Notices

Boat outing on the bay...

Old 08-21-2013, 10:02 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by susasober1 View Post
Would you believe this was my women's bible study group I was out with??? It was!! And I can't blame them for wanting to toast with some wine on a boat cruise along a beautiful bay area?

It really doesn't bother me being around others who drink...everyone in my family does so there no avoiding it and no one I'm around overdrinks...And I agree no one cares that I'm not drinking...I just personally miss it sometimes....they say that it can take years to remove the craving...not surprising considering I drank for so long!
HA!
Yes, in fact, I would believe you were with your women's bible study group.
Hell, My Father was the Pastor of our church and wanted absolutely nothing to do with him after the age of 14! By then, the poor Man was such a drunk that he simply repulsed me.

True story-

Twenty two years ago or so a group of seven friends and I went to Kings Island. Its an amusement park just outside of Cincinnati Ohio. Before we went in, we each dropped two tablets of LSD.

Needless to say we had a BLAST! We rode e-v-e-r-y-t-h-i-n-g too. Including "the beast" which was the scariest roller coaster in the world, at least to me, at that time. I didn't think I had a "problem." I was just in my summer season.

Fast forward twenty two years later and tomorrow morning, I'm going over my girlfriends Father's house. With the new NFL football season fast approaching, he's going to help me navigate my way through the upcoming fantasy football draft and put my team together.

Over the last month we both have read or re-read George Orwell's 1984, and Animal Farm. We've also read or re-read Lord of the Flies. I've also read Fahrenheit 451 but I don't think he has re-read that book yet.

He has a Ph.D. in psychology and is a former high school teacher. Thus I'm really looking forward to spending some quality time with him. Neither one of us drinks so he's making coffee and I'm bringing banana bread.

Same Person.
Two completely different seasons.

Be Encouraged!
Old 08-21-2013, 10:22 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by susasober1 View Post
Sometimes the idea of never drinking wine again still freaks me out...Does anyone else ever feel this way?
Hi, susasober. I am one year sober and I feel this way occassionaly, too.

When I was 20 years old I moved to Italy to be with my boyfriend at the time. We ended up breaking up and shortly after that I met my now husband (an Italian fellow). I lived and worked in Italy for about 6 years. During those years my love and appreciation for good food and wine developed. My mother-in-law taught me how to cook wonderful Italian meals. My father-in-law made his own red wine and I participated in the process a time or two.

So, yes, I also get "freaked out" at times when the idea of never drinking wine again crosses my mind. Those were such good times in my life and now I can't relive them through food and drink? :-(

Also, my best friend claims to be really into wine and even subscribes to a popular wine magazine. She pontificates a lot about the different varietals, blah, blah, blah! When I recently went to her house for dinner the first time since being sober, I quickly realized she was really more into the buzz she got off the wine, rather than the wine itself.

Yeah, so, the romance of it all? I sort of see it now for what it really is.
Old 08-21-2013, 12:06 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Amajorityofone View Post
"Romanticizing alcohol" is a road I don't allow myself to go down at all. For me, it would feel like getting back in bed with the devil and telling him we're not going to phuck.

Today, I view my life as if it were the seasons. I was born in spring, I partied during the summer, now I'm into my fall season. Older. Wiser. more mature. A Father. Smelling good. Looking better. Full of color. Full of life.

Today, after my son goes to school, I'll go for a swim, then treat myself to a starbucks. After that I'll mow my lawn, edge the grass, and till my garden. If I still have some free time, I may head to the bookstore and pick out a new novel. Otherwise, I'll simply listen to some gospel hymms and take a short nap. When my six year old gets home from school, I'll read to him for an hour or so then take him to his flag football game. By the time that is all said and done, it'll be time for bed.

I enjoyed the summer season of my life but I sure as hell don't want to relive it.

Hope this helps
Damn I love this so much I think I'm going to steal it and make an individual post.

Speaks to me DIRECTLY, thank you so much.
Old 08-21-2013, 12:14 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by EndGameNYC View Post
Hi Redviper.

Your comment is part of the thinking that preceded a three-year relapse in which I lost everything I worked for in the twenty five years I was sober.
Me Too!!!!
Old 08-21-2013, 12:26 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Every Mother's Worst Nightmare

Originally Posted by Amajorityofone View Post
Personally, I don't associate with anyone that drinks, or smokes, or does drugs of any kind. Makes life a whole lot easier.

Food for thought
I don't really care what some of my friends get up to. I'm the one with the problem not them. And my life would be much poorer without some of them.