Notices

nearly 3 months sober and hitting problems

Old 08-23-2013, 03:10 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

nearly 3 months sober and hitting problems

hey everyone, i know its been a while since i last posted, the internet connection is being silly, but i needed to ask some advice.

I am now nearly 3 months sober (yey go me), but for the past week i have been experiencing some very strange emotions. I dream about drinking alcohol everynight, thats something that has happened since i quit but these are now really intense nightmares, ive also noticed the mood swings are back.. i would have terrible mood swings when i was drinking and i now appear to be getting them even though im sober. i.e one minute be fine and the next crying my eyes out.

I thought the longer without out a drink the easier it will get but that doesnt appear to be the case. I never want to touch the poison again, im strong enough to not do that (i think) but theses feeling aint very nice at all.

Is anybody else experiencing/experienced this during their recovery?

Two Worlds
Old 08-23-2013, 03:24 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 3 months. These dreams vary are common and vary with the individual. I didn't have a lot but they were too real for me which showed how powerful the alcohol was in my mind even after 10-15 years later. The scary part for me was I acted the same as when I was drinking and had the same shame even after not having a desire to drink for a lot of years. Enjoy sobriety. BE WELL
Old 08-23-2013, 03:27 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I don't know how long you were drinking prior to giving up, but I did think today it's unrealistic for me to expect wonderful things ALL the time...my body is recovering from years of being poisoned, I have to be patient.

I guess after 3 months its normal to expect more...I hope more people with longer sobriety than I can share some insight.
Old 08-23-2013, 03:30 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi twoworlds, great job on quitting. Yea You! Google PAWS post-acute withdrawal symptoms. Keep going. You are doing great.
Old 08-23-2013, 03:35 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I hit something very similar right around that time. Sounds like a case of PAWS. Keeping pushing you will get through this! The up and down emotions lasted a good week or so for me then disappeared as quickly and with out warning as they arrived. This crazy bi polar feelings creepin for me around every 30 or so days, and now that I know what they are and that they are temporary I just go with it.

Congrats on 3 months well done
Old 08-23-2013, 04:06 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Been there, done that!

the mental obsession will even try to come at you in your sleep... I have drinking dreams regularly!! well done on 3 months!
Old 08-23-2013, 04:20 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

Twoworlds,

I hit 90 days on Sunday and thus far I've found that right around an anniversary mark I get a little antsy. For me it typically happens the day after or even for a few days. Not at an extreme but it's there. I've posted about this before and have had this same reply, it's not uncommon.

Can you remember if this occurred back to about the 30 or 60 day mark?

Neither here nor there you're not alone, this can come on at any time and it will get better!
Old 08-23-2013, 04:29 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

hey two...

congratulations on your sobriety! i'm at 89 days myself, and have been feeling wonky for a couple days, too. i'm thinking it's PAWS...

i just keep reminding myself that my body and brain are healing, so it's okay. still feels uncomfortable, but that thought helps. i've also just been very easy on myself during this... eating as well as i can, not over-working, and resting as needed.

take care... it'll get better!
Old 08-23-2013, 04:36 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

^ thank you for sharing Ladyblue, this is helpful to know. My 30 days is tomorrow, but the last 48 hours I've felt yuck, and clumsy, sworn a bit....and the dishes are still in the sink unwashed.

My sleeping and tiredness are all out as well.

Walking home from the train station, my legs were aching. I felt 100 years old...looking forward to it passing soon.
Old 08-23-2013, 04:46 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

Hi Croissant,

No problem! I know that when I posted about it and received that response it made me feel better. I've heard that it doesn't always happen but to know that it might occur helps.

The other day I caught myself saying "Pretty soon, I'll be at 90 days, if I do that 3 more times it will be a year!". Ugh, then the brain started to get overwhelmed about the last three months and then the concept of quadrupling that amount of time.

I quickly reminded myself, one day at a time!
Old 08-23-2013, 04:54 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

thank you so much guys, at least i know im not alone in this, i honestly thought that it was just my willpower fading a little but at least i know its not that.

Lady blue, i cant remember if i felt this bad at the anniversary times but i will keep a look out when coming up to month 4

ill keep posting at let you guys know how im getting on with this

Two worlds
Old 08-23-2013, 05:24 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Twoworlds12345 View Post
hey everyone, i know its been a while since i last posted, the internet connection is being silly, but i needed to ask some advice.

I am now nearly 3 months sober (yey go me), but for the past week i have been experiencing some very strange emotions. I dream about drinking alcohol everynight, thats something that has happened since i quit but these are now really intense nightmares, ive also noticed the mood swings are back.. i would have terrible mood swings when i was drinking and i now appear to be getting them even though im sober. i.e one minute be fine and the next crying my eyes out.

I thought the longer without out a drink the easier it will get but that doesnt appear to be the case. I never want to touch the poison again, im strong enough to not do that (i think) but theses feeling aint very nice at all.

Is anybody else experiencing/experienced this during their recovery?

Two Worlds
Without fail, I will heavily crave booze after two months clean. I've done two months probably 5 times in the last couple of years and only once made it past. So, I'm not getting the nightmares or dreams you cited, but I can empathize with the notion that hitting a certain time frame has a marked effect.

I'd say, keep your eye on the prize and consider therapy if the nightmares don't subside. Perhaps a rooted anxiety is causing them and you could quash the anxiety (and the nightmares) by talking with a therapist.