Notices

So yall helped me with ma plan...

Old 08-26-2013, 06:13 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

We don't hate you. We want to see you succeed. This board is full of addicts just like yourself (I am one of them!) that want to help other alcoholics and addicts find sobriety. I know it sounds cliche - in my case, I kept on drinking after I had a withdrawl seizure. And then another. It took the third one and a meeting with a medical professional who told me that my next seizure could be my last to get me to take this seriously.

I tried to taper as well. Well, I didn't try, really. It was more of an excuse, a way to make myself feel better. I was "at least trying" and I got to keep drinking - it was hard for me to do it too, which made me assume that since it was hard, it must be healthy. This turned out not to be true because I ended up binging again and just said "f* it" and went right back to my old habits.

It does not surprise me that, when left to your own choices (even against medical recommendations) that you have decided to continue drinking. It also does not surprise me that you have come up with "valid" reasons to do so (you do not want to take meds), and that you have created a list of things you "possibly might" do (you have a list of AA meetings). This is all very normal behavior for someone addicted to alcohol. I would have likely done the same. It was only on the third near-death experience in an 8 month span and a family intervention of sorts that finally got me into a rehab clinic.

We are pulling for you. And you are being honest, which is a huge step. Just remember, SR is here to assist you with the information we gather from our own experiences. Many of us have been there, been in denial, and spent months and years in couceling. Our knowledge can help, if you decide to listen. You have to really want it though. Do you?
Old 08-27-2013, 02:47 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
*Ex Missus

Originally Posted by Murchovski View Post
You seem to be engaged in an interesting approach.
Bit of a maverick, hey!

Anyhow I wish you well and hope it all comes together for you.......................
TY and Lol I like this ... a Maverick yes

Originally Posted by bigsombrero View Post
We don't hate you. We want to see you succeed. This board is full of addicts just like yourself (I am one of them!) that want to help other alcoholics and addicts find sobriety. I know it sounds cliche - in my case, I kept on drinking after I had a withdrawl seizure. And then another. It took the third one and a meeting with a medical professional who told me that my next seizure could be my last to get me to take this seriously.

I tried to taper as well. Well, I didn't try, really. It was more of an excuse, a way to make myself feel better. I was "at least trying" and I got to keep drinking - it was hard for me to do it too, which made me assume that since it was hard, it must be healthy. This turned out not to be true because I ended up binging again and just said "f* it" and went right back to my old habits.

It does not surprise me that, when left to your own choices (even against medical recommendations) that you have decided to continue drinking. It also does not surprise me that you have come up with "valid" reasons to do so (you do not want to take meds), and that you have created a list of things you "possibly might" do (you have a list of AA meetings). This is all very normal behavior for someone addicted to alcohol. I would have likely done the same. It was only on the third near-death experience in an 8 month span and a family intervention of sorts that finally got me into a rehab clinic.

We are pulling for you. And you are being honest, which is a huge step. Just remember, SR is here to assist you with the information we gather from our own experiences. Many of us have been there, been in denial, and spent months and years in couceling. Our knowledge can help, if you decide to listen. You have to really want it though. Do you?
I hear ya and I agree to a certain extent, I don't want exams n meds cos I'm scared. I've never been one for the doctors! Although, I'm not sure I'm tapering to continue drinking... I would have gone cold turkey nearly a week ago if I hadn't been advised here not to! I'm very much of a rip the band aid of fast kind of person. That's not to say, I wouldn't have suffered or gone right back to drinking a few days later without real support though. So I am glad I've taken a bit more time over it and I'm now actively seeking recovery. Believe me, two weeks ago I thought it was impossible to reach the stage where I wanted to quit. Reading and talking to folks here, I began building momentum.

That said, tonight, my monkey mind was saying I shouldn't just buy one shot of voddie, just incase the withdrawal was too bad/save money buy a 1/4... 1/4 is nothing compared to what you are used to drinking/ you're doing so well, you deserve it... etc etc etc... And, I am ashamed to say I did buy a 1/4 and not my single shot like I'd intended. But I'm also happy to report I then came home, read more here, poured out one glass (it maybe a double :/) and then poured the bottle away and I still havent drank it yet. Infact, I find the wide awakeness from tapered amounts of drink, so mind numbingly, painfully boring, that I intend to shot it down whilst listening to my sleep meds. THEN i'm day ONE and I AM going to AA tommorrow! I've got the postcode ready for ma sat nav after work. I am also going to Slimming world before it cos I have a hour to kill. So I am committed to this! And, just pray I don't have any physical complications. That's my only worry from this method and from all I have read so far!

Anyway I've written a novel again. Just TY guys for your continued support and advice.
Old 08-27-2013, 03:02 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
No half measures

When are planning day one?
Old 08-27-2013, 03:25 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
*Ex Missus

Originally Posted by wakko View Post
When are planning day one?
Tommorrow! I've cut back over a week to one shot, well it maybe a double! I've also got a second appt at doc the day after tommorrow, cos I refused any kind of meds. I'm also AA tommorrow night where I hope to make the real life part of my plan cos I don't have one yet! Like handling cravings, triggers etc...
Old 08-27-2013, 03:29 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Good job Jack! I tapered down too and been sober quite a spell now. Isn't it amazing that you never HAVE to drink again! What a relief! Here is to day one!
Old 08-27-2013, 03:53 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

The AA meeting is a big step - and an important one for early recovery. I am not active at this point but it really helped set the stage in my recovery and I'm glad I went in the early stages. I think you will be too! It will be great - I'd suggest asking around here on SR about going to your first meeting, you'll get some fantastic feedback! Remember, one step at a time.
Old 08-27-2013, 04:46 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
*Ex Missus

Originally Posted by bigsombrero View Post
The AA meeting is a big step - and an important one for early recovery. I am not active at this point but it really helped set the stage in my recovery and I'm glad I went in the early stages. I think you will be too! It will be great - I'd suggest asking around here on SR about going to your first meeting, you'll get some fantastic feedback! Remember, one step at a time.
Ty Yes, I don't really know what to expect! I've read the free books and read a lil on the forum. I don't mind Spirituality. Infact, i believe in a lot of what I read. I guess I just remember AA meetings from TV lol. I'm sure it'll be encouraging! I've just had my last shot and I'm a hour into my 8 hour sleep hypnosis.... May take a while to drop off but it does carry me through the night. Hope this works out! I'll keep you all posted x
Old 08-27-2013, 05:10 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Cool - good luck. And like I said, one step at a time. Don't worry about the spirituality, steps, sponsors, etc right now (in my opinion). There is no need to do anything except for show up and listen, with an open mind. Good night!
Old 08-27-2013, 05:51 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JackDsMissus View Post
Ty Yes, I don't really know what to expect! I've read the free books and read a lil on the forum. I don't mind Spirituality. Infact, i believe in a lot of what I read. I guess I just remember AA meetings from TV lol. I'm sure it'll be encouraging! I've just had my last shot and I'm a hour into my 8 hour sleep hypnosis.... May take a while to drop off but it does carry me through the night. Hope this works out! I'll keep you all posted x
Good luck with day one. I am curious to hear how it goes with AA.