Notices

Wanna stop

Old 08-28-2013, 10:13 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Wanna stop

Once again my first day trying the sobriety route. Did AA years ago and still show up once in a while but don't really like them although there are a couple of meetings I sort of enjoy. My husband and i enjoy drinking together but it's too much and I feel the effects greater than him as I am a woman the next day. I want to stop but find it very difficult so I'm here. Day 1.
Old 08-28-2013, 10:16 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome to SR
Old 08-28-2013, 10:18 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome!

Does your husband want to quit as well?
Old 08-28-2013, 10:21 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hello and welcome. It is difficult to get a few days sober put together. It took me years to do that. Hang in there. Tomorrow morning you'll thank yourself when you wake up without any hangover.

I'm just curious. Are you and your husband working on sobriety together? Also, if AA doesn't work for you do you thought about some sort of plan to help you get through early sobriety?

In my case my wife kept drinking but she can have 1 and stop. For me that's inconceivable. I didn't go through AA but I did have a plan including some sound advice from my doctor.

Again, good luck, hang in there. There can be brighter days ahead.
Old 08-28-2013, 10:51 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bruce292 View Post
Hello and welcome. It is difficult to get a few days sober put together. It took me years to do that. Hang in there. Tomorrow morning you'll thank yourself when you wake up without any hangover.

I'm just curious. Are you and your husband working on sobriety together? Also, if AA doesn't work for you do you thought about some sort of plan to help you get through early sobriety?

In my case my wife kept drinking but she can have 1 and stop. For me that's inconceivable. I didn't go through AA but I did have a plan including some sound advice from my doctor.

Again, good luck, hang in there. There can be brighter days ahead.
We were but now that he has gotten healthy and lost weight he is somewhat controlling his drinking although yea he has a propensity for drinking too much. That's what makes it so difficult. I have a therapist whose in AA and been sober for 30 years. I will be seeing her next week. I change like the wind however so it's an insidious thing!!
Old 08-28-2013, 11:01 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

AA has been freaking me out lately. They get mad I have a nice car and straight teeth.

Jk about the teeth. I get negative vibes there.
Old 08-28-2013, 11:08 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

AA is great for many people, but not for everyone.. I've been to a few meetings and found it wasn't really for me. I find SR to be much better for me. The important thing is to have some sort of support community....alcohol is a tough ******* and it's difficult to stay strong without support.
Old 08-28-2013, 11:21 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Acheleus View Post
AA has been freaking me out lately. They get mad I have a nice car and straight teeth.

Jk about the teeth. I get negative vibes there.
THAT IS SO STRANGE. AA not a bed of mental health.
Old 08-28-2013, 01:26 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Have you ever looked into any other recovery methods Winkster? Things like AVRT or SMART? x
Old 08-28-2013, 02:34 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Winkster

It would be great if all of us had all the support we need at home, but thats just not the case sometimes. The fact your husband is still drinking makes it hard, but not impossible - there are many folks here staying sober while their partner continues to drink.

There are other avenues for support tho - AA is just one of them, so if you feel that wasn't for you, there are still many other programmes to check out.

Here's some links to some of the main players (including but not limited to AA):

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...formation.html

I recommend you visit the Secular Connections forum if you think you may benefit from a non 12 step approach.

glad you found us

D