Notices

2 days

Old 08-30-2013, 12:46 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Great job winkster for getting back to your plan and goals. One thing that was causing me a lot of guilt was that as a parent, I felt that alcohol was removing me from my family. I would drink wine and hang out but it would disconnect me from really consciously, actively participating in play with my kiddo, which kiddo needs and wants. I would do it, but I wasn't 100% connected all the time. I felt I was coming up short and could do better. Even just thinking about that now makes me feel awful. I work hard and have a happy and healthy child who gets lots of affection and attention BUT I can and will do better.
Old 08-31-2013, 07:34 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Day 5 and physically I feel great. I woke up today with so much energy, no nausea, less liver pain (though it's still there it's not as acute), no depression, and a feeling of hope.

The most shocking thing to me is the lack of nausea and fatigue I feel this morning. It's remarkable.
Old 08-31-2013, 07:43 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Hi Renarde. I am on day 1, but have been here before. My drinking is similar to yours and my feelings too. That I am not being my best self for my family. I actually usually do finish the bottle of wine if I open it. I stopped buying boxes a couple of years ago, when I got 4-5 months sober. I know I will drink past 3-4 glasses with a box, or I pour them too big, etc...

But I do feel like sometimes I just drink out of boredom, or just because it is there. It is a bit of an itch, like for that first cup of coffee in the morning, but hits me in the evening.

I also want to feel better and be more present for my kids. I could be is much more attentive and fun for them if I felt better.

Congrats on 5 days! Glad you have energy on this nice holiday weekend. What a good thing. I hope to have that tomorrow. Today I am a little tired.
Old 08-31-2013, 08:00 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Glad to see you here Rochele! I think a lot of people drink just out of habit. I was trying to remember when, like 10-15 years ago, I didn't drink every day, or even on weeknights. That seems so weird to me now. My norm these days has been to drink from like 5-8 or 9 every day and then crash. It took me a few days without it to feel good. I hope you get that energy soon. I have also thought a lot about how if I quit drinking I could really reach my potential.
Old 08-31-2013, 08:04 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Renarde View Post
Day 5 and physically I feel great. I woke up today with so much energy, no nausea, less liver pain (though it's still there it's not as acute), no depression, and a feeling of hope.

The most shocking thing to me is the lack of nausea and fatigue I feel this morning. It's remarkable.
My symptoms were equal to yours, with the liver pain and headaches. The headaches came and went for almost 1 month after quitting. After 80 days I feel like a new person physically.

Congrats on your progress, stopping is the hardest part, staying that way is going to be hard also but you can do it.
Old 08-31-2013, 08:05 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Thank you so much - that was good for me to hear. Congrats on 80 days - that's amazing. I can't wait to feel like that too.
Old 09-09-2013, 09:32 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Just a quick update.

I have 14 days down and I feel amazing. If I can do 2 weeks, so can anyone else. For anyone new reading this, please have faith in yourself and get support. It only took 2 weeks for me to feel dramatically different. I feel good physically and I am very hopeful about the future.
Old 09-09-2013, 09:44 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Good job friends! Wow. Lots of good news
Old 09-11-2013, 11:40 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

I am on day 2, and this thread helped me start my journey again. I couldn't wait to get to here, so now that I am hear I hope to get to 14 as well.

Today is a clean slate. What happened yesterday is gone, what happens today depends on me.
Old 09-11-2013, 11:50 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Breaking Thru

Just a quick update.
For anyone new reading this, please have faith in yourself and get support.
Thanks for sharing , friend.

Inspirational

Stopthecycle : Congratulations

Tr
Old 09-11-2013, 01:12 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Stopthecycle View Post
I am on day 2, and this thread helped me start my journey again. I couldn't wait to get to here, so now that I am hear I hope to get to 14 as well.

Today is a clean slate. What happened yesterday is gone, what happens today depends on me.
I am so glad to hear this! You can do it. I feel like a completely different person (in a good way) now that 16 days have passed.
Old 09-16-2013, 09:11 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Just updating in case it motivates anyone who might be thinking about trying.

I now have 21 days sober. I feel fantastic. My life feels less chaotic and I actually feel more in control. My relationships are better, I get better sleep, have more energy, and look better. I lost 6 lbs in the first week and kept it off with no effort. I feel like a huge weight has been lifted from my shoulders. I don't have guilt or anxiety anymore. I feel like an honest, good person who is trying hard to do their best. This is all I could ask for!

