Notices

Beat the cravings today

Old 08-27-2013, 10:49 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Beat the cravings today

Hi all,

Today I felt the cravings for the first time. I really wanted to get a bottle of wine. I even had the classic "Just one" thought. Sadly "one" referred to one bottle, not one drink, lol.

But then I thought "What if I don't?". I realized that I would probably feel a little bad and feel some cravings, but I was willing to accept that. Especially when contrasted to the course of action where I do drink and apart from the temporary gratification, it will give me nothing but terrible misery.

Funny thing is, I don't even feel that bad at all. The cravings subsided and went away and I feel pretty much fine. My body is still detoxing, even though I'm on day 13. Still there's stuff coming out of me that must be residue from drinking on average 2 bottles a night for years.

So I also figured it would be a terrible waste to interrupt that detoxing process.

Just wanted to share.

James
Old 08-27-2013, 11:01 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It is great that you stayed strong James. Cravings will pass. Congrats on day 13!
Old 08-27-2013, 11:27 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
A Smart Bug is a Sober Bug!

Awesome! Keep it up!
Old 08-27-2013, 11:30 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

WELL DONE James !!!
Old 08-27-2013, 11:34 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Realising my life

That's brilliant, James. And the more you say no to the beast, the stronger you feel and the easier it gets
Old 08-27-2013, 11:48 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

You thought the drink through to the end. Cravings suck and are scary because they hit you at the most inopportune moments when you are vulnerable. I had a craving this past Friday night on my way home from work. It had been a long work week and I was exhausted. (Big trigger for me is being tired). In the past, I would stop off and get some drinks to perk me up and then I would continue drinking at home until passing out in my bed. So that is where my brain went. Fridays are rough for me too....I always rationalize that I don't have to work Saturday, dont have to get up early...in other words can lay in bed all day with a hangover. Luckily I didn't drink. Do you know why? I forgot that I had to go to a court ordered alcohol class/therapy Saturday morning and would have to do a breath test. So, when I remembered that , I of course didnt drink. What will I do next time? Hopefully think it through, get online here and pray.
Old 08-27-2013, 02:53 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thinking it through to the end really works well for me. You see the whole picture and the disaster at the end if you choose to drink. And the other outcome if you don't drink. As well as the worst that can happen, really, if you don't drink. It feels bad and you may want to drink, but really, is that so horrible? Not as horrible as the aftermath of drinking.

And in this experience I noticed that my preconceived ideas about how bad it would feel to stay sober were simply incorrect. It wasn't as close to being as bad as I thought. And it was different too.

Honestly, this evening I even forgot about drinking altogether for a long period of time. And now I'm about to go to bed satisfied because I'm sober, feel good about it and know that sleeping sober feels wonderful.

J.
Old 08-27-2013, 03:01 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
*Ex Missus

Wow, how inspiring! Way to go I have all this to come! So reading posts like this really give me hope x
Old 08-27-2013, 03:41 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks James.
The old triggers can crop up when least expected.
Lets all remain alert.
Old 08-27-2013, 03:55 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Breaking Thru

Way to beat back those cravings

Tr
Old 08-27-2013, 05:38 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Awesome!
Old 08-27-2013, 10:00 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer