Notices

Has anyone gotten a "handle" on drinking?

Old 08-23-2013, 01:10 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I found that dream of the one glass of wine out by the pool with a good book on a warm summer afternoon faded the longer I stayed sober.
See I couldn't even settle for one book let alone one drink. I'd need half a dozen books, some magazines and an ereader. Then the bottle, the ice bucket, the back up bottles in the fridge, I'd need to make a lot of preparation for one drink.
Old 08-23-2013, 01:23 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

I ask myself the same thing..... surely I can have one or two and stop as I have doe it but then another time I will have no control and just keep drinking.....

I so so want to get on top of my problem and I wish you all the luck in at least trying.... !
Old 08-23-2013, 03:02 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  
Been there, done that!

I have tried moderation many many times... for me its just not possible to moderate because I don't drink alcohol, for its taste or to be social I drink alcohol for the effect and the effect is why I drink to oblivion! if you are a real alcoholic/addict moderation is impossible in my experience! good luck tho
Old 08-23-2013, 03:11 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Marcher13 View Post
See I couldn't even settle for one book let alone one drink. I'd need half a dozen books, some magazines and an ereader. Then the bottle, the ice bucket, the back up bottles in the fridge, I'd need to make a lot of preparation for one drink.
this is me too....it's exhausting, all the preparation, obsession, planning, work that goes with moderation...easier to not drink...and no morning anxiety, stomach upset, puffy face.
Old 08-23-2013, 03:27 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ArcticSA View Post
I don't know if I'm doing exactly what you mean but...my drinking was out of control last winter and I decided to get completely sober Feb2nd. I stayed completely sober for 4 months and then decided to have a glass of wine. It was fine. Another month passed and I came into a really awful place in my life and had a 6 pack. Since then I have drank maybe 4 or 5 times. Nothing like before. No black-out-drink 15 beers-can't remember anything drinking episodes.
I don't know if it's called a handle but as of right now I am pleased that I have been able to drink a few beers without spiralling out of control. It is certainly not controlling my life like it used to!

Then again, I do think about drinking quite often and it is a job to not drink more often, it is a big responsibility and probably more work than being completely abstinent, but I guess I just don't want to do easy!
I KNOW I am not a normal drinker. I have kind of done what you are doing; abstinence for a few days, then drink for a few (hating myself). Over and over. What a colossal waste of time, because if I am not drinking I think about it. That is almost worse than just doing it. Also, I know sooner or later I will have another "bottom" and there aren't many left in this chick.

Finally got another day sober yesterday, and heck, I am at least going to do everything I can to make today 2 in a row...
Old 08-23-2013, 06:24 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

In the spirit of total honesty and accountability I will say that I did have 2 glasses of wine yesterday and just as you all warned me I wanted the third, the only reason I did not have it is because I purposely have not bought any more wine but I never threw out the half a bottle left from last week, not an oversight I'm sure, I was already thinking of drinking it. However, I could've gone for the beer because we always have that around, my husband drinks beer on occasion, but I did not. And even though I gave in to the 2 glasses, I stopped. I got up, cleaned like crazy, watched a movie and went to bed. This morning I felt a bit guilty but then I thought, I stopped, I woke up fine, I made it to work. I have no desire to drink today, I was actually scared at my reaction that I would have kept on, yes, you told me so I'm ok though and I know it won't be easy but it's necessary, I will change my thinking to "I CHOOSE" not to drink rather than "I CAN'T" drink. Thank you all again!
Old 08-23-2013, 06:40 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by duane1 View Post
I have found that I actually have more problems when I try to moderate. Reason being is my tolerance drops off, but my appetite for drinking doesn't once I get that first drink in me.
So did moderation seem like an option the first day you decided to quit?
This resonates so much with me....countless times "I'll just stay for a couple".

Couple means 2 .....the only time in the last 10 years I have had only 2 drinks is when I knew that there was more at home and I could get smashed later in private. Or at a work lunch....where I still knew that there was more at home and I could get smashed later in private.
Old 08-23-2013, 06:53 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by fromthisday View Post
In the spirit of total honesty and accountability I will say that I did have 2 glasses of wine yesterday and just as you all warned me I wanted the third, the only reason I did not have it is because I purposely have not bought any more wine but I never threw out the half a bottle left from last week, not an oversight I'm sure, I was already thinking of drinking it. However, I could've gone for the beer because we always have that around, my husband drinks beer on occasion, but I did not. And even though I gave in to the 2 glasses, I stopped. I
My son used to leave his beers in the fridge and go away months on end for work and I always told myself if I was really an alcoholic, I would be into them as well.

Was it proof I was not an alcoholic? I think the fact I thought the explanation up proved I was. And I know I knew it at the time, but I was prepared to insert my version of it as just one more reason to fool myself that alcohol didn't have power over me.