Notices

Day 1 of Vicodin withdrawl. This is so hard.

Old 08-26-2013, 10:34 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 1 of Vicodin withdrawl. This is so hard.

Yesterday I decided to quit taking 20-30 vicodin 10/325 every day. I started this horrible drug about 9 months ago & this is the first time I have ever tried to quit. This is so hard. I have been reading the threads here & have gotten some really good tips. I have 2 children a husband who is disabled 2 step children 1 who is severely mentally challenged & a highly stressful job. I started self medicating to try to take away that overwhelming feeling, but it has gotten completely out of control & I started feeling horrible from the pills. I'm so tired of being agitated with my kids not enjoying them & my family. I have a wonderful supportive husband who understands because he has dealt with his own demons. Today I am shaky, my legs are twitchy & my brain feels like it is spinning non stop. It is better now than it was this morning at 6 am but I know this is going to be the hardest thing I have ever done. I appreciate any supportive words & kindness. Thanks so much for being here as this site has given me hope!
Old 08-26-2013, 10:52 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

The problem with the Opiate-based pills is the your body gets used to them and you need more and more with decreasing effect.

The good news is that you will have 5 days of discomfort, peaking at 3 or 4 days. Ironically, exercise and hot showers help. I know you do not want to do this, but really, I followed a de-tox method that was most helpful. Also get some electrolytes (Whole Foods, under the brand name "Country Life" has a good one in one pill. You need all three for the balance. It will definitely help with the RLS and cramping that go on. Drink lots of water!
Old 08-26-2013, 02:25 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome Rikijoy

you'll find a lot of support here

D
Old 08-26-2013, 02:36 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Saved By Grace

Well Rikijoy I feel for you, I really do. I've gone through opiate withdrawals probley 20+ times so if I can do it you can do it. Keep in mind that kicking vicodin is not going to be pleasant, but it's not going to be like kicking heroin, suboxone, methadone, or morphine. My guess it will be very uncomfortable for 2-3 days and by Day 4 you'll be so glad and see the light. I know I am, I am seven days off suboxone and recently had to kick and yeah the RLS and sneezing, yawning, watery eyes, depression, anxiety, really really sucks.

You had 9 months of using and eventually tolerance gets higher or we have to switch up to more powerful opiates. It's a viscious cycle, and if you want to guarentee that you will one day loose your great husband and kids, keep self-medicating with opiates. As they say "you paid for the ticket, now take the ride." There is no easy cure but movies, showers, walks outside... This wont be easy but cmon you CAN get through this. If you don't, then you will prolong the inevitable "kick" making it even worse than at the 9 month mark. If you get on suboxone then you have to kick that eventually and subsux to kick, trust me its no fun. Just remember that yours was a fairly small habbit, be glad, and get out before it gets worse, and it always does ;/ Come into the chat room and bend an ear if things get too rough.

Last edited by YoungAndClean; 08-26-2013 at 02:37 PM. Reason: typo
Old 08-26-2013, 06:11 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Haven't had experience with pills but cannot imagine it's a lot of fun breaking the habit.

Be strong and remember your family. There is nothing more important in your life.

Good luck!!!
Old 08-26-2013, 06:14 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome, and I'm glad you decided to live a sober life.
Old 08-26-2013, 07:26 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Day 1. I understand how hard it is. Opiate/opioid dependence is a horrid trap I wouldn't wish on anyone. At some level I can understand the stress you're going through. I have a disabled son who we raised. It was hard ... really hard. The fact that you're a care giver for disabled family members is admirable. I also understand why the lure of opiates pulled you in. It pulled me in too. It seemed like a miracle at first ... then it turned into a nightmare. Always making sure I had enough ... always living in fear of running out.

It's your first day so you have the aches and pains, probably a runny nose, and a deep sadness. Do you have access to a doctor you can contact? A friend who can help while you go through this?

Hang in there, get some help if you can. Keep posting.
Old 08-26-2013, 07:57 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi, sister this is going to pass! Life after opiates is sweet u will start to feel things again besides pain!! Trust me when i say NOW is the best time to go through it . I started taking lortabs when my daughter war one progessed to methadone eventually heroine. I lost everything to opiates , including myself. Ok the Great news is i have 20 months clean today and i am loving life!! Even the sad things arnt that bad you will have a full range of emotions. The best advice i can give you is take hot bubble baths,get ur husband to give u a massage and have.at least a few orgasms, no joke its the third day is the worst, after that yor out the woods. Love and prayers the Best natural thing to help your body produce those feel good chemicals in your brain. Normally i,, wouldnt say that to a stranger on line but this is opiate withdrawl! Trust me. Anyone smat and brave enough to want to kick this deserves all the happiness in the universe
Old 08-26-2013, 11:02 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

You might want to Google the "Thomas Remedy", which gives some excellent advise on over the counter meds that will help greatly with your withdrawal symptoms. Good luck to you...not only are you getting rid of a nasty opiate addiction, but your liver will thank you for not taking all of that acetaminophen that is in Victorian...you were at highly toxic levels. Be kind to yourself, and remember that this too will pass.