Notices

Day 9...switch flipped?

Old 08-20-2013, 08:20 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 9...switch flipped? (ie "the obstacle is the path")

So I am on Day 9 of another round of seeking sobriety. Something feels different this time. Maybe it's the transcendental mediation that I've done twice a day now for almost a month. Maybe it's just the place I've come to, finally(?), in my life. Either way it feels different.

The witching hours do come of course - the 5pm through 7:45pm times - when the old habit of chasing down the poison asserts itself. But these days when I hear the beast pacing in his dungeon I feel true disassociation. I think it is this - I don't want to drink anymore. This is because I cannot drink like them out there who leave half a glass at dinner. I drink to get wasted, to enter oblivion, to lose myself. That kind of horrible drunk - there is no place for it anymore in my life. I have my son, my wife, and the hours of my days to protect from it.

I hope I don't seem over-confident. I know there are going to be hours and days where the beast reasserts himself. But I do know there's a way of thinking about drinking that's changed for me. I can't drink like other people. I don't want to drink like myself.

There's a peace in this way of thinking that I hadn't ever felt before. And a line that I love that I read in some meditation book, that I repeat every day, as it applies to sobriety and everything else in the world is "the obstacle is the path."

The obstacle is the path.

May we all get strong and stay strong.
Old 08-20-2013, 08:25 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi less, great job. Day 9 and going strong. I like that statement "I can't drink like other people and I don't want to drink like myself". So true for me too. Good work!