SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Hoping for a day 2 (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/305633-hoping-day-2-a.html)

benice 08-28-2013 03:08 PM

Hoping for a day 2

I have written “Day 1” on my calendar four times over the past 7 days. Today is another Day 1. I am having a problem convincing myself that I need to do this. Moderation seems to work for me. However, I moderately drink every evening! And I think about it a lot. And it is very consuming.

In another post, Pinkdog suggested someone Google stages of readiness. I did and realized that I am stuck in the contemplation stage. Fine. Let's contemplate and move on.

So Dee, today I made a plan. I wrote down on a piece of paper the reasons why I WANT to NOT drink. Finally, they outweigh the reasons I do want to drink. And I’ve listened to the many recent posts that say to think only about today and get rid of the daunting thought about forever. I know that cooking is my habitual time to have my wine, so I left work early and did my grocery shopping without picking up the wine. I have no wine in the house. I bought lots of lemon flavored Zero Water. WHEW…I feel pretty good that tomorrow will finally be another Day 2!

Another funny thing is all of the recent posts about moderation. It’s like people were asking my question over and over with different words. We will see where this goes, but my comment on moderation is that it is exhausting. Normies don’t think about it as much as I do.

winkster26 08-28-2013 03:13 PM

Im at day one. I really enjoyed reading your post. It makes lots of sense. I will need to once write my reasons for NOT wanting to drink my wine. I'm so happy you didn't buy the wine. I'm going to store now and will NOT buy myself wine. All I want to do is get thru tonight with gods help hopefully I will. It doesn't matter if my husband is drinking. I will choose not to pick up that first drink

13unluckyforsom 08-28-2013 03:14 PM

Good for you skipping the wine and making that plan. Just remember wee baby steps. I used to not understand the need for people saying 'just for the next 5min etc) but now that I'm quitting sometimes its as tiny as getting through one minute lol it's too over whelming too look any further. So just for today :) you can do this :)

AlefVavResh 08-28-2013 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by benice (Post 4147635)
Moderation seems to work for me. However, I moderately drink every evening! And I think about it a lot. And it is very consuming.

You might want to change that first line to "Moderation doesn't seem to be working for me." Just a thought ;)

Another funny thing is all of the recent posts about moderation. It’s like people were asking my question over and over with different words. We will see where this goes, but my comment on moderation is that it is exhausting. Normies don’t think about it as much as I do.

I would file this under the "God is trying to send me a message" category. . . Moderation didn't work for me. I left behind many peaceful years of sobriety and became a lying drunk. Starting over.

Sounds like you are asking the right questions, so you are on your way! Good luck.

foolsgold66 08-28-2013 03:19 PM

I have written “Day 1” on my calendar four times over the past 7 days. Today is another Day 1. I am having a problem convincing myself that I need to do this. Moderation seems to work for me. However, I moderately drink every evening! And I think about it a lot. And it is very consuming.

In another post, Pinkdog suggested someone Google stages of readiness. I did and realized that I am stuck in the contemplation stage. Fine. Let's contemplate and move on.

So Dee, today I made a plan. I wrote down on a piece of paper the reasons why I WANT to NOT drink. Finally, they outweigh the reasons I do want to drink. And I’ve listened to the many recent posts that say to think only about today and get rid of the daunting thought about forever. I know that cooking is my habitual time to have my wine, so I left work early and did my grocery shopping without picking up the wine. I have no wine in the house. I bought lots of lemon flavored Zero Water. WHEW…I feel pretty good that tomorrow will finally be another Day 2!

That's not thinking that is SUFFERING. I did that for years. My version of moderation was probably more like detoxing daily though. You can make day 2!

Dee74 08-28-2013 03:29 PM

I really hope today's the day benice - don't be afraid to be on SR as much as you need to be :)

D

benice 08-28-2013 03:37 PM

Thanks guys! And Winkster, it's nice to have the company. We can do this. I'm looking forward to sharing day 2 with you tomorrow!