Notices

I'm a teacher and an alcoholic...

Old 09-02-2013, 04:10 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I'm a sober teacher too. We start school on Wednesday. I'm hoping now that the anxiety leading up to the first days of school are the worst and once it starts I'll be my normal happy-to-be-in-school self. I always get nervous before the beginning but I'm starting at a new school. I'm 41 days sober... WOW... I haven't counted in a while.

I know I can give my students more of myself now that I'm sober and I'm looking forward to doing just that.

I found my hardest times were the weekends during the school year. Friday and Saturday night... I would just drink the whole time... no wonder I was so anxious. I never had a weekend all year long... I drank them away.

I'm looking forward to a happy and healthy year. I hope the same for you!
Old 09-02-2013, 05:52 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by July2413 View Post
I

I know I can give my students more of myself now that I'm sober and I'm looking forward to doing just that.
I'm looking forward to a happy and healthy year. I hope the same for you!
NICE! Same here. Thank you.
Old 09-02-2013, 05:54 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PrincessJasmine View Post
Hi George. 20 days? good for you!!! I am new here as well. Also, a teacher. I'm here because we are just off summer break and, like you, I use our breaks as an excuse for a free for all. No need to get up early and be prepared for 2 solid months? That meant that I spent not one summer night sober. I'm on day 8 now. Like someone else said, lets make this a sober school year!
Thanks PrincessJasmine. Best to you as well.
Old 09-02-2013, 06:02 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
LDT

Another fellow teacher here, wishing all a sober school year. It's wonderful teaching without a hangover!
Old 09-02-2013, 07:12 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Sober pre-school director here
Old 09-02-2013, 07:19 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

George - thanks for the update. 24 days sober is a wonderful achievement! It's going to be a great school year.

I understand the challenge of staying sober over Labor Day Weekend - but you did it. Things will get better and easier as you make it over these hurdles. We're proud of you.
Old 09-02-2013, 07:28 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Sober school nurse here! My mistakes were fewer and attention to detail was better once I got sober. My principal knows and supports me! He too, has noticed a difference!

Congrats in your achievement! Enjoy the sober school year!
Old 09-02-2013, 07:54 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Yea George!
Old 09-03-2013, 04:52 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Maybe we should have a teacher thread?? LOL. High school teacher here, just started a program at my med center, drank heavily all summer, wasted an entire summer drinking.

I posted on another thread about how I have drank at work, and I know that that is a ticking time bomb. Very stressed about going to work today. Last time, was a close call because someone reported me to the union and not administration. I will be holding my breath today to see if anyone says anything from Friday.
Old 09-12-2013, 02:07 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

It's been a stressful week now into the third week of the semester. It's a common pattern.

The excitement and anxiety that surrounds the first week now transitions to getting down to the real work of the semester, and this is when you begin to discover more about what you're facing in terms of student performance and personalities. The spectrum ranges from the high achievers to those that are in an academic struggle.

It's day 34 of sobriety and I can say almost certainly that my mind is in a much better place at this time than it was last year. I feel more clear thinking and perhaps less prone to feeling overly anxious about the challenges that inevitably arise at school. I still feel pressures and anxiety, but not in the extreme.

Hanging in there, one day at a time.
Old 09-12-2013, 02:30 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

It's staying clear headed that really helps us, not getting numb - but it's so hard to convince ourselves of that! I was a really slow learner - took me decades. My anxiety was through the roof when I was drinking - and to think I was doing it to calm myself down.

I'm glad you're feeling encouraged George.
Old 09-12-2013, 05:14 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Another teacher here glad to know that you are still on the sober journey; glad to be on it with you as well!
Old 09-12-2013, 05:37 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Hi George, my sober date is August 9th as well. Good job! Everyday gets a little easier for me.
Old 09-12-2013, 05:46 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Hi George, welcome. In my sobriety journey I asked myself "I wonder what people do who don't drink? for the anxiety?". That's been my journey. Finding healthy sober ways of dealing with stress. One thing that helps me is urge surfing. Google it. Look around at what sober, healthy people do for ideas. Playing tennis, arts and crafts, woodworking, walking.. Just a few ideas. Best wishes to you. Alcohol is a depressant. It adds anxiety.
Old 09-12-2013, 06:06 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

thank God for teachers and what you do, i am so grateful for so many teachers that took the time to care for me when i was elementary through junior high. then i stopped listening, sorry. you are awesome, congrats on all the sobriety on this thread

i am going to stop typing now, because i am becoming self conscious that you are going to be critical of my sentence structure.

rock on teach!
Old 09-12-2013, 06:18 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Hi all. Another teacher here, checking in. I used to think that drinking helped me to relax after the frenzy and stress of class, but it's so obvious now that it tripled my stress levels.

George, congratulations on 34 days!
Old 09-12-2013, 06:24 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Nice to hear how you're doing George. I know being sober helps us do our jobs better. Drinking is such a vicious circle of depression and anxiety. Keep up the good work....you sound good
Old 09-12-2013, 08:21 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  
Recognizes the Beast

Another teacher here, 10 months sober. Couldn't imagine this job while being active in my addiction.
Old 09-12-2013, 10:19 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

How weird there are so many teachers here....

Count me in as another. Working in special education as a deputy headteacher (vice principal). Been promoted twice since I got sober, but sort of wish I was back in the classroom. Dealing with kids and the pressures of the job is SO much easier without a hangover!

Sounds like you're doing well. Keep going x
Old 09-13-2013, 04:06 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  
Still I rise.

High School teacher--10 months sober!