Notices

need to take the edge off!

Old 08-17-2013, 07:12 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

need to take the edge off!

Kind of struggling! Still having trouble when I come home from work, I'm so tense! I cook dinner, have a non-alcoholic drink, but I'm having a lot of trouble unwinding in the evening, or especially when having severe pre-menstrual anxiety and tension. I'm pacing around the house. Don't know what to do. Just want to take the edge off so badly! Help!
Old 08-17-2013, 07:17 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think we get so used to 'taking the edge off' as drinkers and drug takers that we come to expect it - I know I did.

I had to learn other ways to relax - and most of them take a little work and practice...

Exercise is good for me, as is hobbies...I also find some deep breathing can relax me...

others use meditation, or changing your routine...maybe delegating some tasks if thats possible?
Old 08-17-2013, 07:19 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

A lot of people (me included) work out after work. Kills an hour or two, lets off some stress, gets some endorphins flowing, makes me want to drink water and eat a big dinner. And after a nice meal, 32oz of water and something made of chocolate for dessert, I'm not thinkin' booze, I'm thinkin' bed.

So that's what I do, anyway.
Old 08-17-2013, 07:50 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

The exercise idea will help with all that energy. Instead of pacing you could take up jogging. I know that you will figure this out.
Old 08-17-2013, 08:08 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
quat

or even just walking around the neighborhood, and maybe we invent the edges just to have a reason to 'take them off'
Old 08-17-2013, 08:12 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Nothing is impossible!

Originally Posted by AlexaDaly View Post
Kind of struggling! Still having trouble when I come home from work, I'm so tense! I cook dinner, have a non-alcoholic drink, but I'm having a lot of trouble unwinding in the evening, or especially when having severe pre-menstrual anxiety and tension. I'm pacing around the house. Don't know what to do. Just want to take the edge off so badly! Help!
You will be okay. In recovery you will learn to deal with life in healthier, better ways and to cope without the crutch of alcohol. What are you doing to be proactive about these feelings? How can you tackle them head on without alcohol? These are great questions to start with. Tomorrow is a new day!
Old 08-17-2013, 08:19 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

AlexaDaly, do you watch tv at all or do you like to read? I find those activities help.
Old 08-17-2013, 09:36 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Yes, I do read a lot. I have a Kindle Fire and I read a lot! It gets pretty chaotic around my house in the evening with 3 teenagers and my husband, and I think I need to remove myself to somewhere quiet and do some of the meditating exercises for relaxation.

I tried smoking some marijuana with my husband, and it was just gross! I haven't smoked pot since the 80s! Definitely not for me, even though it is LEGAL here in Washington state where I live, can you believe that? Definitely not becoming a pot head. We both felt really stupid. Didn't happen again. Gotta find a better way to relieve stress!

Thanks for all your help everybody!
Old 08-18-2013, 08:00 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
totfit

Exercise.
Old 08-18-2013, 08:41 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AlexaDaly View Post
I cook dinner, have a non-alcoholic drink, but I'm having a lot of trouble unwinding in the evening
What about that unwind after work differs from your after work routine when you were drinking. Something about the "have a non-alcoholic drink" jumps out at me. You cannot kill off nervous energy or tension with a Mountain Dew (despite what those advertisers wanna tell ya : ). I think the crowd here is on to something...exercise...even a walk perhaps. On my way home from work I often pop a relaxation music CD in and it really helps. I also sometimes listen to a spiritual podcast. You need a new something something to address your unwind.
Old 08-18-2013, 08:53 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Exercise is usually not an option for me. As a nurse I'm on my feet literally all day. I probably sit down at lunch for about 20 minutes. I wear a pedometer and I usually clock between 6 and 8 miles a day. So when I get home I just want to sit down, not exercise more.
Old 08-18-2013, 09:04 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Recovered

Ok,

Meeting
Hot bath
Accupressure
Massage
Hobby
Change Routine
Prayer
Writing

I also worked 12+ hours on my feet and exercise definitely IS an option for me. It is different than being on the feet working. It can be meditative. Weight training, etc. It is like magic.

I know I "needed" to take the edge off and found excuses to do so when my willingness to try other things was low. Feeling my feelings did not make my hair catch on fire. It was uncomfortable at first, but it got better.

Hope you are feeling better soon.
Old 08-18-2013, 09:07 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

go to a meeting

When I was new the best way was to go to a meetings the time it took to fix my food get cleaned get to a meeting get home after the meeting shower I felt better and it took up the time from work to bed ti e and felt better