Notices

Newbie...fear that im becoming addicted to meds

Old 08-23-2013, 12:32 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by amysticalsoul View Post
Like i said, i have spoken with my doc about my fears and he blows them off...hes the one that prescribed the xanax in the first place, but he says he doesnt see any evidence of addiction..im not buying off the streets, my scripts last me the amount of days they are suppose to, and im not getting them from any other docs...so to him that means im fine, i guess.....
By the time you are doing this....you are a Full BLOWN ADDICT in the throws of addiction and super full blown with a super hard time stopping that goes beyond where you are now.

You are asking for help Identifying where you are right now in terms of where you don't want to go...

That is brave...and scary. Find another way to control your anxiety (i know this is hard cause I have it too).
Old 08-23-2013, 12:35 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
A Smart Bug is a Sober Bug!

I agree with Jaynie - a GP is not an addiction counselor.

What a beast Xanax is - or even others in the benzo family. I will never forget my experience with it.
Old 08-23-2013, 12:35 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Elini,
Yes i mentioned to my doc that i have taken more on some days than the recommended dosage...he knows that stress that i am under daily and that after ten years i am still not dealing well with the loss of my parents and i have other health issues that cause anxiety and so i guess he thinks i need it...i dont have to ask for a script he just writes it when i come in if it has been the allotted amout of time. He has not mentioned weaning me and has told me to look at it this way "diabetics have to take insulin to live and funtion, You have to take xanax to function" ugh!!
Old 08-23-2013, 12:36 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Marcher

I had my dr actually say "As long as you're not pawning your wedding ring, you're not an addict." This, after I voiced concerns about being addicted.
Old 08-23-2013, 12:37 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Hello,
you are right it is very hard..i try to taper myself off and on some days i do well and others not so well....thanks for the advice...
  # 26 (permalink)  

So the question now is - do you want to stop taking it?
  # 27 (permalink)  

YES!!!! I WANT to stop taking it!!!!
Old 08-23-2013, 12:38 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by joygirl View Post
I had my dr actually say "As long as you're not pawning your wedding ring, you're not an addict." This, after I voiced concerns about being addicted.
What!?!?! Wow.

amysticalsoul - we are here to support you! That is what is so great about SR - everyone has experience to share.
Old 08-23-2013, 12:38 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

But then again im scared to death of stopping taking it
Old 08-23-2013, 12:40 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by amysticalsoul View Post
YES!!!! I WANT to stop taking it!!!!
I would say the next step is to tell your doctor that you want off of it. If he won't help you, you can find an addiction counselor or detox center. There are resources on this site that can help you find help.

Whatever you do, don't stop it by yourself. Benzo withdrawal is horrible. You need to taper.
Old 08-23-2013, 12:41 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Marcher

Don't stop on your own! Very dangerous!

Earthsteps, yes! And at that time I lived in Florida. He was fast and loose with that script pad.
Old 08-23-2013, 12:43 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by joygirl View Post
Don't stop on your own! Very dangerous!

Earthsteps, yes! And at that time I lived in Florida. He was fast and loose with that script pad.
They throw drugs at you from all different directions here in FL. I have heard of even senior citizens selling their oxys and morphine. Pill mill central.
Old 08-23-2013, 12:44 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Yes i know not to stop cold turkey..i know there is no way that i could do that without getting very sick or even dying..my kids have known so much death in their short lives that i do not want to leave them, especially not that way...and i dont want to leave them because of a stupid little pill taking my life either...i must try and find another doctor to help me and take my fears seriously..another reason i dont think that my doc takes me seriously is that im a hypochondriac and worry about everything...no docs wanna take hypos seriously....
Old 08-23-2013, 12:46 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

You deserve to be heard and taken seriously, you are the one paying for your healthcare.
Old 08-23-2013, 12:48 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

You would think it should b that way Earth, but where im from i guess that doesnt matter to doctors at all..they are just worried about the almighty dollar...
Old 08-23-2013, 12:49 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Do you have a therapist you can talk to about the anxiety you are feeling about the Xanax?
Old 08-23-2013, 01:11 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

no, i dont have a therapist..tried that one time and all they did was sit there and stare at me and wait for me to talk..they asked no questions or anything...
Old 08-23-2013, 01:25 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Shame on your doctor! Get rid of your doctor IMMEDIATELY! He makes money off of scripts and does not have your best interests in mind. Otherwise, he would really LISTEN to your concerns about addiction and do something about it. I really believe that once you completely get off the drugs, you will find resources who will help with your anxiety. The first and number one resource for me is God! Talking with and praying to God has really helped me.
Old 08-23-2013, 01:47 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  
Marcher

amysticalsoul,
I am really sorry for all you are going through, and have been through. Life is so hard sometimes. But it's also very beautiful other times. I am trying to focus on the beauty more and less on the ugliness and difficulty. My emotions fly all over the place sometimes!
This site, the main page I believe, lists resources for help. Are you in the states?
Many people here have struggled as you are, so please know you never have to be alone. It does get better!
big hug to you!
Old 08-23-2013, 01:55 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome amysticalsoul

if you're concerned about your xanax use then you have a right for those concerns to be heard - even hypochondriacs get sick and have problems

If you're not being heard by your current Dr I recommend you get a second opinion.

D