Notices

I no longer listen to music.

Old 08-29-2013, 08:51 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I don't listen to music like I used to either. Seems sobriety took it from me??? I'm ok with that today because sobriety is of most importance. Maybe with time you will enjoy it more??!
Old 08-29-2013, 09:06 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Music is actually one of my biggest triggers, would be listening to something, new or old didn't matter, and would tell myself 'that's a great song, I should pick up some beer on the way home then listen to it 30 or 40 times on Youtube tonight...", and then I would. Now I listen to sports radio during the day at work.
Old 08-29-2013, 09:09 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

This thread is awesome.

I also worked in the music industry and its been a long time getting back to just enjoying it.

There were so many screwed up situations in that business, well, what other career can you actually expect some of the people to go to their job high/drunk? Lol

After a while in sobriety, I do enjoy music again, albeit in a different way.
Old 08-29-2013, 09:17 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

You say you were in a band. Not sure what instrument you play , but I found playing some new piece of music , something that is a real challenge that I can not really play well or at all and is going to require lots of practice and attention to get it right gets me back into music in a positive way.
Old 08-29-2013, 09:23 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Not sure if this is helpful or not but I am not a drinker yet I have also totally gone off music and I Loooooooooooove music especially classical.

My Dad died last year and I have not felt the same yearning/pleasure in listening to music at all. Then my eldest brother died a few months ago...

I do have moments when I can forget and then I manage to listen to music for a while. The while is getting longer as days go by thank goodness.

What I am trying to say is perhaps the death of someone is very similar to the death of drinking...
Old 08-29-2013, 09:49 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

I go in and out of moods with many things in my life, music, reading, writing, etc. I might go for a few years not engaging much in any of it, then it pops up again for a few years, then drifts back out of priority.

I don't know why this happens. When I was younger it used to scare me...like OH NO, what's happening, this isn't like me. I used to do X all the time

but I've been through enough cycles of it now that I just flow with it
Old 08-29-2013, 10:30 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Nothing Left to do but Smile.

I no longer get the thrill of being at a concert now that I don't drink, but I enjoy immensely making music. Not drinking has increased that since I am actually progressing now. Your creativity will blossom as you get more sober time under you. Just try to nurture it along when you are ready.
Old 08-29-2013, 11:31 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Realistically I know I just wont ever be able to listen to music again.

I have a background in classical music and jazz from a conservatorium and that is where I know I got addicted to alcohol. I have known for a while that playing music or listening to classical/ ska/ heavy metal and jazz is a huge trigger.

Earlier this year, I had 11 days sobriety under my belt and my fav band of all time came to my city and I could not say no to drinking. I ended up in their hotel after the show and almost had relations with the guitarist. I can't trust myself now not to see that band as a trigger.

I will stick with talk back radio now and for all time
Old 08-29-2013, 11:35 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

As I said earlier, saying goodbye to a loved and trusted friend is not easy, and not nice at all...it takes time to recover from this sort of seperation/depression. But you can do it.
Old 08-29-2013, 12:05 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Music is a gift. An AWESOME GIFT, whether
you play it or listen to it, and music in recovery
is more a gift and blessing to be embraced,
cherished, appreciated and never to be taken
for granted.

There is so much music can bring to our lives.
It calms us, touches us, brings us joy, strengthens
us, brings us to a place that each one of us can
only experience within our own souls, hearts
and minds.

There is so many different kinds of music
for us to choose from to enjoy during every
twist and turn as we travel on our recovery
journey.
Old 08-29-2013, 12:56 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not truth. Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music. Music is the best. - Frank Zappa
Old 08-29-2013, 01:01 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

I used to love getting plastered and listening to music. Bear in mind that I have about $15,000 sunk into my audio system. When I first quit drinking I couldn't really sit down and enjoy music sober. It took a while but I did get back to where I could listen but not need to drink, too.
Old 08-29-2013, 02:02 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Administrator

To anyone who thinks they will never be able to listen to music again I always say give it time...

I can listen to anything now - it doesn't trigger me, it doesn't remind me of the good/bad old days...I just enjoy music, like I used to before drugs and alcohol entered the frame

I still enjoy playing it too

It will come back, I promise

D
Old 08-29-2013, 02:29 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by James18 View Post
... Maybe you grow out of that? I can't decided if it's me that's the problem, or if it's just a natural progression in my life; I have other interests and I know listening to music is not the be all/end all.
In my case, I outgrew music when I learned to meditate. About the only time i listen to music is when I am with someone who wants it. Alone I prefer quite time.
Old 08-29-2013, 04:23 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

I loved listening to music long before I started drinking. I used to listen to my older brother's albums when I was a kid. When other kids my age were listening to the Archies, I was listening to Cream, Jethro Tull, and Zeppelin. LOL