Notices

Happily sober... until someone tries to convert to religion.

Old 08-27-2013, 05:42 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Lol never mind Zoe there's always next time it's the taking part that counts (so they say lol) x
Old 08-27-2013, 05:44 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Yeah and has been a great fun too x
That was in reply to Emily by the way.
We were just lightening the mood - was getting a little angsty in here. Laughter is sometimes the best medicine
Old 08-27-2013, 05:58 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I hope amajorityofone wasn't meaning me and Zoe's wee bit of humour - we might be alcoholics and sure it's a serious subject but laughter is great therapy we have all admitted our problems but me personally I could share experience and advice all day but I like a wee but of friendship and normality amidst the serious side and supportive side too. That's all. If my joking is offensive then I'm sorry it's just the way I am and there's no point being all doom and gloom all the time because if we all do that then we will just drag each other down. Balance is key yes it's serious but we are not by any way void of personality.
Old 08-27-2013, 06:00 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I'll clarify a bit more: It was just a moment that happened and it was a semi-hostile conversion-attempt, propably not intended that way as the person is nice, just too pushy, that's it. It concerns me very little what other people believe in, I just want to be left alone when it comes to those questions. And I'll keep my beliefs to me stubbornly and there is nothing anyone can really do about it.

And this is about sobriety, I was venting an event in my real life that was causing me some concern and venting is a great way to calm down... now I erred a bit with my layout of the post and know it gives a little bit of an unkind image/attitude towards a large unspecified group of people of any religion/beliefs... That's once more...

The last thing I'd have wanted this to become is arguing about beliefs. It doesn't lead anywhere as someone pointed out and it doesn't mean anything either... I guess. I have religious friends. One of my good friends is a Christian priest and that doesn't change my attitude towards them as friend. It is about the individual and individual event at hand at the moment.
Old 08-27-2013, 06:17 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

She brought a little dog with her and lifted the dog up as it was jesus speaking.

I feel sorry for the dog....and dog spelled backwards is.....(just a bit of of wry humor here, nothing serious). If I picked up my little Pom and starting preaching at the neighbors, they would never speak to me again.

I am not athiest or overly religious, I love my pets.
Old 08-27-2013, 06:42 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Fandy View Post
I feel sorry for the dog....and dog spelled backwards is.....(just a bit of of wry humor here, nothing serious). If I picked up my little Pom and starting preaching at the neighbors, they would never speak to me again.
LOL. Never thought about that one.
You got something right about the other neighbours. They look and talk like this one person with strange looks and so on... other neighbours I mean.

Well it is really not entirely the first time something like this has happened. I've gotten religious flyers and magazines down my door's mailshaft. It says: "no ads" on the door. What are those people thinking? Should I bake some rotten pie and toss it in their mail and throw it in through a window so they would have been "corrected to the real fabulous pie mindset, now you can't bake any other kind of pie, if you do, you're a heretic".

Just like a pushy salesman.
Ah! Scenario 1) Buy this Airconditioner. Price: 50$
Scenario 2) Buy this religion. Price: your mind, originality and soul.

With the above I'm just saying that there are people who would be damaged or hindered were they absolutely gotten into very religious beliefs. And I guess anyone can admit to that possibility. To me it's like sawdust in the gears. Doesn't belong there. Quite the reply-magnet this thread has become.
Old 08-27-2013, 06:43 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
A Smart Bug is a Sober Bug!

I saw this post this morning and I cringed. Religion. Lack of religion. Puppy dogs. I left the house to bring the kids to school.

When I got home I saw that there are two pages. 2 pages of conversation already. In the few minutes I was gone!! In the early morning!

I was afraid. Very afraid.

I opened it carefully... and scanned for little yellow image showing Dee's inevitable post. Of course he has to be in this post - it is 2 pages already!! I got my coffee and wondered if I should make some popcorn for the show.

Ok, it should be ok. Dee says no flaming. It is possible for a bunch of addicts to talk about religion right? Right?

I had to refresh. It could have been deleted and I would have nothing to worry about. It might not even be there anymore and I wouldn't have to read it!

F5 shows it still there!

So with trepidation, I started to read.

Well done friends. Well done.
Old 08-27-2013, 07:20 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by UnixBer View Post
<- maybe the globe and sun together can? The planet likes to rotate on its axis.

Yep I think this subject should be left alone. And it wasn't that big of a nuisance that person, just something I dislike people doing... I find it selfish.
Otherwise the person has good sides and may be a nice person. But I need to keep away from religion for my own mental health's sake.

So sorry if anyone finds this disturbing, offending etc...

