Notices

Detoxing

Old 08-20-2013, 03:23 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Detoxing

Hello. I just joined & am on day 2 of my recovery. Does anyone have suggestions on what to eat/drink to while going through withdrawals?
Old 08-20-2013, 03:27 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

The main thing is that it's always a good idea to talk to your dr before you begin to detox because detoxing from alcohol can be dangerous.
Old 08-20-2013, 03:33 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks, Anna. I did speak with my doctor. Just looking for suggestions from former drinkers' perspectives that I can try while going through the first few weeks of sobriety. I know coconut water, green tea & ice cream are good ones.
Old 08-20-2013, 03:36 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome merchantsun! You are among friends - we all understand how you feel. Congratulations on Day 2.

Those first few days I made sure to stay hydrated - water & juice mostly because caffeine just adds to our jitters. I took a good multi vitamin & B-vitamins. Not sure if any particular food makes it less unpleasant. I'm happy you have a whole new life to look forward to. Glad you are here.
Old 08-20-2013, 03:38 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Yes, ice cream is a nice pacifier. I developed quite a sweet craving, but that came later.
Old 08-20-2013, 03:43 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you, Heyvn. I can't do caffiene on a regular day, so that's good to know! I have been drinking a lot of water. Juice sounds like a nice alternative :-)
Old 08-20-2013, 03:45 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Just try to avoid anything rough on your stomach. Sometimes orange or tomato juice is too much.
Old 08-20-2013, 03:46 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Really glad you contacted your doctor

Personally, I've found that lemon water was really helpful - plus it's good for digestion, which can be out of whack when you detox. Vitamins are also really helpful, as is soup, I've found (even if it is hotter out). Fluids fluids fluids!!

Best of luck and congrats on two days!
Old 08-20-2013, 03:48 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

As always talk to your doctor but in my experience ,keep hydrated,Gatorade is good,vitamin c in large doses,you'll probably need Imodium and I always use z quil to help me sleep cause that's going to be the hardest . Soup and crackers are good to try and keep something in ur stomach,basically treat the symptoms is all u can do. There is this stuff called kratom,they sell it in head shops,it soothes the symptoms of withdrawal.keep your head up and u r in the right place..let us know how your doing..
Old 08-20-2013, 04:23 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I know when I was in Detox B vitamins were a big thing, when drinking those are the vitamins that get washed out that your body so needs so I think a good vitamin B complex would be helpful.