Notices

New member, old problem

Old 08-18-2013, 08:51 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New member, old problem

My wife lived with a bottlenose (ex-hubby) for many years. She was on her best behaviour when she married me but has slipped again. Thinking it's 'healthy', she drinks 1.5 bottles of fizzy wine every other night. When we were out to dinner the other week, she put away a full carafe in very short order.

The consumption is therefore 43-ish units per week (over 54 this week) - more than three times the 'safe' maximum. If I mention it, I'm told to 'back off'. When the wine is in - and the wit out - such a lot of B/S is talked it's untrue. Essentially, most of it is drunken abuse.

Chats with a drug/alcohol advisor have established that Mrs. S. is a functioning alcoholic (F.A.). I stopped drinking in my mid-twenties - never was a big drinker and like my driving licence too much to put it - and anyone else - at risk.

I can't see the attraction - and am on 3/4 full dose of antidepressants 'cos I really don't know where I am with my wife. If she knew this was being posted, I'd be dead meat.
Help.
Old 08-18-2013, 09:06 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
TKS

Hello, and welcome. Being driven to antidepressants is not good. Perhaps you need to get her along to the counselor you're talking to. She's obviously not going to go for it immediately so you probably need to sit down and share your thoughts with her, the impact it's having on your health, the relationship etc when she's sober.
Old 08-18-2013, 09:53 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

You might want to post here on the SoberRecovery Friends and Family forum. There are lots of us there struggling to deal with alcoholic spouses and partners, and lots of community and help.

Welcome to SoberRecovery, so sorry for the reason you are here.

ShootingStar1
Old 08-19-2013, 01:16 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Snood, and sorry for what you are having to struggle through. I feel like you will learn a lot from this forum, especially the friends and family forum. It isn't possible to control someone else's behaviour but I feel like voicing your opinion will help. You won't get a great reception because it seems like she doesn't want to quit, but I am sure something will register and it will help her in the future x