Notices

new alco

Old 08-27-2013, 07:51 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

new alco

Hi all,

I'm Kevin, from Ireland, im Here with one objective , to never drink alcohol again, the only legal drug that we can buy everyday. It has and will destroy my life, I just want to hear from others who will give me more confidence going forward, and for me to help others.

Thanks

Kevin
Old 08-27-2013, 08:00 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome Kevin,
There's lots of info and support here. i have found it to be a great resource.

If it helps, I am on week 6 or 7 sober and I don't ever remember feeling better mentally and physically. It has been a struggle but one i have relished.
Old 08-27-2013, 08:05 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome Kevin, You have found a great place. Everyone here has the same objective as you to never drink alcohol again. SR has been great for my recovery. You will find lots of support and advice here.
Old 08-27-2013, 08:06 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Kevin, glad you are here! You can do it, and SR is an incredible place for support and advice. I am glad to hear that you are already interested in helping others. That really bodes well for your recovery...
Old 08-27-2013, 08:14 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome Kevin to the journey, as has been said there is a lot of inspiration and positivity here so feel free to take advantage and give support when you see fit. Stay focused and committed to the journey. Day 2 of my journey.
Old 08-27-2013, 08:39 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Kevin. You have taken the first step to becoming sober. I have been sober for 22 days today with the help of this awesome forum. I feel better today than I have felt in the past 8 years. Hop on and enjoy the road to recovery.
Old 08-27-2013, 10:00 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Realising my life

Hi Kevin. You've made a great first step in joining here. Folk here have much experience and wisdom to share.

I'm now at 7 months sober. So far, it's been easier than I ever thought it would be and I am enjoying my (new) life, free from the hell of alcohol obsession.

Stick with it and you could feel better and happier than it's possible to imagine!
Old 08-27-2013, 11:04 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome Kevin! We all understand how you feel - you're not alone anymore.

Alcohol took over my life and brought me to my knees. It was so hard for me to admit that once it was in my system I had no control. It feels so good to be free of it. You can do this.
Old 08-27-2013, 11:23 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Kevin welcome to a new way of life without drinking. I learned in the beginning to look forward to sobriety one day at a time as the “rest of my life” was too huge and some times one minute at a time was almost unmanageable. Hang in there and good luck.
Old 08-27-2013, 03:00 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Kevin
you'll find a lot of support here

D
Old 08-27-2013, 03:04 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
*Ex Missus

Hi Kevin I'm a noob here myself and when I joined here I was looking desperately for someone to step in and take control of my drinking for me. I since learnt, it's ME who has to take that control and only ME. Instead of feeling lonely about no one understanding anymore, I felt empowered. If these lovely folks can do it so I can I! My day one (after a planned taper) is tommorrow and I look forward to the journey and a new life. Posts like yours just re-enforce that we can do it. Yes, we can
Old 08-27-2013, 03:45 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hello Kevin , great decision. Thank God for Internet lol. I came here too as alcohol brought me into hell. I was looking for a way out. It's a struggle brother there's many ways to achieve sobriety and you will find some great wisdom on here. I promise.
I'm in Scotland so gd luck my Celtic brother
Peace
Old 08-27-2013, 03:52 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Well done Kevin - I can only echo what's been said. Give yourself this chance that you deserve. We will all be beside you - struggling along and supporting and we might even throw in some humour if your lucky lol I hope you stick around.
Old 08-27-2013, 03:57 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
2 detoxes down, 0 to go

Welcome, Kevin.

In my opinion, the most important thing to do in the very beginning is to understand that millions, literally millions, of people have overcome exactly what you're trying to overcome. Surround yourself with them as much as possible and listen to what they have to say, especially in the very early days. You can draw strength and confidence from their strength and confidence.

You can do this. There is no question.
Old 08-27-2013, 05:14 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Welcome! I am 19 days sober and I can say this site has helped me so much!
Old 08-27-2013, 05:23 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hi, Kevin. I'm on day six and have made the same commitment. I highly recommend spending time in SR every day. I had one almost-fail day and then I remember all the things I learned on SR. It is not so easy to go to meetings (of any kind) every day, but it is very easy to pop in here and read a few threads. I've given up all my facebook and youtube indulgences and just read and read and read. At least an hour a day. And we're all over the globe, so there is always someone here. It also seems that about every two hours a new person joins. That blew me away, but I also find it extremely comforting.
Old 08-27-2013, 05:37 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

Hello and welcome, Kevin. I just want you to know that you never have to drink again. Sometimes you may feel like life is empty without alcohol. It's not true. You can fill life up with all the joy you can stand if you're willing to do the work. I hope you find what you're looking for here. I know i have!
Old 08-27-2013, 05:43 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Hi krior, welcome. Read all the posts. Talk in the chatroom. Meetings Tues and Frid at 9pm est in chatroom. I googled everything regarding alcohol withdrawals and recovery that I could find on the internet. You'll get more responses here. It's a great place.
Old 08-27-2013, 11:24 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Welcome from me too and love to my homeland
Old 08-27-2013, 11:48 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Hello Kevin and welcome to SR. This is a great place to come to for advice and support. Read around and post whenever you want x