Notices

Hello

Old 08-20-2013, 04:04 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hello

I am mnguy and I need some advise
Is it common for people to find a meeting they really like? I find it very hard to open up at meetings and often feel like when I do I am "blowing my own horn" and not really listening.
Please help. I have not been sober since I was 9 or 10 and I am now 51. I really don't even know who I am. I am sober for 2 years now and struggling with trying to understand that the world does not revolve around me because for the last 40 years or so in my mind it did.
How to deal with the guilt, remorse, anger, resentment all directed at myself. How does a person ever come to grips with all of it?
Old 08-20-2013, 04:37 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

mnguy, welcome to SR. I've found a lot of learning and support here, hoping that you can find the same. My hat is off to you for deciding to find a better way to live, and there are many here who can help you with that--a lot of experience, strength and hope here.

I'm the wife of an A, not an A myself, so I can't offer you the sort of advice that others here can, but I wanted to reach out to you and let you know you're not alone. Folks who have been in your shoes will certainly be along soon to talk w/you and help you out.

As regards finding meetings where you feel comfortable, from my experience w/my RAH, yes, he has found several meetings where he feels very at ease and a number of people he relates to well. It has taken some time, though, and several months of that was spent going to meetings while still drinking. He does attend several different types of meetings--one that focuses on an article from the Grapevine magazine each week, one that has a speaker and topic each week, one that is a Big Book meeting, and others that follow a more regular format where the first meeting of the month is a step, the second is a topic, the third is a tradition, etc. I know he likes the variety of meeting types and says each has its good points.

Again, glad you found your way here, mnguy, and I wish you strength and clarity throughout your day.