Notices

Stay sober this weekend!!! 16 - 17 - 18!

Old 08-16-2013, 07:44 PM
  # 61 (permalink)  

34 not bad. I love crappie fishing. Love to eat them too. Wish my Friday night had been spent doing that. Doing good!
Old 08-16-2013, 07:53 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  

Hi.I will stay sober this weekend also. Been completely sober for 4 1/2 weeks. Its just starting to really bother me the last 2 days. OMG..I could go for a bottle of wine right now. But I will not. I will stay sober and I have many reasons. Does this just keep getting harder than easier??? Man, this does suck...lol But happy havent had a hangover for 4 1/2 weeks!:
Old 08-16-2013, 08:07 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Hey Guys, just checking in from PA. It's so odd but the minute I cross the border from MD to PA it's like air being let out of a balloon. I love living in MD, don't get me wrong, but working in DC all week is being in a pressure cooker. Coming back to my home state always makes me happy and relieved. Even if it is indeed full of eccentric people...especially around the beginning of football season in Philly

I am loving the Weasel/Triky two-step combo here on the thread. Awesome energy and support from two of the best on this forum. Triky Weasel Weekend? Gosh, that sounds kind of like a...well, nevermind. I'll keep this G-rated

Hang in there those on their first or first few weekends. I know these are the hardest to get through. Were for me. But the benefits of waking up sober and having a whole day to do stuff free of a hangover cannot be overstated.

Hey, where's Mecanix? I haven't seen him check-in yet...

Ken, beef rolls with scallions sound delish! I have all of this shaved steak for cheesesteaks in the freezer and I am thinking of braciole so we're kind of on the same page.

Ricky, thanks for the love...you know I got nothing but the same for you here

Alright, I am off to bed to read and have hot cocoa (yeah, it is preemptive but it's about 55 degrees F here in the mountains so it's not quite so unusual)

See you all tomorrow! Sober hugs and good wishes tonight! xoxo
Old 08-16-2013, 08:12 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  
Clear Eyes Full Heart

Glad everyone is doing well getting through the weekend!

I haven't been on SR in awhile, just busy, but have been thinking of everyone.

I needed to stop in today. It's been a year and a month, but cravings have been more intense lately out of the blue. Maybe because I haven't been here enough. Or, maybe it's just a string of beautiful summer days watching the tourists enjoy their vacations...

I feel strengthened just being here.
Old 08-16-2013, 08:14 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by mrsL View Post
Hi.I will stay sober this weekend also. Been completely sober for 4 1/2 weeks. Its just starting to really bother me the last 2 days. OMG..I could go for a bottle of wine right now. But I will not. I will stay sober and I have many reasons. Does this just keep getting harder than easier??? Man, this does suck...lol But happy havent had a hangover for 4 1/2 weeks!:
Hang in there, Mrs. L! The first few months are a little rocky but it WILL get easier, I promise. I was a two bottle of wine/night girl (more on weekends) and I couldn't even begin to imagine my life without it. I got really bothered by cravings and obsessive thoughts around weeks 5-6 too. Your mind is starting to heal and it's learning how to function again without the booze. It feels strange and this can be a difficult period but just hang in there. It does let up and those thoughts and feelings start to become fewer and fewer. Just don't give in...everytime we go backwards it makes it harder to start again and undoes all the good stuff that allowing our bodies/minds to heal had done. Stick with us, we'll help you through.

And 4 1/2 weeks is FANTASTIC. You are well on your way...congrats!!
Old 08-16-2013, 08:18 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  

Today is Day 2 and I'm committed to my first sober weekend in a long time. Here we go!
Old 08-16-2013, 08:20 PM
  # 67 (permalink)  

Night ptcapote and all. Checking in from O'Hare International Airport, staying at a nice hotel (for a change) and enjoying it. Normally I'd be ticked off at being stuck in the 'burbs but it's actually not that bad having swanky digs at a cheap rate.

