Notices

Not sure how this is going to go....

Old 08-25-2013, 06:01 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Not sure how this is going to go....

I am going to be brutally honest with this forum which I haven't been able to do with anyone I know except for one. So here goes...I have never tried to quit drinking. I have been a heavy drinker since I was 14 years old. Remember that video of the kids with the girl who was so drunk she could not do anything while men abused her. Well, that happened to me, in fact, that's how I lost my virginity. There were older guys there, and they just put a bunch of different kinds of alcohol in a glass, and I drank it. I just remember this person had there hand over my mouth and I was in and out of consciousness. I am glad there weren't cell phones everywhere back then. When I look back, I can see that so many bad things have evolved from my drinking. My current relationship has forced the issue of abstinence, although I have been telling myself for years that I am sick of the hangovers, and feeling spun out. My current partner has a mental illness that is severely exacerbated if he drinks, and when he met me, he started drinking. He had been sober for a year prior. I feel horrible about that. He has alcohol induced schizophrenia sometimes when he drinks. We never knew when it might happen, and it was a danger to both myself and him. He is on probation due to this, and when the police were called last week, that was it for both of us. Our lives are at stake. He has support through the VA. His problems are complex, PTSD, depression, possible mild schizo affective disorder, but this is not about him. He is on anti depressants, and is done drinking. He will end up incarcerated if he does not quit. That is his journey to go on, and if we survive I will be grateful. I am realizing that when I stop drinking, (and really since 2009, even while drinking), I have a severe underlying depression. I don't know where to turn for help because I think I need meds, my mother is a social worker and agrees, but I am so depressed, I think what's the point. I just go to work, feel sad, and removed from everyone and everything. I am an actress and had an exciting life both acting and touring with bands. Alcohol always figured prominently. Now I have a boring job, I live in a place I can't stand because it all came to a horrible head in 2009 while touring. My mother said when I came off the tour I "smelled like an alcoholic", it was literally oozing out of my pores. I ended up living with someone I did not care about, cheating with an ex, having an unplanned pregnancy, and terminating it very early. I will never be able to have a child. I am in my 40's now, and that was the only chance, and I made it all wrong with my poor decisions, and fear. I hate myself, and feel so much guilt. I am not a bad person. I severely screwed my life up, and I don't know if I can handle sobriety and the TRUTH of what I have done with, and to my life. I also have been abused and used by ex boyfriends, all addicts of one kind or another. I want to get back to who I know I really am. A sociable, fun engaging person, but I feel totally lost. Maybe that was never who I was, just the alcohol. It was fun, until it wasn't. It took over twenty years for this to happen. I think that middle age and the "sobering" reality that I have not accomplished anything really cannot be salved with alcohol anymore. It quit working. I have to face life head on, sans alcohol, but I am scared. The joke of this, is that I had stopped drinking for six days and just a couple of days ago, I had a couple of glasses of wine, so FAILURE already. The thing is, it wasn't fun drinking that wine. I'm bored with drinking, I am sitting with the depression and discomfort, and it is difficult. People who know me think I am this pretty, confident, and strong person. They have no idea. This is just honesty. I don't want to talk about negative crap, but.. Cherry on top, I found out I had Hep C in 2009, and I kept drinking heavily. A biopsy revealed no liver damage unbelievably.
Old 08-25-2013, 06:07 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Sherman, welcome.
Old 08-25-2013, 06:11 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by sherman23 View Post
I am sitting with the depression and discomfort, and it is difficult.
Yes, it is difficult and scary. Most of us have been through that. I know it's hard to imagine feeling better and living life without alcohol, but you can do it. It could be that your depression will clear up within a month or two as it could be caused or made worse by the alcohol. If it doesn't, then maybe it's time to talk to your dr about medication.

Hang in there and you can get through this.
Old 08-25-2013, 06:11 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks pinkdog, sorry to barrage with negativity out of the gate on my new to post! I actually have a wicked sense of humor, and not 100 percent doom and gloom! Just being honest with current dealings surrounding alcohol since this is a sober recovery kinda place. One thing I like is that I find humor all around me, sometimes dark, sometimes silly. Anyway....
Old 08-25-2013, 06:12 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

That's kind of what I was thinking. Give it a little bit of time before making that call.
Old 08-25-2013, 06:23 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I read your story right after I came from an open talk meeting. The woman speaking had a story like yours. She is now over a year sober and her life has changed so much and she is amazed how her life is now. So inspiring. There is hope, there is help. Keep coming here. Welcome to SR!
Old 08-25-2013, 06:41 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

You're never too old to quit. I quit drinking 31 days ago. I am age 55.

Welcome aboard and best wishes for a full and healthy recovery!
Old 08-25-2013, 06:57 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Wow, thanks for the support here! It really makes a difference to know others have been there, and are rooting for others. My dog is one of my little saviors. He makes me go take him for walks and then I always feel better for it. He truly is a therapy dog!
Old 08-25-2013, 07:09 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome.
I can relate to a lot of what you wrote in your post. My story may be less dramatic, but i suffered from depression for a long time and treated it with alcohol, a depressant. Surprisingly, it didn't work.
I have been struggling with sobriety for about a year, and am currently about 6 weeks sober. I have never felt better, but the scary part is I still think about drinking. But I didn't today and am so glad about that.

I have found a lot of wisdom on this forum.
Old 08-25-2013, 07:10 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Seeing a professional about depression helped me a lot. Depression and alcohol do not mix. I hope you feel better soon.
Old 08-25-2013, 07:36 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome to the family Sherman! I felt so much better when I could talk openly here - I think it will really help you. I'm glad you reached out.

My dog (a puppy at the time) was one of my reasons for quitting too. She deserved better than me. I'm sorry for all you've been through. I hope this can be the beginning of a brand new day for you - and I know you can reconnect with that person inside.
Old 08-25-2013, 07:38 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Recovering ostrich

Welcome to the board! You can do this and it is really worth it.
Old 08-25-2013, 07:39 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome Sherman, you have some heavy stuff going on, but there's no reason why you can't turn things around. I'd suggest AA meetings if you haven't tried AA before. Even if you don't feel you would use AA long term, you should at least check it out. You will at least be around sober people.

Regarding the incident that happened when you were younger; have you addressed this with therapy or counseling? That would be a heavy burden to carry around. God I hate hearing stories like that. And I hope you know you weren't at fault.

Anyway, stick around. Many of us are in the early stages of recovery. Many of us have slipped and then recommitted, so you are not alone.