Notices

Moderation

Old 08-23-2013, 11:09 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

Hi SLB1968

Amajorityofone wasn't referring to your drinking causing the MBS crisis. What was meant was that if you were drinking to make things better for yourself because of the MBS crisis that's rarely going to work. You drink, you get drunk, you feel better about things, or care less about them for the time being. Then, you wake up and all of those problems still exist. They don't magically disappear because you drank.

What good does it do to lie to myself and say, "I will never drink again" when I think that I might? There ain't no healing in that.
It doesn't do any good to lie to yourself. However, most of us try to never speak the words "I will never drink again". The goal is to not drink today. Then tomorrow becomes today and before you know it a bunch of todays are strung together. To consider the word never is overwhelming. So for those of us who are honest with ourselves and know that alcohol can't be a part of our lives we work on the here and now and let tomorrow take care of itself.

There comes a point where we have the realization that alcohol has had a deeply profound negative impact on our life. To the point that we must consider quitting. That's the easy part. The hard part is a few days removed from that statement our heads begin to rationalize that it wasn't really as bad as we thought it was and maybe it's ok to drink. By listening to others who have been through this tenfold we come to realize that voice is not telling the truth, it's alcoholism and it's grip at it's finest.

When you come to realize that then that's where the healing is.
Old 08-23-2013, 11:13 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I only have one word. NO. Alcoholics can not drink moderately. At least this alcoholic can't. Been there, done that . . . it gets worse everytime.
Old 08-23-2013, 11:15 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

Originally Posted by SLB1968 View Post
You do realize that you guys are taking all the fun out of my plan!! LOL
That's why we are here!

Truthfully, we care. We care because we've sat in the same place you're sitting right now. When it was our turn what we said may have been different but the language was still the same. No translation needed and we're fluent at it!
Old 08-23-2013, 11:16 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

It is hard to imagine Tail-Gating at Gillette Stadium this year without drinking rediculous, stupid amounts of beer and eating several species of Animal from an open flame!!!
Old 08-23-2013, 11:20 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

It is hard to imagine Tail-Gating at Gillette Stadium this year without drinking rediculous, stupid amounts of beer and eating several species of Animal from an open flame!!!
Totally understood! You might not believe me now but that animal will taste better, you'll get home safely, and the next morning you'll wake up happy.

Hey you, what are you doing thinking about "this year"? Remember, focus on today.

Another big football fan here, close to Gillette but have never been to a game. We have NFL Sunday ticket. This will be the first year that I won't be drinking during our open house on the first weekend. I've been sober for 90 days Sunday and I am looking forward to it! I've had enough sobriety in my system to understand that things are actually better without alcohol.

I promise, you CAN do this and you'll find the same
Old 08-23-2013, 11:25 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Yet many people do. My next door neighbor is Baptist so his entire family and circle of friends abstain from alcohol completely and they still participate in sporting events, music concerts, festivals, etc..

I'm certainly not suggesting you become a Baptist or approving/disapproving any religion. But the point is that most people DON"T need to get drunk out of their minds to have a good time. Only alcoholics and problem drinkers do, and we are by far the minority.
Old 08-23-2013, 11:25 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LadyBlue0527 View Post
Totally understood! You might not believe me now but that animal will taste better, you'll get home safely, and the next morning you'll wake up happy.

Hey you, what are you doing thinking about "this year"? Remember, focus on today.

Another big football fan here, close to Gillette but have never been to a game. We have NFL Sunday ticket. This will be the first year that I won't be drinking during our open house on the first weekend. I've been sober for 90 days Sunday and I am looking forward to it! I've had enough sobriety in my system to understand that things are actually better without alcohol.

I promise, you CAN do this and you'll find the same
Thanks Lady! You should go to a game. It's a good time! Hey, I've gone 6 months without drinking so I do know that it feels better without it. I don't even know why I picked it up again. I remember the night too. I didn't even really want it but I made myself do it as a celebration. How close to Gillette are you?
Old 08-23-2013, 11:31 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
Yet many people do. My next door neighbor is Baptist so his entire family and circle of friends abstain from alcohol completely and they still participate in sporting events, music concerts, festivals, etc..

I'm certainly not suggesting you become a Baptist or approving/disapproving any religion. But the point is that most people DON"T need to get drunk out of their minds to have a good time. Only alcoholics and problem drinkers do, and we are by far the minority.
When's the last time you attended a night game at Gillette - LOL. If you're abstaining, you are definitely the minority. That place is an absolute drunk fest! I agree, however, it's not necessary to enjoy the game
Old 08-23-2013, 11:32 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

Thanks Lady! You should go to a game. It's a good time! Hey, I've gone 6 months without drinking so I do know that it feels better without it. I don't even know why I picked it up again. I remember the night too. I didn't even really want it but I made myself do it as a celebration. How close to Gillette are you?
Sent you a private message
Old 08-23-2013, 11:37 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

When's the last time you attended a night game at Gillette - LOL. If you're abstaining, you are definitely the minority. That place is an absolute drunk fest! I agree, however, it's not necessary to enjoy the game
I live 1 hour from Lambeau Field in Green Bay, and I think it's fairly safe to say that the drinking there equals any other NFL stadium - probably rivals some of them. Yes, a lot of people drink but many do not. I've been to games sober and had no problem having a good time.
Old 08-23-2013, 11:37 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

The last time I went it was Foxboro stadium.I was very much sober.
Had a drunk college kid puke all over the bench seat just 4 fans down from us.
Watched a college age kid holding a light post while fans left the stadium.His friend yelling at the crowd not to laugh at him as he puked all over himself.

