Notices

2 days

Old 08-28-2013, 09:47 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

2 days

I have 2 days down. I can't remember the last time I voluntarily spent two days sober.

There were no dramatic alcohol related incidents that led to these two days. I have a dull ache in the area of my liver most of the time. I went to the doctor because I was afraid I had alcoholic hepatitis. Tests came back negative for any issues, but pain is a warning. I have recently been learning more about how and why we really need our livers. I want mine to stay healthy.

I am very functional but I realized recently that I had been reaching about a box of wine/3 bottles per week, with a couple of cocktails thrown in for good measure. I don't want to be someone who drinks a box of wine a week. I'm tired of the constant unease about my drinking, I'm tired of having things to accomplish at night but instead just getting buzzed and zoning out in front of the TV, I'm tired of not being fully present for my family, I'm tired of being tired and queasy in the morning, I'm tired of looking at the few extra lbs that I know come from wine, I'm honestly tired of the taste and experience of alcohol itself. I want to be more than that.

So anyway, 2 days down and I am feeling good so far.
Old 08-28-2013, 09:50 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Work in Progress

Good job on two days! And welcome!
Old 08-28-2013, 09:54 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Renarde, 2 days Yea! I think that's when people decide to quit. When they just get tired of it. Really, truly tired of it. I know I did. Good job. It gets easier.
Old 08-28-2013, 09:57 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome aboard Renarde

D
Old 08-28-2013, 10:39 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you. It's only 2 days but it seems like a big deal to me. Which is a sad comment on how dependent I had become. I was afraid I'd go through withdrawals this time. The only sober period I've had since 2010 was for one month in 2012. A day here and there maybe, due to illness or something else put of my control.
Old 08-29-2013, 05:57 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 2 days. The idea I got at AA was we don't drink one day at a time and to be honest about our drinking with our self. When I was having difficulty in the beginning it was suggested to think more of non drinking thoughts to get by the moments of desire. Try reading post here for much good help also. BE WELL
Old 08-29-2013, 06:03 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Renarde View Post
I have 2 days down. I can't remember the last time I voluntarily spent two days sober.

There were no dramatic alcohol related incidents that led to these two days. I have a dull ache in the area of my liver most of the time. I went to the doctor because I was afraid I had alcoholic hepatitis. Tests came back negative for any issues, but pain is a warning. I have recently been learning more about how and why we really need our livers. I want mine to stay healthy.

I am very functional but I realized recently that I had been reaching about a box of wine/3 bottles per week, with a couple of cocktails thrown in for good measure. I don't want to be someone who drinks a box of wine a week. I'm tired of the constant unease about my drinking, I'm tired of having things to accomplish at night but instead just getting buzzed and zoning out in front of the TV, I'm tired of not being fully present for my family, I'm tired of being tired and queasy in the morning, I'm tired of looking at the few extra lbs that I know come from wine, I'm honestly tired of the taste and experience of alcohol itself. I want to be more than that.

So anyway, 2 days down and I am feeling good so far.
Thank you for your post. I basically feel the same way. Same old, same old stuff. Like Groundhog Day every day. There is so much more out there. Last night was my first night not drinking in a while and it was awesome!!!!
Old 08-29-2013, 06:37 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thank you. It's only 2 days but it seems like a big deal to me. Which is a sad comment on how dependent I had become. I was afraid I'd go through withdrawals this time. The only sober period I've had since 2010 was for one month in 2012. A day here and there maybe, due to illness or something else put of my control.
2 days is huge....and only others who have been where you are will understand that...so welcome!

I remember during my first few days, getting annoyed, thinking damn, just thinking 2 days is great means you have a problem. That made me even more determined....that I deserved more than just a couple of days....and my body was giving me grief also...stomach upsets, pains.....getting fat.

Keep posting and reading others posts. You can do this.
Old 08-29-2013, 06:40 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Better when never is never

Two days is amazing!! Way to go and welcome!
Old 08-29-2013, 06:41 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
*Ex Missus

Well done! I am on day 2 today! I also have dull ache in my stomach area and also my back/shoulders :/ Mine didn't start until I'd begun cutting down though. Hope it's my body just healing itself! I'm a tad shaky today also but upwards and onwards hey? Best of luck to you and all us
Old 08-29-2013, 06:50 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JackDsMissus View Post
Well done! I am on day 2 today! I also have dull ache in my stomach area and also my back/shoulders :/ Mine didn't start until I'd begun cutting down though. Hope it's my body just healing itself! I'm a tad shaky today also but upwards and onwards hey? Best of luck to you and all us

I'm on day two and feel so much better waking up this morning. However I have been at day 2 so many times so we shall see. Going golfing later and then to restaurants with three of my friends. We always drink. I think I will just have an excuse ready as I'm not yet able to share with this group that I'm not drinking.
Old 08-29-2013, 06:50 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I'm going on my 4th day. Same as you...realizing that a couple of days is a big deal. Glad to see you here. I'm in some awesome company with the newbees.
Old 08-29-2013, 08:19 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Congrats Renarde! I too am on day 2! Looks like we are in good company. I can relate to so much in your post...and fortunately I'm feeling good so far too!
Old 08-29-2013, 12:27 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Wow, thank you all so much for the encouragement! It really means a lot to me.

