Notices

alcoholism caused by paxil?

Old 08-22-2013, 10:19 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

Originally Posted by happytrixter View Post
It's just that I wasn't an alcoholic in my 20's and to suddenly become one in my 30's seems strange. I'm not making excuses. I know alcohol is something I have to leave behind for good because I can never be trusted with it again. I'm just mad this happened.
I don't think you are trying to making excuses, I think you are just trying to figure out why this happened to you and you are just looking for answers.

I struggle with this also. Why me, when I come from a family of alcholics and grew up in an alcoholic home? Why did this happen to me in my late 30's and early 40's? At some point, I let the switch go on and wasn't able to turn it off. And yes, I am mad at myself for letting it happen.

I totally understand where you are coming from, I don't think I will ever really know why this happened to me. However, it did happen to me and it is how we deal with it now that is important.
Old 08-22-2013, 11:16 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
(previously uksupport)

Alcoholism is something that grows on you. No body starts out as one. I wasn't one in my 20s either but i never took paxil.
Old 08-23-2013, 12:46 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by happytrixter View Post
It's just that I wasn't an alcoholic in my 20's and to suddenly become one in my 30's seems strange.
That story is not uncommon. I didn't even have my first beer until I was 18. In my late 20's I was just a regular moderate drinker. Then, in my early 30's I started drinking very heavily. By my mid 30's I was extremely addicted and by 37 (last year) I would drink from dawn until dusk and nearly killed myself due to my extreme alcohol intake. No rhyme or reason. Just happened.

The most rewarding quest has become learning how to live and enjoy an alcohol-free life. Dwelling on the why's and when's? That's old news. Stay focused on what's ahead of you, the past doesn't exist so there's no reason to poke around looking for answers there.
Old 08-23-2013, 01:27 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Been there, done that!

We alcoholics love to find rare and mystical reasons other than the truth of why we are alcohol addicts.. The truth will set you free...

I was an alcoholic from the moment I drunk I use to black out and course carnage at 13 I have friends who took 30 years of drinking until they fell in to the black hole of addiction... Ages time scales don't mean a thing in the world of addiction.. If your an alcoholic then stop worrying what caused it and start fixing it... Good luck