Notices

23 Days Sober

Old 08-23-2013, 05:01 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

23 Days Sober

Hello to everyone,

I am a long term alcoholic and have wasted alot of my time and energy over the last few years drinking and partying. Through the demon drink I lost my home, family and friends.

On 1st of August I woke up sick from another heavy session, I didnt have any divine intervention or visit from the good lord well at least not visually, but for some reason I got up off the floor/sofa walked out my door into the morning sunshine and started walking, I walked into the countryside and just kept walking, I went into a store and bought a 2 litre bottle of spring water, I continued on walking and thinking about life, after walking about 18 miles I just
realised that Id rather live than die after all, we all die eventually I just decided Id prefer to die around the age of 80 or 90 instead of 32. I got my mobile phone took out the sim card and broke it up, then I smashed the phone off a rock, now the parasites whom I considered "friends" could not contact me any more and encourage me to join them for drinks. I went back to my apartment and discarded everything and anything related to alcohol. My walking has turned into running, Ive joined a running club and signed up to run a marathon in 4 months time.

I just want anyone out there who like me couldnt live without alcohol to realise the game is not up, you really can change you've just got to dig deep into your self and realise theres more to life and life is worth living. I'm now 23 days free of that poison and looking forward to a life away from drink.
Old 08-23-2013, 05:13 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

What fantastic post! Very well done and lots of love to my homeland x
Old 08-23-2013, 05:56 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR,Liam.
So glad that you found this site and shared your story.
Old 08-23-2013, 06:11 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Wow. Congratulations!

This is what happened to me 26 July. I woke up, called in sick for work because I was hungover as hell. Then I wondered what the hell was I doing with my life,I mean really, something came over me that my life was about to be sucked into an abyss and this is all i had to look forward to.

I downloaded a million books on alcoholism, and pretty much read them for 3 days straight, realising this garbage was not going to get better if I didn't stop.

And yes, all i can think of it now for me is poison.
Old 08-23-2013, 07:37 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
A Smart Bug is a Sober Bug!

Welcome! Great post, wishing you all the best.
Old 08-23-2013, 10:50 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Similar for me. Partying like crazy and was getting horribly worse hangovers and an empty wallet. Woke up at 2 in the afternoon hungover and sick from a night of drinking poison (beer and vodka). Did some research online and read an inspirational book. Decided it would be the last day I would be hungover and dumped out all the beer and booze in the house. Its been 25 days and I haven't touched a drop. Best decision I've ever made.
Old 08-23-2013, 11:04 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Great job!
Old 08-23-2013, 02:17 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome Liam - and congratulations on your sober time

D
Old 08-23-2013, 02:22 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Wow, when I read this I thought of us, all over the world, a lot of us on the same day, having these awakenings.

I like that image, the thought of us waking up one day and saying "I'm done", and starting down the road....People waking up in Ireland, or England, or the States, or Australia or Canada....and one by one saying "that's it for me", and then somehow finding our way here. I think it needs to be set to music!
Old 08-23-2013, 02:25 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Great idea Jaynie 'SR-the musical'
Old 08-23-2013, 02:56 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I like it Zoe!
Old 08-23-2013, 03:22 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome Liam, Congrats on 23 days
Old 08-23-2013, 03:54 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Saved By Grace

Wow what a great post and story. Im 22 days into this and remember on July 31 I was finally ready to start living I guess and I handed all my 'secret pills' (xanax, adderall) over to my parents and asked for help. After a lot of weening and AA, and exercise I'm looking better than ever and I was feeling really good until now mostly because I'm off all narcotics now. But this was my choice? It's strange how my mind works I put myself into these situations where when I'm loaded I'm thinking yeah I can handle that nasty withdrawal 'i got this' because it is always tommorow.

Well tommorow hit, yesterday, and I was so close to a rellapse and had to go to AA twice and hold the h*ll on to my seat because I felt crappy and wanted some chemical relief. Today I don't have those cravings and have managed to play a little golf and eat and just read SR and its post like these that remind me to just trust the process. I have a great sponsor, AA, my parents, SR, and an almighty God behind me on this backing me up and not picking up yesterday during that craving was a miracle.

anyways, in a sense today is like day 1.
Old 08-23-2013, 06:47 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

and congratulations on the 28 days!
Old 08-23-2013, 07:15 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Pleased to meet you, Liam. Thank you for an uplifting & inspiring first post. I hope we'll be hearing more from you.

Congratulations on your 23 sober days. I wish I'd given it up in my 30's - my life would've gone in a different direction for sure. Glad to have you join the family.
Old 09-03-2013, 05:30 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

YoungAndClean fair play to you keep up the good work nothing is easy but together we can all get there.
Old 09-03-2013, 05:35 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Update 33 Days

Hello to everyone, just a quick update on my last post now 33 days sober hasnt been easy but nothing ever is, Ive stuck to my plan and just want you all to know it feels great to be free stick with your plans and get stronger.
Old 09-03-2013, 06:04 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Liam, great story and great job for living it. You did what you needed to do. Not everyone has the guts to suddenly erase temptation the way you did. Best of luck with continued progress. Also, I think you'll find running very helpful. Extended cardiovascular exercise can give you just as much satisfaction as a few beers--if not much more.