It is true that any belief (including atheism) can be showed down people's throat. Sure, obviously. A knife can be used as a weapon or to cook food. It is all about the individual, not really what they believe in. I was maybe subtly stating that the person who came to me is a selfish a-hole, regardless of their belief. Thanks all for your patience. We can drop this subject here.
Fair enough Sir Be Well and I will try to do the same!
Old 08-27-2013, 07:53 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Every Mother's Worst Nightmare

Originally Posted by earthsteps View Post
I saw this post this morning and I cringed. Religion. Lack of religion. Puppy dogs. I left the house to bring the kids to school.

When I got home I saw that there are two pages. 2 pages of conversation already. In the few minutes I was gone!! In the early morning!

I was afraid. Very afraid.

I opened it carefully... and scanned for little yellow image showing Dee's inevitable post. Of course he has to be in this post - it is 2 pages already!! I got my coffee and wondered if I should make some popcorn for the show.

Ok, it should be ok. Dee says no flaming. It is possible for a bunch of addicts to talk about religion right? Right?

I had to refresh. It could have been deleted and I would have nothing to worry about. It might not even be there anymore and I wouldn't have to read it!

F5 shows it still there!

So with trepidation, I started to read.

Well done friends. Well done.
That made me laugh. This news just in. Believers believe and non-believers....don't. Either way, won't make a difference to whether I drink today or not.
Old 08-27-2013, 08:05 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  
quat

A la Dawkins, I am just about as atheist as xtians, I just tick off one more on the list.

Religious beliefs of others is beyond my concern, but I am very wary of others' stated political beliefs and actions. Being an American I am very concerned about individual rights and mistaken views on democracy that are stripping them away. Their beliefs and actions that can really 'get' me, here on Earth.
Old 08-27-2013, 08:09 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

What does your neighbor's religion have to do with being happily sober?
Old 08-27-2013, 08:44 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  
quat

Originally Posted by Threshold View Post
What does your neighbor's religion have to do with being happily sober?
Being a self identified sinner could lead to unearned guilt and remorsefulness ?
Old 08-27-2013, 08:48 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Uh---nothing

But sober is just that--nothing more, nothing less!
Old 08-27-2013, 08:51 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Neighbor sounds a wee bit batty. As someone who has gotten a great deal from the stories of Christ I find it sad that she is held up as the poster girl. God (like AA I believe) works by invitation/attraction..if you want it. Nobody has the right to ram their perspective down your throat...whatever that may be. That poor woman has issues.
Old 08-27-2013, 08:56 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  
quat

blackcat
I agree being sober is abstaining from intoxicants, it's the natural state of being. I think though that some peoples' accepted beliefs can keep them from being happy.
Old 08-27-2013, 09:09 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Hahahahaha! This entire thread just makes me LOL! I like how it turned out to be humorous.

Hey, UnixBer - when I first met my neighbor, she peered into my car window and exclaimed, "Your teeth are beautiful! Are they real???" Ummm, yeah. My point is that neighbors can be wacky (religious or not), but we have to live next to them so we might as well be nice, right? I know you don't have the same belief system as her, but why not just quietly say to yourself, "Whoa. What a nutjob!" Accepting a bible from your neighbor is not the end of the world, nor is it her trying to shove her beliefs down your throat. Just consider it a historical text and nothing more. Or, use it to light the next bon fire you have! I live is a state that has a heavy Mormon population and if one of my neighbors offered me a Book of Mormon, I'd say, "Thank you very much!" and then offer THEM a copy of The Good Book. Turnabout is fair play, right? *wink-wink*
Old 08-27-2013, 09:13 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

It truly is the state into which we were born!! Apparently we strayed from such---I certainly did!
Old 08-27-2013, 09:26 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  
quat

Originally Posted by Blackcat11 View Post
It truly is the state into which we were born!! Apparently we strayed from such---I certainly did!
As to straying Brian Seltzer had nothing on me but I'm back and staying!
You too I hope!, wish you well
Old 08-27-2013, 09:29 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Thank you Sir!
Old 08-27-2013, 09:30 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jazzfish View Post
I try to remember that the person is only trying to pass on what has helped them in their life. If I don't want to hear it, then I simply say "I don't like to discuss religion."

Any beliefs can be "shoved down people's throats", even atheism.
Atheism is not a belief.

It literally means, NOT Theist.

Religious people constantly seem to want to put Atheists on the other side of their belief, like its some Left/Right thing.

Atheism is not a belief in nothing. Its a lack of belief. Open to new evidence to the contrary.