Notices

Isnt being sober enough....

Old 08-16-2013, 05:47 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  
No half measures

In AA there is a line that says , 'What do you get when a horse thief sobers up? You get a sober horse thief.' Alcoholism is just a symptom of our real problems. Until we address and deal with those problems the chances of staying sober are minimal.

I was not part of the AA fan club at the beginning but I kept going because it helped me to not drink. Today I realize that AA saved my life. Nobody says you have to like it.
Old 08-16-2013, 05:55 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

x
Old 08-17-2013, 01:35 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

I am a rather introvert person, I fought that a lot when younger – today I accept and understand this.

I have a lot of human contact at work with lot of conflicts, presentations and trying to understand different peoples position. Some people get energized in company with others some get drained for energy and need solitude to find them selfs again. I am among the later.

If I would go the AA way I would be fighting on two fronts my personality and my addiction, that would be to difficult for me.

I think isolation is also dangerous especially for introverts, I can take it to far. It is a balance thing.
Old 08-17-2013, 02:03 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Getting cravings every now and then is hardly white knuckling it is it, just say to myself man up and get on with it , I ain't ever drinking makes it a lot easier and liberating.
Old 08-17-2013, 07:47 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

It is not a rant Zalta, you are sharing an experience and I at least appreciate it.

But I have not idea what you mean by “Then best of British with it.” - I understand the words but not the meaning.
Old 08-17-2013, 08:28 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

I understand the saying soberhawk, it's a kind of sarcastic good luck statement meaning, wishing a person luck while not really holding out much hope. Apologies to anyone who finds my interpretation wrong or offensive but it's my understanding and i'm born and bred in Scotland so as a 'neighbour' to the english british, i've heard that statement used for years.

What I don't understand is why Zalta and Cormat are writing exactly the same post with no quote? Is this a mistake or are you the same person, very confusing?!

MTD I guess it's just a personal thing. I did really well a few months back and lasted 30 days just with the help of SR. I thought SR would be enough for me to continue and try again, but each try since has ultimately failed. I'm now 7 days sober and have decided to attend a meeting tomorrow. I've been in the past to the odd meeting and cried my way through, largely because I had taken a drink for courage before attending. Tomorrow will be my first attendance sober. I may like it, I may hate it, but I realise now that for me, using SR alone, while an invaluable resource, for me at this moment, I need more. I also need to rid myself of the isolated feelings I harbour as i'm naturally sociable. As said by many others, I guess it's just each to our own. I wish you well with your recovery.
Old 08-17-2013, 09:12 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Originally Posted by MTD View Post
Thanks for that. I am doing what I can for now. I am staying sober but my AH went to inpatient rehab and thinks he has all the answers...well I just don't fit into that whole thing. Feel like our relationship is drifting apart
That's the thing, alcohol was your common bond, like your relationship was a threesome: you, him and the booze. You remove alcohol from the equation and have two newly sober people who are starting to discover themselves and might not know each other very well at this point of time.
The relationship will never be the same and you guys will probably have to address some issues which were hidden under all that alcoholic consumption.

I also feel (maybe I am wrong) that you resent a little bit his new friends and his participation in meetings..AA is not the only way to have a sober content life but it is his way and you will have to accept it the same way he will have to accept you are choosing another path.

It might not always be an easy road and some relationships do not survive sobriety but as long as neither one of you pick up the first drink, there is hope

Anyway, congratulations on 2 weeks