Notices

Day 2 and ..

Old 08-19-2013, 11:17 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 2 and ..

My back spasms started again They have been my recent trigger .. The pain is unbearable .. Although I see it as "funny" I have been "hiding" for so long that I won't drink if I see the Doc tomorrow .. Not to mention I will not drink on my meds .. It's just when they run out that the problems occur .. I can barely move; can't even function cause the pain is so bad ...But I will press on though .. I just have no real plan and it is starting to bug me
Old 08-19-2013, 12:08 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by AugustWest11 View Post
I just have no real plan and it is starting to bug me
So make a plan.

You already have SR so that's a great start. Have you ever tried AA or any of the self-based/secular plans program? Some other things to consider would be counseling, outpatient Detox, etc. The big book is online as well as the text of many of the other plans.
Old 08-19-2013, 12:12 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanx Scott .. Not sure where to began to making a plan lol Groups like AA is so not for me ... Actually I have tons of reading material from last time :p Counseling is in the cards .. I see my Regular Doctor Wednesday; so gonna see if I can swing by a counseling place ..
Old 08-19-2013, 12:12 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

AugustWest, day 2 is FANTASTIC. Congratulations.
Old 08-19-2013, 12:26 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Thanx Scott .. Not sure where to began to making a plan lol Groups like AA is so not for me ... Actually I have tons of reading material from last time :p Counseling is in the cards .. I see my Regular Doctor Wednesday; so gonna see if I can swing by a counseling place ..
Seeing your doc is a good plan. Have you been honest about your drinking in the past or will this be the first visit regarding it?

Bottom line you've got to do something. That's fine if AA isn't for you but you need to then find something else that is. And rather than maybe "swinging by a counseling place" you can call one and make an actual appointment to see a counselor.

Not trying to be harsh, but the ball is in your court at this point. Take it and run with it.
Old 08-19-2013, 12:33 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Not harsh at all, just honest . Doc knows nothing. Hessitant to say anything to her .. I need a new doc. As well lol. But thanx, I got 3 days off to get the ball rolling. Counsler then new doc. Just have to occupy my time for a few days. Thanx again for the kick in the rear.
Old 08-19-2013, 12:37 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Not harsh at all, just honest . Doc knows nothing. Hessitant to say anything to her .. I need a new doc. As well lol. But thanx, I got 3 days off to get the ball rolling. Counsler then new doc. Just have to occupy my time for a few days. Thanx again for the kick in the rear.
Be completely honest with the doc. They have seen it all, and they've seen it over and over. Nothing you can say will surprise them, believe me. And frankly, if you aren't going to tell them the truth, not sure why you'd bother going anyway. They can't help if you don't tell them what the problem is. And the problem is drinking - it is for all of us. You will most likely be very surprised to find out that doctors view alcoholism as a disease and want to help you overcome it, as well as make sure there hasn't been any damage caused by it.
Old 08-19-2013, 12:40 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Actually I am in sever pain b\c of back issues is why I see her once a month .. I don't trust her; only reason she was my Doc was out of convenience lol Hence the new doc thing . I plan to be 100% honest w\ the counselor\new doc ..
Old 08-19-2013, 03:45 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think Scotts right - you need a Dr you can trust and a recovery plan. Don't procrastinate on either.

and buy one of those heating pads you throw into the microwave if you don't have one - they're great for back spasms.

D
Old 08-19-2013, 03:50 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanx Dee, too much scar tissue ; so it Burns . I plan to get a new Doc awhile ago anyway. Just not sure where I'm gonna be yet. Hell not even sure I can afford one after all is said & done.
Old 08-19-2013, 03:53 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

There are a lot of free or low cost clinics around - if there's one in your local area you might get some medical advice there?

Free/Low-Cost/Sliding-Scale Clinics
The 10377 clinics in this database are free, low cost, low cost with a sliding scale based on income, or offer some type of financial assistance.
2-1-1 Call Center Search

2-1-1 provides free and confidential information and referral. Call 2-1-1 for help with food, housing, employment, health care, counseling and more. Learn more about your local 2-1-1 by looking it up here.
I hear you on the moving and not sure where you're going to be...but honestly?
I used the same excuses myself.

Things like that should not stop you from seeing a Dr or hitting an AA meeting, man.

the more you put things off the longer you're gonna be in this limbo, AW.

D
Old 08-19-2013, 03:59 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I hear ya Bro. The Dr/counsler will be done before I go back to work thur. Night. As for AA. Doubt ever, I would feel strange having to eat a valium to deal w\ more then 2 people lol when I get cigs I usually bug, unless drinkin' .
Old 08-19-2013, 04:04 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

My bad I misread and thought you were considering using AA.

There are so many programmes out there - most of them have some kind of online meeting thing going on - there are programmes like AVRT that have no meetings at all.

You can do nothing, white knuckle it and be miserable, or drink and be miserable....or try some new things and maybe get to a better place.

up to you, but I know which door I'd pick.

D
Old 08-19-2013, 04:08 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Ohh I have been lookin' into online things. Sorry misunderstood on my Android. I thought about a meeting but I know me, I would back out when I saw people lol..
Old 08-19-2013, 06:13 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

A counselor helps me understand that I am not my alcoholism. She really helps me see outside of my own head, if that makes sense. I am day 2 as well so I know it sucks to start again, but I am focusing on the present, not the past or future. The people I have met in AA meetings are all very nice.