Notices

Time to get Real.

Old 08-19-2013, 08:50 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Time to get Real.

First post so bear with me. Long story short, it all started with a few beers on Friday night and a few glasses of wine on Saturday. This was around 1994. I then became and advanced home brewer and obsessed over beer. 1996-2000.

Fast forward..... For the last year my average evening looks like this: 2 beers and 3 nips of 103 proof burbon for the ride home. Yeah bad idea. Once home, usually another 2 or 3 beers and 2-4 additional shots. Weekends are twice that much. Somehow through the grace of God, I'm functional. I have no idea how. I can get completely tanked and still get up the next day and lead a productive life. The irony is that I think it's this very fact that has helped me to hang on to drinking.

Beleive it or not, I'm somsone who always placed a high value in being athletic and in great shape, even at my age 40+. I've competed in bodybuilding in the past and used to be an avid cardio junky. For the last 6 months, I've gained allot of weight, I'm so bloated its hard to breath and I'm just sick of it. A flight of stairs wipes me out!

I tried quiting 4 weeks ago. I got some benzo's from the doc and a med to help curb cravings. I did good for a week. Mild withdrawals. Nothing crazy - feeling like bugs were crawling on me was the worst. I'm giving it another try today. I am sick of feeling like crap, looking like crap and performing like crap. I also just started a great new job which I would very much like to advance in. I feel like if I don't grab the bull by the horns here and now, it will be too late. I'm joining a gym today, I've prepared all my meals for the week, I have 6 hits of adivan left (to help sleep) and my anti craving med..

So, I guess it would be good to have support from people who get it. I just don't want alcohol to rob me of another minute of my life.

Comment, opinions and a wish of good luck are all welcome!
Old 08-19-2013, 12:58 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR. It sounds like you're disciplined with other parts of your life. This is a great site for support. Stay strong!
Old 08-19-2013, 03:41 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR SLB

you'll find a wealth of support and encouragement here - glad to have you aboard

what drove you back to drinking after a week, do you think?

D
Old 08-19-2013, 03:46 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome matey.
Old 08-19-2013, 04:22 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome, and it sounds like you're ready to stop drinking. We're here for support.
Old 08-19-2013, 05:00 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

to the site. You'll find a lot of support here.