Notices

Taking precautions with Hydrocodone

Old 08-24-2013, 09:40 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Taking precautions with Hydrocodone

As I woke up again after a nice long sober sleep it suddenly occurred to me that I need to be careful with the pain meds I am taking for my appendectomy last Wednesday morning.

Never had a problem with pills. Ever. I am in pain to be sure and don't think I can just stop taking them. I would sure hate to substitute pills for my booze problem though. I don't really notice any type of high but they are helping with pain and I suspect with sleep as well.

Never been in a situation like this. Never had surgery and never really needed pain pills.

I have ZERO desire to drink so that is not a problem right now but damn - it sure would be frustrated to suddenly need hydrocodone to sleep.

Just rambling in case anyone has had a similar experience had some thoughts.
Old 08-24-2013, 09:42 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I would say that as long as you take them as prescribed, you'll be ok.
Old 08-24-2013, 09:56 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
A Smart Bug is a Sober Bug!

I had to have some heavy duty pain killers when I had surgery in June. I turned them all over to my husband to give me at the correct time. It really helped. I wouldn't want to transfer my addiction to those!
Old 08-24-2013, 12:22 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hey DB - I was an alcoholic, and only an alcoholic. Sure, I'd use drugs, but they didn't do "it" for me like alcohol. My wife has Vicodin around for a chronic back problem (she takes maybe 4-6 a year; they actually expire at times). Well, I'd occasionally take a 1/2 for pain or severe anxiety. Didn't get high, they didn't 'trip my trigger'. But as anxiety in my life grew, so did the frequency of the times I took them. I eventually became somewhat physically addicted, and very psychologically addicted.

I also loved what opiates (Vicodin, oxycodone, oxycontin) did for my drinking - it really enhanced the "it" I still craved to feel.

I'm not drinking or using, but I can't use mind/emotion-altering substances safely because I'm powerless over where they'll lead me (e.g. back to drinking).

Just my experience - hope you can quit taking them soon. Does the doc know you had a drinking problem?

-Dylan

P.S. I don't have to have a conscious, active desire to drink for it to happen. I don't know if you've ever had the experience, but there are times when I just sort of end up doing it, even though I had "zero desire". Not saying you'll drink...just glad you're paying attention.
Old 08-24-2013, 12:37 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Right now I am taking Tramadol for pain and Flexeril for muscle spasms. My doctor was going to prescribe Hydrocodone (vicodin) but I told her that it is very addictive, so she prescribed me the lesser addictive Tramadol. She only gave me 2 weeks worth of each drug which is not refillable and feels that I won't get addicted to them in 2 weeks. HOWEVER, having said that, it sure has helped with my insomnia! I am going to bed at a normal hour and sleeping like a baby. Worried, too, that I will devise some excuse to my doctor to keep taking them in order to continue sleeping well.
Old 08-24-2013, 12:44 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Marcher

Hey, drunkenbob!
I became addicted to those after a back injury. Prior to that, I'd never had a problem taking pain meds, the few times I needed it. I think it's more of a long-term thing, when taken for chronic pain or recurrent pain. I'd say when you do begin to feel buzzed from them, you probably don't need them any longer. I'd switch to motrin or tylenol at that point. And flush any remaining pills! Good luck!
Old 08-24-2013, 01:29 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Good advice everyone. Guess I'm just hypersensitive to my addiction issues these days :-)

PS - yes my DR was well aware of my alcoholism as he was very adamant that I NEVER take these while drinking. I think in the ER they are not there to try to help improve your lifestyle - just to solve the immediate emergency.