Notices

Need some direction

Old 08-19-2013, 10:13 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Need some direction

I keep making stupid, little mistakes at work. I am so mad and upset at myself. I am trying to slow down and check my work carefully but things get past me. I don't know how to slow myself down. I've always been a bit hyper and just try to go to fast. But I've got to get this under control or I'm going to be out of a job.

Sometimes I think I did a better job when I was hung over. I'm really just kidding about that but it seems now that I'm sober and should have a clear head I'm making stupid and careless mistakes.

I'm really down on myself today. I need to ask my HP for help.

Thanks.

Old 08-19-2013, 10:20 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I didn't show up to work today because I'm hungover. I'm scared the message I left last night will reveal I had been drinking. I just want this all to end.
Old 08-19-2013, 10:40 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

You're a bit of a different person, sober. You have to relearn a lot of things that came naturally before. I get lost in my thoughts and emotions now. It's a process, but one you can accomplish. Take deep breaths and maybe just run to the restroom for a few minutes to quiet your mind. Just like any dramatic change to life, sobriety takes time to adjust to. You got this :-)
I'm sorry about your day Kayla. I hope you don't lose your job over it!
Grant
Old 08-19-2013, 10:54 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm sorry Kayla. I hope you don't lose your job either. I hope you can get sober too. Don't give up!

Thanks Lone for the advice! It really helps.
Old 08-19-2013, 10:57 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Have you thought about why you are making mistakes.

Is your mind elsewhere, do you loose the overview do you get stressed.

I can at times have a wandering mind, which in reality is good sometimes – but not always. There are techniques and trainings that can be done to help on that.
Old 08-19-2013, 11:40 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks Soberhawk. I tend to get very stressed and lose my focus. I'd love to know some of the techniques and trainings to use to alleviate this problem. I will do a Google search to see what I can come up with.

Thanks!
Old 08-19-2013, 12:05 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Certain alcohol-related cognitive impairment is reversible with abstinence. Newly detoxified adult alcoholics often exhibit mild yet significant deficits in some cognitive abilities, especially problem-solving, short-term memory, and visuospatial abilities. By remaining abstinent, however, the recovering alcoholic will continue to recover brain function over a period of several months to 1 year—with improvements in working memory, visuospatial functioning, and attention—accompanied by significant increases in brain volume, compared with treated alcoholics who have subsequently relapsed to drinking.

I am not giving medical advice, but think you should look up info regarding Thiamine and Potassium, two important things your body loses when you stop drinking. The levels plummet for some reason, especially the Thiamine (B1). Thiamine deficiency thing is rather paramount though - the confusion, lack of being able to think straight, unable to make sentences come out the way you want or form thoughts, etc... all classic symptoms.

I also suggest engaging in problem solving activities daily... Math can help... Memorizing new things... Chess... etc... Anything that forces you to engage in active thinking will improve your cognitive abilities in all aspects of life.
Old 08-19-2013, 12:23 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks Eleni. Great advice. I guess it doesn't really help that I just turned 60 AND stopped drinking. No wonder I'm having so many issues.
Old 08-19-2013, 12:31 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Eleni is spot on. And I recommend taking extra B1 and B3 as well. In fact, I was taking a multi, a B complex... and on top of all that, extra B1 and B3. For five months. To replenish the deficiencies.

Sally, I've noticed the same tendencies. I think it is normal for newly sober people to have cognitive difficulties... our brain chemistries are changing and normalizing. And we are making new neural circuitry and all that... like literally making new connections in the brain! So, it only makes sense some of the loopiness, you know?

Just maybe try to slow down a bit on your job, stay calm, and double check yourself to make sure you've covered all your bases.
Old 08-19-2013, 01:14 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Great advice Jennie. I'm trying SO hard to slow down and double check my work. Things just slip through the cracks, which of course is no excuse, but I just miss some things. I going to hit the drug store right after work and stock up on some of the vitamins you and Eleni mentioned. I know in the grand scheme of things this is something I CAN control. Thank you all!
Old 08-19-2013, 01:16 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

At almost five months, my head is not quite so loopy anymore. I was taking lots of vitamins and some supps. If you want, I can make a list out for you. They are all things I read up on, and decided to take a chance on. Not sure just how much it all helped, but I'm guessing it couldn't hurt. I made sure I monitored for any signs of bad reactions to things, and so far, no bad side effects noticed. And I feel great. Mood swings are not so bad. Rage is gone. Thinking is getting much easier.
Old 08-19-2013, 02:31 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Jennie, I would really appreciate it if you could make a list for me of the vitamins and supplements you read up on. It certainly couldn't hurt and I'll try anything at this point to try to slow my mind and body down!!!
Old 08-19-2013, 02:46 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

If I get stressed at work, I make mistakes too. It's something I started working on a long time ago and, it's helped. Meditation is an amazing way to calm and clear your mind and help you to focus on the moment. And, simple deep breathing exercises will calm your body and mind quickly. If you make a mistake, stop for a moment and breathe slowly. Don't let the mistake stay with you because it will continue to stress you and throw you off.
Old 08-19-2013, 03:00 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Please consult with a physician before taking anything new just to be safe.

A good multivitamin (I take Rainbow Light Women's One), B complex, extra B1, extra B3, amino acid complex, NAC, Gaba, Pantothenic acid, Zinc, vitamin D3, Vitamin C (Ester C), Happy Camper (it's a combo of passion flower, kava kava, gotu kola, kola nut, wood betony, lavender & eleuthero), Natural Vitality Calm plus calcium (magnesium powder), liquid fish oil (good quality one like Carlson's or NOW), and then sometimes at night I will take a valerian capsule and some tryptophan powder. I've just recently ordered some ALA (alpha lipoic acid)... I've read some good things about it. It's an antioxidant that also has promise for treating the liver and shows some benefit to drinkers. Almost forgot... L-glutamine powder, and milk thistle.

And for PMS and cramps: Yogi Woman's Moon Cycle tea... it's the raspberry leaf that's of benefit. It pretty much stops my cramps. Amazing. Wish I'd known about this sooner.
Old 08-19-2013, 03:11 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

It took me a good few months for my brain to settle down....much longer than I expected...but not that long considering the years I devoted to drinking and drugging.

I think it's also important to maybe look at your expectations - I was a perfectionist to an insane degree and very VERY hard on myself.

I take it a little easier now - the work still gets done, maybe a little slower but my head explodes less

I think Anna's ideas are great...but as far as supplements go, I'd discuss that with your Dr first cos we're all different

D
Old 08-19-2013, 03:37 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Are you being hard on yourself? Has your performance at work been affected? Could your manager help ( no need to mention possible reasons for change in behaviour etc)? Practical things like making lists with priorities, prompts, reminders etc may be all that's needed.