Notices

Closing in on 30 days...

Old 08-26-2013, 12:38 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Closing in on 30 days...

Today is day 24. Just checking in. I'm doing well, still have not gone back to AA and still thinking about it. I don't know why but I'm nervous about it. I did go to church last weekend though and have been spending time with friends and talking to my family more. I'm really enjoying sobriety and so far, haven't had the urge to drink. I'm still dealing with quite a bit of anxiety. I've been meditating most nights and have started jogging again which is helping. I'm planning on taking a mindfulness based stress reduction class next month. But mostly, I'm just taking it easy and trying not to put too many expectations on myself which I tend to do. I can't believe I have almost 30 days, I can't remember the last time in my adult life I went that long without alcohol. WOW.

Hope everyone is doing well.
Old 08-26-2013, 12:45 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 24 days
Old 08-26-2013, 12:48 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
A Smart Bug is a Sober Bug!

YAY!!! Congrats on the 24 days.
Old 08-26-2013, 12:50 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by cryingbuddha77 View Post
bit of anxiety. I've been meditating most nights and have started jogging again which is helping. I'm planning on taking a mindfulness based stress reduction class next month. Hope everyone is doing well.
Congratulations on 24 days!

When I stopped drinking I entered a mindfulness meditation program offered by the local university hospital. I can't say enough about how much it has helped. Don't hesitate to take the class and keep at it! it took me three months before the light came on and I started to see how I was able to handle stress and anxiety. Also, I now have successfully started to deal with the internal mental chatter that I tried to drink/drug away for so long. it's work. Just like learning to do anything you need to practice but it's worth it. I honestly feel that mindfulness meditation has been an important part of staying sober and has given me a way to be happy again.
Old 08-26-2013, 12:50 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Well done. The anxiety will ease off. The time flies when your sober doesn't it! Good work on the jogging. You must feel alot healthier already. Keep it up
Old 08-26-2013, 12:56 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

@ Bruce292, I've been meditating off and on for years...mostly off when I was drinking. I don't make it to the mat every night, but on nights I do I definitely feel better. I studied MBSR in grad school and have wanted to take the 8-week course since then, was fortunate to happen upon a course starting in September, costs $300 but then, I've probably saved almost that much not buying beer for the past month! So, this is my reward to myself. And yes, I agree it will probably be a lot of work, but totally worth it I'm sure.

Congratulations on your sobriety and glad to hear how mindfulness has impacted you. PM me if you want to discuss mindfulness/meditation/Buddhism : )
Old 08-26-2013, 03:39 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Well done on the 24 days, keep up the good work.