Feeling a bit sad tonight - or regretful. I have a friend overseas who went to a routine dental appointment and got a tooth removed. For some reason it struck me funny, she told me over e-mail chat and I made some wise crack about her being toothless, etc. She didn't take it well and logged off with a quick goodbye. Sigh. I should have been more empathetic, especially considering I have had health scares in the past much worse than that. It was real insensitive of me to joke around about something she is clearly insecure about. Hell, I would be too. Now I want to apologize, but don't want to bombard her with a huge apology...I was in the shower just now and spent the whole time thinking about how to approach it.

I also have made the first couple of cuts for a new job. The next step is a flight to DC where I'll take a test, interview with 2 people, do an oral exam and then have an essay...this will take place about 11 days from now. I'm not nervous...yet. But I'm worried that I'll freak out or panic, and just planting that seed is dangerous. I need to pull that weed out of the ground before it grows...basically, I'm nervous about being nervous, if that makes sense! Aaargh. All I have to do is be myself, and be calm, and I can nail this thing. I just need to find a way to shut my fear sensors off - I used to do that with liquor (those job interviews didn't go so well either, obviously, haha).

A lot on my mind this Friday night I guess. Glad the sober weekend thread is here to let me vent it out. Happy weekend all.
Old 08-16-2013, 08:46 PM
  # 68 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bigsombrero View Post
Night ptcapote and all. Checking in from O'Hare International Airport, staying at a nice hotel (for a change) and enjoying it. Normally I'd be ticked off at being stuck in the 'burbs but it's actually not that bad having swanky digs at a cheap rate.

Feeling a bit sad tonight - or regretful. I have a friend overseas who went to a routine dental appointment and got a tooth removed. For some reason it struck me funny, she told me over e-mail chat and I made some wise crack about her being toothless, etc. She didn't take it well and logged off with a quick goodbye. Sigh. I should have been more empathetic, especially considering I have had health scares in the past much worse than that. It was real insensitive of me to joke around about something she is clearly insecure about. Hell, I would be too. Now I want to apologize, but don't want to bombard her with a huge apology...I was in the shower just now and spent the whole time thinking about how to approach it.

I also have made the first couple of cuts for a new job. The next step is a flight to DC where I'll take a test, interview with 2 people, do an oral exam and then have an essay...this will take place about 11 days from now. I'm not nervous...yet. But I'm worried that I'll freak out or panic, and just planting that seed is dangerous. I need to pull that weed out of the ground before it grows...basically, I'm nervous about being nervous, if that makes sense! Aaargh. All I have to do is be myself, and be calm, and I can nail this thing. I just need to find a way to shut my fear sensors off - I used to do that with liquor (those job interviews didn't go so well either, obviously, haha).

A lot on my mind this Friday night I guess. Glad the sober weekend thread is here to let me vent it out. Happy weekend all.
Hey BigS, always nice to have you here. You have good stuff to say I am a chronic "foot in the mouth" person (although much, much less so now that I am sober, obviously) and have said stuff like you did to your friend meaning no harm only to realize it was probably insensitive later. Things don't always translate as funny across chat or email even if they were intended in a lighthearted way. If she's your friend, she probably knows you didn't mean anything cruel by it.

Congrats on getting to that stage with the job interview! That's awesome! What an interview schedule! Sounds serious and like you deserve to have gotten this far. But don't pregame it or psych yourself out. You'll do great.

Feel free to PM me if you want any recommendations on places to stay/eat/things to do/etc. in DC. Don't know how familiar you are with the city but always happy to help.

Have a good night/weekend!
Old 08-16-2013, 08:56 PM
  # 69 (permalink)  

Thanks. Yeah, this friend is pretty sensitive about things, English is not her first language either so I think that jokes are literally "lost in translation" in writing. Doesn't excuse anything though - the fact that she was offended is still something that's going to bother me. I don't have a lot of close friends these days so I'm probably feeling over-worried about offending one of the few people in my life, etc.

