Notices

Feeling tired all the time when sober?

Old 08-19-2013, 06:47 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Feeling tired all the time when sober?

I thought sobriety would give me more energy, and it does in the morning but by mid-afternoon I'm exhausted. I work at home, so it's not like I'm unloading trucks or anything. I was just as tired all day when I drank, but I thought sobriety would give me more energy. Is this normal? I'm 10 days in, if that matters.

Appreciate any advice.
Old 08-19-2013, 06:53 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Cool

Originally Posted by Zazzzzz View Post
I thought sobriety would give me more energy, and it does in the morning but by mid-afternoon I'm exhausted. I work at home, so it's not like I'm unloading trucks or anything. I was just as tired all day when I drank, but I thought sobriety would give me more energy. Is this normal? I'm 10 days in, if that matters.

Appreciate any advice.
Welcome!
How long and how much were you drinking.
Alcohol gives a sick temporary buzz (energy?)
Could be other factors;suggest you get a med- check up.
Old 08-19-2013, 06:54 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think you have to remember most of us have put our minds and bodies through a lot - it times time to heal.

Your energy will come back, but to be honest for me it took a couple of months.

Hopefully your journey will be a shorter one

D
Old 08-19-2013, 11:15 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Zazzzzz, I am on day 31 and still tired most of the time. I am still having trouble sleeping. I try and get through by focusing on the sober things I am really enjoying...not getting sick every morning or after I eat, hanging out with my dogs at the dog park, spending time with my daughter, remembering phone conversations and the list goes on. I know my sleep and energy will return eventually and that sobriety is worth this bump in the road. Hang in there, we will both feel better in the not too distant future.
Old 08-20-2013, 12:59 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks for the responses everyone. For whatever reason, I was under the impression I'd feel better much quicker than I suppose I will. I appreciate the thoughts. I'll just have to grin and bear it, I suppose.
Old 08-20-2013, 01:06 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Congrats on 10 days!

It takes time. I was tired too. It does get better and at some point the coin flips and I now have more stamina and energy then I ever did while drinking.

I really had no expectations when I stopped drinking. I did not know how my body or my mind would react. Everyone is different.

Alcohol has a lot of sugar in it so your blood sugar is probably wacky. I craved sweets and they helped. Try hard candy. It seemed to help me.
Old 08-20-2013, 01:06 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi Zazzzzz - I'm on day 12 and feeling full of energy. Two days ago, was a very different story and I posted asking if it was normal to keep falling asleep. I was dozing off all through the day and night on Saturday

Last night, I had a full nights sleep for the first time in months and feel brilliant this morning. I'm about to walk the mile into town and back again (I need shopping, it's not some weird health kick) but if someone had asked me to that a mere 2-3 days ago, NO chance!

x