Notices

Happily sober... until someone tries to convert to religion.

Old 08-27-2013, 01:15 PM
  # 61 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Go get yourself a copy of Anton Lavey's "Satanic Bible" and next time she comes over tell her: I thought about what you told me and you were right, so I went and got me a Bible" then produce the book proudly
Old 08-27-2013, 01:27 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  

There is a Island in the high north around the polar circle, I do not know whether you have ever been high north – there are long dark winters and rather hostile nature op there. And as many places up north there is a lot of superstition. In the beginning of the seventies a critical jounalist revieled that the state department responsible for building roads had a map showing where all the elves, ghosts and other “supernatural” beings lived. There are several different kinds of these and a do not even know the english words for most of them. The purpose of the map was to avoid to disturp the rocks and hils where these beings lived.

The head of the department was intervied rather criticaly by this journalist. “Is it right to use state money for such silly purposes and can an educated, knowlegdable man believe in such creatures in the 19 centory”.

He answered: “I do not believe in such things, but I have no reason to destroy their homes.”

There is no logic in that answer, but it is true all the same.

I seldom get visits form people that mission their religion and most of those are oppliged to do so for religious resouns, they do not bother me.
Old 08-27-2013, 02:02 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Carlotta View Post
Go get yourself a copy of Anton Lavey's "Satanic Bible" and next time she comes over tell her: I thought about what you told me and you were right, so I went and got me a Bible" then produce the book proudly
Hey that's an excellent idea! I was thinking of something that doesn't require the book, such as coming out with something like: "Gee, isn't everyone at tune with the dark lord these days? What say you? I am enraged by his will and he is the only true lord." <- something like this, might freak them out. Hahaha.

Some really interesting things have come up here. I didn't know buddhism is kind of atheist, even though somehow I knew it would be like that. For instance the prayer to self.

Also, there are propably many dictionaries with varying definitions of the words "atheist" and "agnostic" so drawing a clear line may need some external expertise.

Now sober, I feel that it is even harder to try to convert me or lure into another religion against my better judgment than ever. Maybe something works better. It is as if an illusion has been liften and I can see more clearly things and no longer fear things like religions or hell etc.. It is just one more thing I'm happy about.

The idea of the supreme being and atheism "not believing" in that... Maybe there is no easy or clear definition since atheism does not mean close-mindedness. If an atheist, say buddhist atheist can say that they believe that we are and everything is the supreme being then isn't there a little contradiction to the definition/value of the term "atheist"? Mindboggling truly.
Old 08-27-2013, 02:31 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  
No half measures

The best defense against these people are big dirty drooly dogs that demand attention. After their leg has been slimed for the third time they are only too happy to leave you in Godless bliss.
Old 08-27-2013, 02:54 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  
quat

Originally Posted by Amajorityofone View Post
This is clearly a personal interpretation of the word, not the definition of word.

Once again, the dictionary clearly says that the definition of an atheist is one who denies or disbelieves the existence of a supreme being. It doesn't mention anything about lack of belief or seeing evidence.

The beauty of the other side of the argument is that if there is a God, then he must also be Omniscient, in fact, hiding all evidence of his existence and thus forcing you, to accept his existence on faith, and faith alone.

I'm done.
You do see that omniscience takes omnipotence off the table, yes? To know all things implies that the future is known, and if the future is predetermined than no will can change it.

I think one would have to chose between a Prime Knower or a Prime Mover(with all the questions those arguments would beg)
Old 08-27-2013, 03:03 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

I left home at 18 with $50.00 in my pocket to escape from what many would call a cult. I wouldn't be that hard on them. I would just call them old school Christians and nuts totally nuts. Years of deprogramming myself. I am sure she means well. Just be glad this woman is only your neighbor and not your mom. Woowsa all Jesus all the time. Wasn't the world supposed to end like awhile ago?
Old 08-27-2013, 03:24 PM
  # 67 (permalink)  

This is a very interesting explanation of the whole Agnostic/Atheist thing.

Lack of belief in gods - YouTube
Old 08-27-2013, 04:51 PM
  # 68 (permalink)  
Better when never is never

Originally Posted by Amajorityofone View Post
This is clearly a personal interpretation of the word, not the definition of word.
Let me try to be more diplomatic, since my last reply was deleted.

A dictionary is a good place to look up general meanings of words. However, it is generally considered a weaker source for an authoritative basis for a discussion on philosophical ideas. Similarly, Wikipedia is not generally accepted as an authoritative source.
Old 08-27-2013, 05:03 PM
  # 69 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jazzfish View Post
Let me try to be more diplomatic, since my last reply was deleted.

A dictionary is a good place to look up general meanings of words. However, it is generally considered a weaker source for an authoritative basis for a discussion on philosophical ideas. Similarly, Wikipedia is not generally accepted as an authoritative source.
I honestly do not know how to respond to a post like this anymore. For if I were to write what I am really thinking, not only would you be inclined to disagree, which is your natural disposition, but my words will be erased anyway.

Thus, Good day, Sir.
Old 08-27-2013, 08:04 PM
  # 70 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

Originally Posted by DoubleBarrel View Post
This is a very interesting explanation of the whole Agnostic/Atheist thing.

Lack of belief in gods - YouTube
Thank you, that's really an excellent video.
Old 08-28-2013, 01:35 AM
  # 71 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Threshold View Post
Thank you, that's really an excellent video.
Second that. Great vid.