Notices

Quit on your own? Or forced to?

Old 08-15-2013, 06:14 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

It was a forceful quitting of my own. I really had no other choice, so I find it to be a major blessing in this life of mine.
Old 08-15-2013, 06:25 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Choice. Tired of feeling like I was a terrible person. Tired of constantly being torn and ending up doing what I knew was harmful to my spirit and my body and then regretting it so much the next morning. Tired of picking my daughter up from school and her anxiously asking if my day was good or bad (she knew bad days I drank). Tired of the sad look my husband gave me when I walked in the door carrying my nightly poison. Tired of all of it.

Those people at the center you go to will not get better until they get tired. You are stronger than them right now because you WANT to get clean. Just smile to yourself and know that the awesome part is if you decide not to go anymore you can stop - they can't. You are still in control of your life! Congrats on your desire and motivation!!! Don't stop loving yourself!!!
Old 08-15-2013, 06:47 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

my parents never told me I had to stop drinking, they wanted me to but it was ultimately up to me to get sober, they offered me the choice of live under our roof and stop drinking or move out and do whatever, I chose a roof over my head, 8 months sober
Old 08-15-2013, 06:49 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I stopped the day I was arrested, I was looking for ways to quit before that, but, they never worked. I'm under court order not to drink, but, I have no intention of starting again.
Old 08-15-2013, 06:50 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

It's my choice. I'm what many would consider a "high-bottom drinker". However, if not for a lot of random luck, I could easily be a "low-bottom drunk". I'm pretty good at being honest with myself, so I recognize I have a problem. And when I have a problem, I like to face it head on.

I suggest ignoring the court-mandated people in your program as much as possible. They are toxic individuals IMO, and while I don't personally know them, it's a good bet they will end up either dead or in jail (at the very least, they will suffer a lot of pain and heartache). The road you're traveling will see you arriving at a good place, the road the others are taking will see them arrive at a very bad place. It's just too bad they can't see that.
Old 08-15-2013, 07:11 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

For me I guess choice. Although me quitting was prompted by my husband who had finally expressed his concern to me verbally. Before that I knew I needed to quit, and wanted to quit, but honestly....if he hadn't said anything...don't know for sure if/when I would have quit.

So I guess a little of both, but so glad I did!!!!
Old 08-16-2013, 05:02 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

Originally Posted by Dollyangel17 View Post
For me I guess choice. Although me quitting was prompted by my husband who had finally expressed his concern to me verbally. Before that I knew I needed to quit, and wanted to quit, but honestly....if he hadn't said anything...don't know for sure if/when I would have quit.

So I guess a little of both, but so glad I did!!!!
My quitting occurred this time because I knew that if I didn't that divorce proceedings were going to occur. However, I had quit for him in the past and all that netted me was sitting in the living room whining on Friday and Saturday nights. I would sit in silence until he would ask "What's wrong?" as I knew that he would. Then I could profess how there was NOTHING to do! That I was BORED. This was a deliberate tactic. He loves his video games and if he was going to require that I quit then that was going to require that he stop playing his video games and entertain me. I stayed silent about his hours of video game playing in trade for his silence about my drinking. Hence, if I couldn't drink I was going to disrupt his fun time. It worked. Once he knew that he was going to have to back off on the video games he gave in and said "If you're going to drink, drink, just be mindful of how much". There was more of a conversation then that but you get the gist.

I knew that in order to succeed it had to be for no one else but me. In turn, the way that I perceive it is "I quit for no one else but me however, they get to reap the benefits too". It's empowering and believe me, any time that he has spoken words that imply I did it for him I correct him quickly. My sobriety belongs to ME. By doing that I disengage my AV because it can no longer say "Hey you, you don't have a problem with your drinking, they do. Are you going to give in to their will? Are you going to live your life they way they want you to live it? Doesn't that make you resentful? Come on, you can drink if you want to!". Well AV, BE GONE, you are not going to take this away from me this time because now it's MY choice.

So in totality, you quit for you but everyone else gets benefits from that.
Old 08-16-2013, 05:26 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I hit bottom, I knew I was sick from drinking. No one forced me, it was my choice and a good one.