have others who are here for me. I just have to keep my mind on what I know is right and what happens if I do wrong. I have suffered many great losses and have a lot of recovery to do in many different areas. SR has enabled me to speak freely of my struggles with people that "get it" and that is huge. One reason I fear the AA thing is that I normally plug in and apply myself very quickly and that in turn develops relationships that IF they fall, my mind would try and tell me it's ok, everyone falls. We do fall, everyone of us, but I can't fall like that anymore. It creates a catastrophe in every other area of my life. I know at this point I may have offended some people and even may be babbling, Apologies...it is one day at a time
Old 08-29-2013, 02:33 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

congratulations on day 4 ge7ea

The ay I see it my recovery rests on me (and in my case, God). What happens to other people on their journeys can bring me great joy or sadness, but it doesn't effect my recovery journey.

I wouldn't shut off a recovery support because of what might happen or because people may relapse - people may do that here too, it's part of the SR experience.

If AA is not for you, maybe there's another recovery programme that may suit you better?

D
Old 08-29-2013, 02:49 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I will see. There is a CR that meets tues right down the road
Old 08-29-2013, 03:07 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Day 4 here too! Congrats..lets do this!
Old 08-29-2013, 03:11 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I am also day 4, day 4 club!!
Old 08-29-2013, 03:32 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Ge7ea, this is my day 3. My strength is also in The Lord. Check out your local churches for Celebrate Recovery. It is a faith based recovery. It dispels AA higher power, and replaces it with Jesus Christ. The 12 steps are supported with scripture.
Old 08-29-2013, 03:59 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Will do Raider. I agree all let's do this. I'm taking a quick break from cutting grass. Was bout to die. An hour in and prolly till dark. Thanks for the encouragement. This is the day and everyday hereafter.
Old 08-29-2013, 04:56 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

We are here for you.
Old 08-29-2013, 05:06 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Likewise!
Just finished cutting grass. Took 2 hours. Was a good workout. Feel pretty good. Thinking it will help with sleeping tonight. I was thinking while cutting we can all be on this same journey, fighting battles against the same enemy, 1000's of miles away and still connect, lift each other up, spur one another on one day at a time and be victorious over this monster!!!thats pretty cool
Old 08-29-2013, 05:08 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Btw raider way to go on day 3!!!
Old 08-29-2013, 06:26 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hi Ge, 4 days. Great job. Keep going dear. We are rooting for ya.
Old 08-30-2013, 08:34 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ge7ea View Post
thanks Eddie, I have not attended AA. Not sure that it would be for me. I have some people that I'm accountable to. The phone call thing hasn't ever worked for me. I do what I want to do. I have not only realized that, but been told the same. My strength comes from my faith in Jesus Christ. That's ultimately who I'm accountable to but I have others who are here for me. I just have to keep my mind on what I know is right and what happens if I do wrong. I have suffered many great losses and have a lot of recovery to do in many different areas. SR has enabled me to speak freely of my struggles with people that "get it" and that is huge. One reason I fear the AA thing is that I normally plug in and apply myself very quickly and that in turn develops relationships that IF they fall, my mind would try and tell me it's ok, everyone falls. We do fall, everyone of us, but I can't fall like that anymore. It creates a catastrophe in every other area of my life. I know at this point I may have offended some people and even may be babbling, Apologies...it is one day at a time
Hello Ge7ea Your right about GOD his the one I have to be judged buy, I try to do his will on a daily basis not my will went I do that theres always trouble. I even go to church at 12:10 mass daily instead of a meeting I get more out of it, than a meeting. GOD BLESS an hang in there 1 day at a time you can do this. SOBAS BETTA ED