Notices

First drinking dream in a long time!

Old 08-29-2013, 03:18 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

First drinking dream in a long time!

Weird! Last night I had the first dream of being drunk that I've had in a long while. I dreamt that I drank maybe ten beers or so. In the dream I remember being disappointed, thinking gee, I was so close to a year! And I remember trying to not beat myself up, to use that time and improve on it.

So I woke up bummed and despondent thinking I'd stumbled...only to realize it was just a dream! Whew, what a relief! I don't dwell on dates and numbers but it struck me a few days ago that it's been almost 11 months now since I've had a drink. Probably the awareness of that was with me when I went to bed. Plus, I'd been at the store and noticed that Sam Adam's Octoberfest was out. It used to be a big thing to me, that brew showing up. It was a sign of fall and the changing of the seasons. Funny how the subconscious works, I guess.

All that said, it's amazing to me that I'm sneaking up on a whole year sober! Thanks to everyone, you've all been a big help to me!

To anyone reading this that can't imagine how they'll be sober tomorrow, much less next week, listen when I say that it can happen for you! Before I made my Big Plan early October of last year, I'd only had one sober stretch in 25 years. That was almost 20 years ago. I was in the process of getting divorced and had just had some very negative consequences from my drinking so I stopped. Note that I never quit, or even thought I might. I just knew I had to stop for awhile. That lasted around three months and I was back on the sauce.

It has been almost 11 months, and in that time I've had no lapses and very few serious cravings. There was only one time in there when I contemplated caving and drinking, and that quickly passed.
Old 08-29-2013, 04:42 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Kudos!
Old 08-29-2013, 05:53 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

Strange that you post this. 94 days sober now and not one dream about drinking until last weekend. I have now had two and in both circumstances was devastated and woke up so relieved. I realized that the first dream was because I had watched Flight with Denzel Washington. The second was because someone was talking about Shipyard Brewing Pumpkin Ale being out.

How powerful is alcohol when it can trigger subconscious thoughts?