Needless to say the money spent for the game was a disappointment.
Not sure how it is a Patriot place now.I've been to the Bass pro there.
Old 08-23-2013, 12:05 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Just because the stressors have been removed from your life doesn't mean that you can drink in moderation. Once an alcoholic, always an alcoholic. Having said that, you have to WANT sobriety more than being drunk. The thought has never crossed my mind that I cannot or will not ever drink again. I never look that far into the future. I just take one day at a time and thank God for another day sober and ask Him to give me the strength to continue on the path of sobriety.

PS. I am a huge Green Bay Packer fan and I am actually looking forward to watching the games sober this year as I missed alot of the night games by passing out at halftime.
Old 08-23-2013, 12:05 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

I feel you. I too felt I could moderate, for a while, but that lasted a couple weeks before I was back to where I was. I too, am all or nothing, and I learned that lesson in a painful way.
Old 08-23-2013, 12:27 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by resolute50 View Post
The last time I went it was Foxboro stadium.I was very much sober.
Had a drunk college kid puke all over the bench seat just 4 fans down from us.
Watched a college age kid holding a light post while fans left the stadium.His friend yelling at the crowd not to laugh at him as he puked all over himself.

Needless to say the money spent for the game was a disappointment.
Not sure how it is a Patriot place now.I've been to the Bass pro there.
Patriots place is a nice set up. probably one of the best in the NFL. it used to be a dump back in the day. Yeah, I typically don't get so drunk that I'm puking on myself but I guess it's never too late to try... JK. I don't want to be that guy.

Originally Posted by Eleni58 View Post
Just because the stressors have been removed from your life doesn't mean that you can drink in moderation. Once an alcoholic, always an alcoholic. Having said that, you have to WANT sobriety more than being drunk. The thought has never crossed my mind that I cannot or will not ever drink again. I never look that far into the future. I just take one day at a time and thank God for another day sober and ask Him to give me the strength to continue on the path of sobriety.

PS. I am a huge Green Bay Packer fan and I am actually looking forward to watching the games sober this year as I missed alot of the night games by passing out at halftime.
I hear you. you make sense. Re: Games. I never passed out at half time but I have driven 100mph to get to the package store, for more beer, at half time so as to not miss the start of the 3rd quarter.

Originally Posted by Celticgirl View Post
I feel you. I too felt I could moderate, for a while, but that lasted a couple weeks before I was back to where I was. I too, am all or nothing, and I learned that lesson in a painful way.
I'm an extremest by nature myself! Work hard; play hard.
Old 08-23-2013, 02:12 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi SLB

the dream of going back to former days is the great obsession of a lot of us....'If only I could drink like I used to back at 18, 25, 30'.

It's even crazier when you have that dream and you never drank 'normally'...but that's another thread...

Thinking like that is understandable, but it misses the point that alcoholism is progressive - it changes us and our minds and bodies and there's no going back in my opinion.

It's like growing up in New York and then moving to San Franscisco...and 20 years later wishing you could move back to New York...in the 1990s...

time moves on, and so does addiction.

D
Old 08-23-2013, 11:02 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lessgravity View Post
If you are on a recovery website questioning if you can ration off how much you drink, when you drink, etc, you, like all of us, have a problem with drinking. To me it's just that simple.
I have to agree with less gravity that your questions are a red flag for alcoholism and drinking justification. Asking a bunch of alcoholics how much is appropriate you must be wanting to hear "it's never a good time" because moderate drinkers don't come around here.

I am an alcoholic, and I have tried to rationalize my way back into drinking by promising myself to do it "moderately". That promise to myself has never been fulfilled.
Old 08-23-2013, 11:58 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Tons of great feedback and advice here....
For me personally, I do not overwhelm myself with statements like "I can/will never drink again". I am committed to my "now". I don't drink right now. Things is...it's kinda always "now".
Old 08-24-2013, 12:08 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

Just because you can go without drinking doesn't mean you can control you drinking. Moderation is the dream of many an alcoholic. If you are not convinced you are an alcoholic, go ahead and give moderation a try. Just be sure that if things spiral out of control again, that you are willing to get back on the wagon. You may feel ashamed of a relapse but many of us have gone through it as well. We understand. If you can drink in moderation, then good for you! For me, i tried. I changed everything in my life to let me drink moderately. The problem was, i didn't change myself and in the end, that's what truly matters.

Have you changed or have just your surroundings changed?

Are you willing to risk the stability you have found in your life?

Are you willing to humble yourself and come back if things don't go as planned?

Are you willing to be brutally honest about your drinking and your relationship with alcohol?

If you go back out there, please be vigilant. Be aware. Be honest with yourself. Don't be the alcoholic who tries moderation, fails and is to humiliated or prideful or scared to come back to sobriety. You may have another drunk in you but do you have another recovery? Is drinking worth the risk? We are talking your life or death here. This is serious business.

Think long and hard about your decision. Your life is at stake here. I hope you are not an alcoholic but few find this site by mistake.
Old 08-24-2013, 12:47 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

alcoholism is a progressive illness.
Old 08-24-2013, 12:51 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

It sounds like your AV talking but it's your life. You're the one who knows you best and you're the one who has to live with the consequences. My bet, if I had to bet, is that your moderation will eventually spiral down into being just like you were when you came here. Hopefully I'm wrong but I have the odds on my side.

That said, it may well be that you're not an alcoholic, just a regular guy that got carried away during a bad time. Time will tell.

I sincerely wish you the best of luck on your attempt at moderation.