SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   London Calling (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/304499-london-calling.html)

serenitykevin 08-17-2013 06:38 PM

London Calling

Good morning all (2.36am here),

My name is Kevin from London. Just come to say hello. I am hoping to get to know some of you.

I am an alcoholic in recovery by the Grace of a loving Higher Power that I choose to call God.

Blessings,

Kevin

Dee74 08-17-2013 06:42 PM

....to the far away towns...:)

good to have you here Kevin - welcome :)

D

wakko 08-17-2013 06:57 PM

welcome to SR

ZoeM 08-17-2013 06:58 PM

Morning London :) Oddly enough, it's the same time at the other end of the M1 :)

Hevyn 08-17-2013 07:10 PM

Happy to meet you Kevin. You found a wonderful place. :) Congratulations on your recovery.

FeenixxRising 08-17-2013 07:18 PM

Welcome Kevin

dwtbd 08-17-2013 07:52 PM

Hello kevin
Clash fan, or old enough to remember ww2?

keen2bclean 08-17-2013 09:12 PM

:welcome Kevin...fellow Londoner :)

quitforme79 08-17-2013 11:32 PM

Welcome Kevin :)

DarkDays 08-18-2013 12:15 AM

London born and bred , so glad I live in the greatest city on the planet :)))

Welcome Kevin.

ReadyAtLast 08-18-2013 12:22 AM

Welcome Kevin :)

hypochondriac 08-18-2013 01:51 AM

Welcome to SR Kevin x

ChefUK 08-18-2013 02:13 AM

Welcome Kevin, you'll find loads of recovering alcoholics from the UK on SR.

heath480 08-18-2013 03:10 AM

Welcome Kevin,I am up the M1 a bit from London.

Grace2 08-18-2013 08:25 AM

Welcome Kevin and I'm a bit further down than Heath above. xx

hayley86 08-18-2013 08:28 AM

Welcome Kevin, lots of support and advice here.

serenitykevin 08-20-2013 10:55 PM

Good morning all,

Thank you for all the encouragement and greetings.

I am a happy customer of AA. The promises came true and I never thought it possible to wake in the morning and not spend the first hour hour being gripped with fear about yesterday or tomorrow.

I became poorly as a result of my alcoholism and now I am better than I was but don't walk very well and don't work as such. I work in a hospice on a voluntary basis a couple of days a week and I do service in the Fellowship.

It is amazing being sober and as the years mount up it gets better. I like to get to 6am meetings and start the day well. I am also involved in my church and that has been an inspiration.

I don't have a downside to my sobriety but the process of change that happens as a result of being taken through the steps was almost beyond me.

It was only the fact that I had nowhere else to turn and nothing left spiritually, mentally, emotionally or physically that enabled me to stick it out. I hated AA at first and I hated the steps and the programme. I especially hated people at meetings who said, "and I'll finish on this", because I knew we were all in for another 15 minutes.

I stuck it out and risk reward ratio is exponential. I have been given a thousand times more than I ever expected.

The early days are very hard, getting to grips with the programme and the meetings can be a nightmare. My Higher Power has done most of the work for me though and I obviously did survive.

Stick it out please if you can. It is the only place I know where I don't have to explain and I won't be judged.

God Bless You All,

Kevin

Dee74 08-20-2013 11:00 PM

glad you've found your way to recovery Kevin :)

D

Vicki31 08-20-2013 11:06 PM

Morning Kevin,

Thanks for that great post, I am considering going to my first AA meeting this evening....

Luckily I do know someone who goes there but I feel quite nervous, if I am going I need to text my friend this morning to get the details - got to make the decision in the next hour.

SR is a great place to be - I'm new but already so glad I found it - everyone is so supportive.

Have a great day everyone

serenitykevin 08-20-2013 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by Vicki31 (Post 4134539)
Morning Kevin,

Thanks for that great post, I am considering going to my first AA meeting this evening....

Luckily I do know someone who goes there but I feel quite nervous, if I am going I need to text my friend this morning to get the details - got to make the decision in the next hour.

SR is a great place to be - I'm new but already so glad I found it - everyone is so supportive.

Have a great day everyone

Well I hope you make the right decision for you Vicki. If you are one of us life ios probably pretty miserable.

Must go and get wet now otherwise I would send a longer message.

Blessings,

Kevin