Notices

I always laughed at pot addiction withdrawal

Old 08-25-2013, 10:03 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy I always laughed at pot addiction withdrawal

Not anymore. I have quit booze and opiate but thought pot was gonna be easy. BS I'm addicted and feeling down. Family is supportive but clueless. I really have nothing to complain about just need a supportive ear that can relate and give tips to feeling better. New baby coming is my reason for quitting. That n money. Help it hurts
Old 08-25-2013, 02:00 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Just soldier through the down time, you'll feel better in the end.
Old 08-25-2013, 02:04 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yeah, pot was the last thing I gave up. Not long ago, either. Didn't smoke it much towards the end, but always had a small stash laying around in my drawer, my security blanket. Tossing that out must have triggered something, because not long afterwards I was having very vivid dreams, just like I did when I quit the booze. Creeped me out.

It IS an addiction. I was told otherwise after getting sober from booze, but that's a lie. Breaking up with mary jane can be nasty. While the withdrawls aren't as bad, I definitely noticed some irritability - I know others here have mentioned they would really snap at others and had a terrible time getting off the weed.

You are not alone. Been there, still dealing with it. And it feels awesome to get over that hump. You're doing the right thing and keep soldiering on.
Old 08-25-2013, 02:30 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Nothing is impossible!

Originally Posted by SuperRickHenry View Post
Not anymore. I have quit booze and opiate but thought pot was gonna be easy. BS I'm addicted and feeling down. Family is supportive but clueless. I really have nothing to complain about just need a supportive ear that can relate and give tips to feeling better. New baby coming is my reason for quitting. That n money. Help it hurts
Any substance with a chemical make up that changes your emotions or thoughts is addicting and will always come with withdrawal after extended use. This can be anything, even over the counter sleep aids (as I am finding out). Hang in there, soon it will be one less thing controlling you.
Old 08-25-2013, 02:40 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Symptoms and severity of symptoms of marijuana withdrawal can vary from person to person. A lot of people really don't get much in the way of withdrawal symptoms from it, but some of us really do.

When I quit after smoking a lot all day every day, it made me very nauseous, it was hard to eat and even after I did I still felt sick. I had terrible chills... my body temperature dropped like a rock and when it was 100+ degrees (Fahrenheit) outside, it was completely comfortable to me. And I had more than a little irritability... I spent a day or two on the floor crying and felt severe depression, and anger.

The good news is that the intense withdrawal symptoms only last about a week. It gets better and it's worth it to be free of it.

Things that helped me were going on walks. I remember day 1 I felt so wretched I couldn't keep up my normal quick pace and was walking like a snail, but that improved by the second or third day. Drinking lots of water and eating as much as you can also help. So do showers.

Newer evidence is also showing that there is Post Acute Withdrawal Syndrome (PAWS) associated with quitting weed as well. A period of 6 months to 2 years after you quit that your brain is still healing from the changes from doing drugs. This article may help or you can Google it if you want. Post-Acute Withdrawal Symptoms - Relapse Prevention Strategies

Healthy eating and exercise are the best things for PAWS
Old 08-25-2013, 09:41 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I smoked for 30 years or so - it wasn't pleasant for me quitting either, but you can make it through Rick.

You should find you feel a little better each day - and the support you'll find here will really help

D
Old 08-26-2013, 05:36 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I quit because of a baby on the way. I stayed quit because I like being free! Having a clear head, not being pushed around by cravings, that's what keeps me straight.

Hang in there, find things that work for you to fight the cravings, and deal with feeling gross, bad dreams, lack of sleep (wait, no sleep, that's just practice for when the baby arrives! LOL).

My best suggestion is to write down EXACTLY how you are feeling, every day. Put the list where you keep your money or your weed. Read it before you go out to smoke or buy more weed, in a weak moment. At the top put something like "THIS IS NOT FOR NOTHING" and remember to also put down the ways you are feeling better, not just how you are feeling bad. You could also put an ultrasound picture with it. Or put it on your bathroom mirror, on the front door, your steering wheel, wherever you will see it and remember why you are doing this, what the suffering is for now, and how you are getting better every day.

Stay strong, keep reading and posting.
Old 08-26-2013, 06:06 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thank u all. Wow
Old 08-26-2013, 06:08 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Day 3 is in 30 minutes. Every day seems better just dealing with the brain wars and lack of sleep. When did your sleep pattern return to normal and the ickys are gone.?
Old 08-26-2013, 06:26 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I know for me it took 4 months, but I was pregnant and I thought all the symptoms I was having were due to that. It wasn't until I came to SR and started reading the withdrawl symptoms of quitting weed that I realised a lot of it could have been that. I'll never know. Certainly the dreams. ...

Just eat healthy, exercise, and engage yourself in everything you can that is enjoyable and takes your mind off feeling gross.
Old 08-26-2013, 07:11 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I never had a problem with sleep when I quit (although I did have really vivid dreams after about a week for a week or two).

But in general, I started feeling a lot better after the first week.
Old 08-26-2013, 08:57 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I honestly think pot is the worst drug out there- just because of the sheer subtlety of it. You won't wake up hungover, you won't punch a cop, you won't beat your wife, no calories, pretty tough to get into any real legal trouble, your liver won't conk out on you, you won't bleed out through your esophagus etc...

It can be so incredibly difficult to cut this thing out of your life with so few overt consequences and before you know it you have missed out on significant portions of life without ever even knowing it. It honestly scares the crap out of me.
Old 08-26-2013, 09:07 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

That is a really clear way of looking at pot addiction!

THAT is exactly why I struggle with what to do while living with my AH.