Notices

And then there's me...

Old 08-17-2013, 11:26 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

And then there's me...

Well, I'm on day 6 and physically I feel like all the alcohol is out of my system physically. And this is what I always realize when I've gotten to this point in the past - what I'm left with is me. All of my faults, resentments, quirks, insecurities, regrets, failures, anger, etc. There's probably some good stuff mixed in there too, but for whatever reason I seem to stay focused on the bad. This is the stuff I have to face sober if I am going to stay sober.
Old 08-17-2013, 11:42 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You took the words out of my mouth, but said it much better. I made it two weeks and rode through the 'cravings,' but caved when I felt a wash of self-loathing and shame. Back on day 2.

This stuff is not going to go away by itself--we have to face it and work through it. Continuing to drink will only postpone the true work. Thank you for the inspirational post--helps to know that others feel this way too.
Old 08-17-2013, 12:26 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Im on day 4 and i'm feeling pretty low. Did you feel better today on day 6 than you did 2 days ago??
Old 08-17-2013, 12:36 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mirage74 View Post
Well, I'm on day 6 and physically I feel like all the alcohol is out of my system physically. And this is what I always realize when I've gotten to this point in the past - what I'm left with is me. All of my faults, resentments, quirks, insecurities, regrets, failures, anger, etc. There's probably some good stuff mixed in there too, but for whatever reason I seem to stay focused on the bad. This is the stuff I have to face sober if I am going to stay sober.
Hi and congratulations on 6 days, one day at a time things (we) improve if we let it happen and are honest with ourselves. I discovered my thinking was not my strong point when I plugged the jug. We don't like it but there is damage internally that needs time to repair and adjust to no alcohol in the system and the beast wants us to get back into the fold of drinking to "escape." I used/use AA and this forum is a source for help also. KEEP COMING AND BE WELL
Old 08-17-2013, 01:01 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by RJY9 View Post
Im on day 4 and i'm feeling pretty low. Did you feel better today on day 6 than you did 2 days ago??
Hi RJY9, physically yes. Emotionally it's like a roller coaster. I'm spending some time alone, which usually means danger. But I'm in an IOP and have been going to a lot of meetings. However, the people have only been managing to aggrevate me. So at times I start to wonder if its worth it. This board is about the only thing keeping me going.

I seem to have a problem with people (in real life). I have a few theories as to why this is, but my natural instinct is to blame it on them. It's like I'm angry at the world - well really the people where I live. My counselor says if you are having a problem with a bunch of different people, what's the common denominator? Me. That's kind of what I mean by my OP. That's what I'm going to have to work on if my life is going to improve.
Old 08-17-2013, 01:08 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Actually...and you can look it up...

...Alcohol is not depleted from your body until 21 days...MINIMUM...and for most heavy drinkers it is 27 to 30 days minimum. There are certain areas of the body that donot purge it out until....6 months following total abstinance.

At 6 days...your just feeling the initial "Brain Fog" starting to clear up. Stick with it. Your off to a good start !

Duh...huh
Old 08-17-2013, 02:02 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

It gets easier. Have you found any new hobbies?
Old 08-17-2013, 02:54 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DuhDave View Post
...Alcohol is not depleted from your body until 21 days...MINIMUM...and for most heavy drinkers it is 27 to 30 days minimum. There are certain areas of the body that donot purge it out until....6 months following total abstinance.

At 6 days...your just feeling the initial "Brain Fog" starting to clear up. Stick with it. Your off to a good start !

Duh...huh

I'm on DAY 25. I also thought that around Day 5 or 6 all the alcohol had left my body as physically I was feeling pretty good. But as time has gone by I realise that I am still suffering the physical withdrawals, like yesterday on Day 24 waking up with the taste of wine in my mouth....no not my imagination, and this morning feeling like I have a mild hangover. Also, feeling a bit down this morning, despite a real improvement in my mood over the past 25 days.
Old 08-17-2013, 03:06 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

me is a good place to start

remember tho - this is the beginning, not the end...this isn't as good as it gets - the whole point of recovery is to get better

have the faith it will get better mirage74

D