Notices

Hello from Lovemyworld...

Old 08-22-2013, 04:55 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hello from Lovemyworld...

Hello dear people,

I have read some of your stories and wish I could read more but there is always the time constraints.....

I have been happily married the 2nd time around now for just under 20yrs but we both have a drinking problem. We are empty nesters now and grand parents and I want to STOP my drinking dependency..... !!

I have a history of an alcoholic father that died at 37 heart related to alcoholism and my Mum probably started in her 60's though not with us now but not alcohol related and none of her family have a history with alcohol.

I have been drinking every night for sleeping purposes for at least 23yrs with many attempts of a few nights here and there to not drink but just do not sleep.....

I have finally got it in my head that what I am doing is wrong and in a lot of instances I am lucky to be alive but I am and for a reason and I want to realise that reason.......

I have stopped drinking every night now for 6 weeks with only 2 before tonight what we would call benders...... I am home alone and was researching sleep and giving up alcohol and it was not good or positive reading and made me depressed that I have not been for 2 weeks and now have drunk a whole bottle of wine....

I really could go on and on here as I really need to let loose as my GP is as supportive as a 90yo with a bra.... but I will not now but my main issue here is SLEEP I am reliant on sleeping tablets here at the moment but I do not want to give up one dependency for another...???

I have tried a Naturopath and paid a small fortune for supplements where I have had some success with destressing but my brain will not shut off at night without a sleeping tablet..... I have gone three nights with nothing and was a walking zombie and had to take the day off work...... I work full time... so therefore am limited to trying anything for long terms during the week...

Thankyou people for just listening.....
Old 08-22-2013, 05:29 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Have you considered a hypnotherapist? Years ago, I had insomnia due to stress and it worked like magic. She made me a relaxation tape and I was asleep before it finished half an hour later
Old 08-22-2013, 05:38 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I might suggest seeing your doctor and being honest about your drinking.
Old 08-22-2013, 04:09 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by IOAA2 View Post
I might suggest seeing your doctor and being honest about your drinking.

I have been honest with my doctor..... He has known about my drinking for years....
Old 08-22-2013, 04:30 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

hi lovemyworld,,,have u looked up herbal teas??? i personally drank valerian tea ,,its a natural kinda sedative,,but pls as always check wiv doctor,,lol,,,
i swore by it in my early days,,its not that nice to drink on its own,,but i aways added a bit of honey ,,or indeed another tea,, like pomegrannet or any other friuty tea ,,x worked for me,,,x
hugs xx cleo xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Old 08-22-2013, 04:36 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome lovemyworld! We're so glad to have you join us - you found a great place.
Old 08-22-2013, 05:05 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi lovemyworld

what about trying another Dr?

D
Old 08-22-2013, 05:44 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

to SR! I'm glad you're here.
Old 08-22-2013, 07:59 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I have the same problem after 28 days sober. I don't get to sleep until 4:30 am and get up at 9 or 10. Don't take naps during the day and was taking 2 sleeping tabs until my doctor put me on Tramodol and Flexiril for severely painful neck sprain, so now I am the complete opposite--sleeping up to 16 hours a day. One extreme to the other! Hoping that I can get off the pills once my sprain heals. Also, I havent taken any sleeping pills since I started the Tram and Flex as they knock me out.

Sorry, I couldn't be of more help. Just thought I'd let you know that I can relate to your insomnia problem.
Old 08-22-2013, 09:04 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks guys for the welcome and understanding.....