Thanks for the offer ptcapote, I'll be in touch and maybe you can give me some tips, even though I know I'll probably be there less than 24 hours. It's gonna be all business for this chap!
Old 08-16-2013, 10:08 PM
  # 70 (permalink)  

Jumping in here. Tonight is my first night sober in a week or so, and of course it's a Friday...good strategy, right? I'm hanging in, though. Heading to bed very soon. Good luck, all.
Old 08-16-2013, 11:06 PM
  # 71 (permalink)  

Hi Sobersovereign, good for you on your first sober weekend. Keep coming back and posting, we will be here.

Went to the dog park with my daughter and her dog. Dropped off the dog and walked around her town's downtown, which isn't much. She moved there in February and has really not explored. We then went to dinner and of course the waiter started with "may I start you off with an ice cold beer or glass of wine?" This did not trigger me because I never drank when out to eat. My daughter looked up after the waiter left and said "I feel badly for you, it must be hard, it is everywhere. You don't go out and have a waiter say would you like a hit of heroin." LOL, I had to laugh. The only trigger I had was when we were walking around downtown and there were people sitting outside with frozen margaritas, it was warm out today and I did like a good margarita. I really had no desire to drink I think I was just mourning the fact that there are no margaritas ever in my future unless I say hold the tequila! We then went shopping for a few things for her house and took the dog for a walk. Got home about midnight, all in all it was a great day. Saturday and Sunday will be catch up on long neglected chore days, hopefully, if I can finally get some motivation. Saturday (today) is day 28.

Love this thread and reading everyone's commitment to staying sober. Do not know what I would do without SR, thanks all! Enjoy your sober weekend.
Old 08-17-2013, 12:46 AM
  # 72 (permalink)  
(previously uksupport)

Originally Posted by ZoeM View Post
Can I join you as well please? First sober weekend in months (last week didn't count as I was busy withdrawing) x
Thats a good point, same here. I dont count saturday morning in A&E!
Old 08-17-2013, 01:26 AM
  # 73 (permalink)  

We're both a lot better off this weekend Chef
Day 9 begins ... x
Old 08-17-2013, 03:08 AM
  # 74 (permalink)  

Count me in for this weekend. Tea + SR, a great way to begin a day sober. Have a great sober weekend fellow SR people.
Old 08-17-2013, 05:00 AM
  # 75 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Good morning ! Slept 13 hours.... Felt so good to wake up slow.

Ready for the day!

Everyone sound like they are doing ok.

Chores chores chores....
Old 08-17-2013, 05:09 AM
  # 76 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

Present and accounted for! This will be 12 weekends with no alcohol and I wouldn't trade them any of them.

I'm amazed that Saturday and Sunday mornings actually exist
Old 08-17-2013, 05:20 AM
  # 77 (permalink)  

Good morning all. Day 2 for me and its a sunny Saturday morning. The anxiety of yesterday is passing, but I'm still feeling emotional and teary today. Going to try my best to make the most of this Saturday and stay out of my own head! Right now enjoying a cup of coffee in a quiet house and checking in with all of you is a great start. I will stay close to SR and reach out if any thoughts come aknockin, Im not going to ruin my Sunday by giving up today. Hope you all are well and enjoying your sober day.
Old 08-17-2013, 05:42 AM
  # 78 (permalink)  

LadyBlue you're doing great!!! Keep it up!!
Old 08-17-2013, 05:55 AM
  # 79 (permalink)  

Hi zalta! You doing good! Luckily I've been able to shut my *@$$!!" av down as soon as it starts to make a "suggestion". I had practice doing this for a few months prior to joining the August class. Lots of practice .
Old 08-17-2013, 07:53 AM
  # 80 (permalink)  

Joining in on this sober weekend. All of you are strong and I am grateful for your presence.

Enjoy! I'll be back after soaking in some sun to soothe this wounded body!