Like I said earlier, if I can do this, anyone can. Life feels really good with 21 days.
Old 09-16-2013, 09:56 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Wow..congrats on 3 weeks of sobriety! It just gets better as you sink deeper into your own skin and realize you didn't need that crap after all : )

I used to wait out each and every day at work..just to get home and uncork that wine. I felt like that was when my "real" life started..like that was when I "turned on the lights" of my day.

Weird thing is..I now compare sobriety to turning on the light. It feels so strange to just notice things like a warm wind or the smell of cinnamon buns or the sound of a child's laughter and for it to make you ...smile....and feel good. When I was drinking, I would have rolled my eyes at anyone who made a statement like that (followed by a sarcastic remark.."what's she on?).

It's not all peachy-keen 24-7, but that's just life.
Old 09-16-2013, 10:00 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Congrats and welcome! Please feel free to reach out if you need anything!
Old 09-16-2013, 10:09 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Nuudawn View Post
Wow..congrats on 3 weeks of sobriety! It just gets better as you sink deeper into your own skin and realize you didn't need that crap after all : )

I used to wait out each and every day at work..just to get home and uncork that wine. I felt like that was when my "real" life started..like that was when I "turned on the lights" of my day.

Weird thing is..I now compare sobriety to turning on the light. It feels so strange to just notice things like a warm wind or the smell of cinnamon buns or the sound of a child's laughter and for it to make you ...smile....and feel good. When I was drinking, I would have rolled my eyes at anyone who made a statement like that (followed by a sarcastic remark.."what's she on?).

It's not all peachy-keen 24-7, but that's just life.
Thank you! I am totally with you. Life is about genuine experience - good and bad. i was checking-out and dulling my experience and that is a dishonest and wasteful way to live and it made me have no respect for myself. I love your posts - thank you for sharing your thoughts and impressions - whenever you post it is so helpful to me!
Old 09-16-2013, 11:59 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Great job on 21 days Renarde! I did have a slip on Saturday that I am not happy about. On the good side Friday was great. Had dinner at sports bar with the family (no drinks), then a late movie with my boy (I remember the whole movie). Then Sunday NY Giants football game. Not a single drink the whole day. This is actually historic for me. My biggest drinking days are Sunday's during football season. Usually starts at 12:30 until I pass out around 10:00. I feel great today, and I am ready to keep feeling better. Thanks for the update!
Old 09-16-2013, 12:18 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  
Saved by Grace

Keep up the good fight. I'm on day seven and it just keeps getting better. My bride even said I was "nice" and a "pleasure to be around".

Dono

Wow, thank you all so much for the encouragement! It really means a lot to me.

I am amazed by how much better I feel in the mornings. Half a bottle of wine or more every night will make you feel like crap. Recently my spouse was out of town and I drank an entire bottle in one night. That was a wakeup call. Normal people don't do that. I felt bad the next day, but that night I went out with a friend and had 3 margaritas and a beer. It didn't even effect me that much - my tolerance is increasing, but I still had a mean hangover the next day. Too much. Yuck.

Lately with my drinking I've been feeling so bored with it, like, I really don't feel like doing this but....it's what I always do, so pour another, I suppose. It feels good to break up that monotony, like winkster said.

It's nice to sleep well - drinking always seems to make me wake up around 1 am and toss and turn in a weird half asleep half awake state for hours. I haven't missed that the last two nights.

It's nice to be hydrated. It's nice to know I've taken 2.5 days and treated my body well.

I have moved through a really tough and troubling period in my life (related to circumstances beyond my control) and I am feeling confident and happy with my family, career, goals, etc. I have been feeling like I want to pull away from alcohol...I don't need a crutch anymore. I have been moving into a new phase of life where I am feeling more secure, confident, and ok with myself. Aging is not all bad.

Nice work everyone else who is hanging on through the first few days!
Old 09-16-2013, 02:15 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Life is about genuine experience - good and bad. i was checking-out and dulling my experience and that is a dishonest and wasteful way to live and it made me have no respect for myself.
Aw thank you for your kind compliments. That attitude right there above. That's the winning one I think. It's the way I feel too and so far ..so good : )