Notices

Trying day 1

Old 08-19-2013, 05:03 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Trying day 1

Hey everyone...

Found this site yesterday while I was drinking. First beer at 12:00pm and last glass of wine sat unfinished as I passed out around 10:00pm. Solid ten hours of drinking, and felt pretty foggy this morning. Decided to take the day off, which I rarely do, and go see my folks who are in town. I'm considering telling them about my problem because its hard to quit because its almost expected that I drink with them. They love a party, even though they both have had there problems with booze. One of my sisters recently lost her license for a dui, and continues to drink, so you see, it runs in the family. I did tell my wife about finding this site, and possibly going to AA. She's really supportive. So nervous about trying to quit, because I've tried before and failed. Hopefully this site will help.
Old 08-19-2013, 05:08 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

let us know how you are doing

Originally Posted by Fishhead View Post
drinking

it runs in the family

I did tell my wife about finding this site, and possibly going to AA

She's really supportive

Hopefully this site will help.
I think that you are taking a good first step

let us know how you are doing

and

if we may be of any help

Mountainman
Old 08-19-2013, 05:38 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome and this is a good place to explore by reading these threads to get an idea of what’s happening and get the feeling your not alone and others understand because of being there ourselves. I had difficulty getting honest with myself about my drinking because I did a lot of comparing and I was scared to “abandon” a friend that “comforted” me for so long. Finally when the pain got bad enough I needed to surrender to the fact I could not drink in safety and the sober journey progressed with work.
Old 08-19-2013, 05:43 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I just wanted to post something. Today will be my first day of sobriety also. I went 7 months without a drink and then the past few weeks have been binging really hard. Yesterday i didn't have anything to eat and had some beer after work. Today i feel really horrible and am freaking out about having to go to work for 10 hours. It's a new job too so i don't feel comfortable calling off. I'm scared right now. It feels like maybe i can't do it.

I hope your journey is better than what I'm going through. Being sober is so infinitely better than this feeling. Just remember that.
Old 08-19-2013, 05:48 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Alcofribas,

Thanks for sharing your story and support. i really hope today goes well for you. Best of luck, you can do it. I know exactly how you feel when you talk about having to go to work for ten hours feeling the way you do. All the best
Old 08-19-2013, 05:48 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
p***enger

Hi Fishhead & Alcofribas!

Welcome to SR. This is a great site for support. I remember posting here when I was just one or two days off the sauce, detoxing at work. This site got me through the first rocky days, and then helped me find the help I needed.

Keep posting, and stay strong!!!
Old 08-19-2013, 06:05 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

thank you for the supportive responses. Today is one of those hangovers that feels like I'm really in a hellish prison and can't break out. I feel trapped by my own behavior and I'm freaking out a bit. I couldn't sleep very well bc of the nausea and i feel really weak today. I know i sound like a big baby but this is a really hard one.

It's especially messed up bc when i was sober for the first seven months of the year i felt great. Really good. Ad i would always remind myself of how horrible drinking felt. And yet here i am, freaking out bc i went on a binge and feel like i can't even plow through a day at work.