Notices

Dealing with pain sober

Old 08-20-2013, 10:25 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy Dealing with pain sober

I seemed to have pulled a muscle in my right shoulder blade while netting fish on Saturday night. The pain has got worse and worse and now has extended to my neck and left shoulder. I have been eating Aleve like candy, heating it, icing it, putting Aspercreme and Icy Hot on...and nothing is working!

In the past, I have dealt with chronic pain by drinking. It was a natural pain reliever, muscle relaxant for me. I have not had any pain since I quit drinking. This is the first time. The thought crossed my mind a few times in the last few days to take a drink of brandy to relieve the pain. I couldn't hardly believe that thought even entered my mind as I have not had an urge or craving to drink! I really didn't want to go to a doctor to get pills because 1) I don't have insurance and 2) I don't want to get hooked on pills.

But today after I got a few hours of sleep, I woke up in even worse pain. I made an appointment to go to the doctor. I was going to try to tough it out, but I am scared the AV will convince me to drink that brandy. I decided that pain and muscle relaxant pills are the lesser of two evils. I am going to tell the doctor that I am a recovering alcoholic of 26 days and ask him to hopefully prescribe something that is non addictive.
Old 08-20-2013, 10:35 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Good idea on going to the dr eleni. When in any kind of pain (physical / emotional) my first thought was always to drink. The longer I stay sober the less louder the av is. I hope you're feeling better soon
Old 08-20-2013, 10:36 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Originally Posted by Eleni58 View Post
I am going to tell the doctor that I am a recovering alcoholic of 26 days and ask him to hopefully prescribe something that is non addictive.
Right on I suffer from chronic pain and I chose not to take anything stronger than Ibuprofin 800 and of course I stopped self medicating, it can be tough but it is nothing compared to the mental pain I will have if I relapse.
I hope you feel better soon.
Old 08-20-2013, 10:43 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

At this point, I need something stronger than Ibprofren or Naproxn. I have been taking way more than the recommended dosage and they just aren't working at all! And I am sure they are doing a number on my liver by taking excessive amounts. I thought I would start feeling better after 3 days, but I am worse--thus the reason I am going to the doctor. And everyone that knows me, knows that I have a HUGE aversion to doctors and usually avoid them at all costs. But this time, my sober voice is telling me I must go lest I succumb to the AV to get rid of the pain.
Old 08-20-2013, 10:47 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Try getting a massage from a professional as well. Not only could it help the pain but it's a nice reward too! Hope your pain goes away soon.

I, too, suffer from chronic pain but I think because I have it on a daily basis, I have learned to make it part of my life. I hardly know what a pain free day feels like. Like you, I fear the pills so I'd prefer it this way than to the other so BRAVO to you!!!
Old 08-20-2013, 10:48 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Go get some pain relief ! I think that's ok x
Old 08-20-2013, 10:54 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I had daily chronic pain for the last 3 years due to Lymes Disease, gout and severe osteoarthritis. And I always looked forward to when I could get that first drink in me to alleviate the pain. Alcohol always seemed to take the pain away better than naproxn or ibprofen. But that daily chronic pain went away after I quit drinking.

Right now I am mad at myself and feel so emotionally weak because I am unable to tough it out without some sort of medication.
Old 08-20-2013, 12:06 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

It will eventually go away... I know when I get migraines that last for a week I start to feel discouraged as though I will have it forever! Ibuprofen does nothing but guided meditation really helps. Have you tried that? I think back to the olden days, there were no pain meds & people survived you know?
Old 08-20-2013, 12:13 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

See the doctor

Try ice or heat.

Maybe you have popped soemthing out of alignment, that the doc can pup back into place and end the suffering.

No drinking!! It's not worth it, does the pain in your shoulder compare to withdrawl? Worth it?
Old 08-20-2013, 04:34 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Just got back from doc. Not only do I have a severely sprained upper back, but i have an infection in my finger. Have 100 degree temp (and I thought I was hot because it's pushing 90 degrees here).

Anyway, dr commended me on quitting drinking and not relapsing because of my pain--put me on antibiotics, tramadol for pain and some kind of benzo for muscle relaxer. Only gave me a scripts for 2 weeks which was wise as I don't want to get hooked on the pills.
Old 08-20-2013, 06:17 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks for letting us know. Good thing you went. Hope you will be able to sleep comfortably tonight
Old 08-20-2013, 07:33 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

be careful with tramadol and benzos!!anything is addictive and i have seen many people get addicted to both of them without even realizing it, all because a doctor prescribed it and said they weren't addictive.
Old 08-20-2013, 07:52 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Well, I have already taken two doses in the last 4 hours and it has done nothing at all to alleviate the pain. Grrrrr!!!!
Old 08-20-2013, 07:57 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Tramadol is what I first thought about. I can't take NSAIDS so a dr prescribed this for me. It did help. Had a 30 day supply. I don't like the feeling I get from pain meds. Also, I don't think it is a narcotic. He knew about my alcohol consumption.
Old 08-20-2013, 07:59 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

How many doses of tramadol do you take before it kicks in? I'm also on Flexeril and it's doing nothing either. I'm just a little sleepy from both meds.
Old 08-20-2013, 08:23 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I'm not sure how many doses before you start getting the full benefit from it. It has been about 7 yrs since I took it. For me pain meds never took the pain away completely but reduced it. Flexeril will cause drowsiness. That's why, when I was prescribed it, I took it after work. Sometimes what I'm doing at work can be more hazardous when drowsy. Yea, being in pain is pretty sucky!!
Old 08-22-2013, 01:29 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Update: 2 days later and these drugs are doing a number on me! Been unable to eat any solid food in over 48 hours because they are totally killing my appetite and have been sleeping alot. Like 13-16 hours a day. I am also dizzy but I feel the drugs are reducing my pain somewhat. In order to keep up my nutrition, I have been drinking milk, V8 juice, lots of water and raw honey.

I am surprised with these symptoms I have not had an urge to drink at all. I am grateful for that!
Old 08-22-2013, 01:32 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

You handled this brilliantly! I hope your pain diminishes each day and goes away completely soon.
Old 08-22-2013, 01:36 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Thanks ACOA! Need to have positive thoughts and patience as a severe sprain takes awhile to heal. Doc says if not better in 2 weeks, will probably have to start physical therapy. I just want to get off these pills so I can normally eat and sleep.