I am amazed by how much better I feel in the mornings. Half a bottle of wine or more every night will make you feel like crap. Recently my spouse was out of town and I drank an entire bottle in one night. That was a wakeup call. Normal people don't do that. I felt bad the next day, but that night I went out with a friend and had 3 margaritas and a beer. It didn't even effect me that much - my tolerance is increasing, but I still had a mean hangover the next day. Too much. Yuck.

Lately with my drinking I've been feeling so bored with it, like, I really don't feel like doing this but....it's what I always do, so pour another, I suppose. It feels good to break up that monotony, like winkster said.

It's nice to sleep well - drinking always seems to make me wake up around 1 am and toss and turn in a weird half asleep half awake state for hours. I haven't missed that the last two nights.

It's nice to be hydrated. It's nice to know I've taken 2.5 days and treated my body well.

I have moved through a really tough and troubling period in my life (related to circumstances beyond my control) and I am feeling confident and happy with my family, career, goals, etc. I have been feeling like I want to pull away from alcohol...I don't need a crutch anymore. I have been moving into a new phase of life where I am feeling more secure, confident, and ok with myself. Aging is not all bad.

Nice work everyone else who is hanging on through the first few days!
Old 08-29-2013, 12:50 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Congrats to all the "Second Day'er's" ! I hope to join you soon.

Ya'll keeping rollin' up the days and I'll catch up with you later.

Awesome... but be carefull at days 12 - 15. Seems those days did me in on previous quit attempts. Don't know why but 26 - 28 were rough too. Be careful.

Dave
Old 08-29-2013, 01:49 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I'm on my third. I have found it difficult but I've never gone three days before. One day at a time...good luck
Old 08-29-2013, 07:17 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DuhDave View Post
Don't know why but 26 - 28 were rough too. Be careful.
Definitely have experienced this too. I think right around day 28 was my previous crash.

I had plenty of "reasons" to drink tonight, but all I have to do is palpate my abdomen and feel my aching liver to know what I need to do.

I was very present for my family, and now I'm sitting down to get things done, instead of just glazing over. Today was a success.
Old 08-30-2013, 12:01 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I think I'm having some mild withdrawal today, on Day 4. Not feeling too hot. Headaches, dizziness, nausea, fatigue. Weird feeling in my head/brain.

I joined the Labor Day weekend thread - I'll be alone this weekend (big trigger for me). I plan to work, clean, and rest.
Old 08-30-2013, 12:24 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by winkster26 View Post
I'm on day two and feel so much better waking up this morning. However I have been at day 2 so many times so we shall see. Going golfing later and then to restaurants with three of my friends. We always drink. I think I will just have an excuse ready as I'm not yet able to share with this group that I'm not drinking.
Unfortunately back to day 1. Not even much last night but still affected my sleep and so not worth it. Tonight with daughter and grandson so will not be tempted and have something different to do and want to be Fully Present to them. Alcohol prevents that. One even just sets my mind up for the next! And even if I didn't have a lot last night I set myself up for the roller coaster ride. I can be sure that events will be fairly predictable tonight with no drama and even if drama should arise I can deal with it as a sober person! Thank you all for your wonderful posts! And encouragement! Not giving up!
Old 08-30-2013, 12:27 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Wow, thank you all so much for the encouragement! It really means a lot to me.

I am amazed by how much better I feel in the mornings. Half a bottle of wine or more every night will make you feel like crap. Recently my spouse was out of town and I drank an entire bottle in one night. That was a wakeup call. Normal people don't do that. I felt bad the next day, but that night I went out with a friend and had 3 margaritas and a beer. It didn't even effect me that much - my tolerance is increasing, but I still had a mean hangover the next day. Too much. Yuck.

Lately with my drinking I've been feeling so bored with it, like, I really don't feel like doing this but....it's what I always do, so pour another, I suppose. It feels good to break up that monotony, like winkster said.

It's nice to sleep well - drinking always seems to make me wake up around 1 am and toss and turn in a weird half asleep half awake state for hours. I haven't missed that the last two nights.

It's nice to be hydrated. It's nice to know I've taken 2.5 days and treated my body well.

I have moved through a really tough and troubling period in my life (related to circumstances beyond my control) and I am feeling confident and happy with my family, career, goals, etc. I have been feeling like I want to pull away from alcohol...I don't need a crutch anymore. I have been moving into a new phase of life where I am feeling more secure, confident, and ok with myself. Aging is not all bad.

Nice work everyone else who is hanging on through the first few days!
I appreciate this post and your words really resonate with me.