Notices

I like being sober, REALLY like it

Old 08-14-2013, 06:23 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I like being sober, REALLY like it

I didn't like it for awhile. It wasn't easy.Sometimes life's still not all Jesus, Mary and sunshine. And I didn't like feelings and having to be present all the time in my own head, sometimes still don't. BUT as I sit here now, I was just thinking how much I really LIKE being sober. More so than my desire at times to drink, not feel, get lost, run away, disappear, suck at being good to myself etc. At 9 months, I kinda am starting to feel comfortable in my own skin. I feel calmer, healthier, stronger. I have hope and a faith in that hope even when it seems to get smaller at times. In short, I think sobriety is starting to really feel natural for me. I am living without drinking and living well. What a concept

This is so awesome!
Old 08-14-2013, 06:26 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Congratulations quitforme79! 9 months is fantastic, keep up the great work.

Old 08-14-2013, 07:18 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
EndGame

Originally Posted by quitforme79 View Post
I didn't like it for awhile. It wasn't easy.Sometimes life's still not all Jesus, Mary and sunshine. And I didn't like feelings and having to be present all the time in my own head, sometimes still don't. BUT as I sit here now, I was just thinking how much I really LIKE being sober. More so than my desire at times to drink, not feel, get lost, run away, disappear, suck at being good to myself etc. At 9 months, I kinda am starting to feel comfortable in my own skin. I feel calmer, healthier, stronger. I have hope and a faith in that hope even when it seems to get smaller at times. In short, I think sobriety is starting to really feel natural for me. I am living without drinking and living well. What a concept

This is so awesome!
Great post.

Following the loss of a loved one or of something important in my life, I need to grieve like everyone else, but I also need to continue moving forward. Life doesn't wait for me to get better. In order to get to a better place, I need first to work on whatever it is that's holding me back.

Congratulations on your continuing progress.
Old 08-14-2013, 07:20 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks for posting. It really is great to hear that, especially for those of us just barely embarking on this journey.
Old 08-14-2013, 07:23 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Loved reading this! Congrats!
Old 08-14-2013, 07:25 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

Quitforme, 9 months sober? You are FANTASTIC. Congratulations.
Old 08-14-2013, 08:08 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Congrats, Quit! I agree wholeheartedly with everything you said. I just hit six months and you have been an inspiration. And continue to be...now I am looking forward to nine months even more

Many thanks for the post and congratulations to you again!!

((Huge, sober, hugs!!))
Old 08-14-2013, 10:37 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Quit,
Thanks for posting this. I always read your posts and appreciate what you have to say. It means a lot to me to come to the forum and read stories of success like yours.
Old 08-14-2013, 10:45 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Great post. Sobriety is awesome I agree. So happy for you that it is all slotting into place x
Old 08-14-2013, 11:46 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thank you for posting this QFM. It was a great read, especially for those of us not so far up the road. Love it
Old 08-15-2013, 12:52 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

New to recovery, I'm on day 35. I have tried many times to give up alcohol but for the
Last year haven't been ale to get past that 6 week time frame. For me it has been a long road to recovery. I don't blame anybody but myself for the way i drink. My drinking behaviour is one that sees me lying in bed for about three days drinking, vommitting over and over again until I am pulled from my bed and either taken to hospital or family to get sober.

Anyway to cut a long long story shorter, this is the first time I have actually felt good health wise in my recovery. Today is a great day, and I will wake up tomorrow and see what is in store for me. The keys is not to reflect on the past, but concentrate on what you have today.

Getting rid of triggers and not being around people that drink every night is really helping.

Eat good food, do a good amount of exercise etc and you will start to feel good. Mind and body.

I get so much out of reading your posts.

Thanks.

Last edited by Windturbine; 08-15-2013 at 12:55 AM. Reason: Spellng mistakes
Old 08-15-2013, 01:03 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

It gets better.
Old 08-15-2013, 01:48 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

How did you get sober?
Old 08-15-2013, 03:50 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Big Congratulations... As I approach my 30 days of sobriety this Saturday I am getting very emotional. Women right hahaha.. I don't remember the last time I have gone without a drink this long.. I want what you've got.... You did it! They say the first 90 days is the hardest. Woohoo WTG!
Old 08-15-2013, 03:51 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I wish i were as strong as you, 5 months and my life is falling apart..what do i turn to..Well you guessed...Wish you all the best and keep it going
Old 08-15-2013, 05:16 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Thank you all for your kind & thoughtful responses & sharing your current journey. Windturbine, I was only able to stay sober once I accepted that I was powerless over alcohol & understood that once I have that first drink all bets are off. I made attempts to quit and stay stopped on my own but never made it more than 2 months. I started going to AA and immediately got a sponser. She started me on the 12 steps that are the basis of the program and through those I learned about my behaviors & patterns & how to change them. Really change them. My character defects pop up still on a daily basis but now that I'm sober & have a great support network (on sr & face to face in aa) I don't have to act out on them. Helping others in the program of AA is probably the biggest thing that keeps me sober. There are many commitments to get one involved rather than sitting on the sidelines. This has made all the different. In the beginning of my recovery journey I relied on people with more sobriety than me and trusted them when they told me it would get better, easier & that I'd continue to grow if I just kept working on myself & didn't pick up that first drink. So basically I had to learn to be & accept the times when I was uncomfortable.discomfort is not a pleasant feeling but if we work through it, it goes away & dealing w life sober becomes the new norm. I understand now that its a life long process & there's no destination. But it beats my old miserable way of life any day.
Old 08-15-2013, 09:53 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
EndGame

Originally Posted by quitforme79 View Post
Helping others in the program of AA is probably the biggest thing that keeps me sober. There are many commitments to get one involved rather than sitting on the sidelines. This has made all the different. In the beginning of my recovery journey I relied on people with more sobriety than me and trusted them when they told me it would get better, easier & that I'd continue to grow if I just kept working on myself & didn't pick up that first drink. So basically I had to learn to be & accept the times when I was uncomfortable.discomfort is not a pleasant feeling but if we work through it, it goes away & dealing w life sober becomes the new norm. I understand now that its a life long process & there's no destination. But it beats my old miserable way of life any day.
Priceless. What you describe is the only thing I could do to get sane and sober. That, and working the Big Book Twelve Steps.
Old 08-15-2013, 11:30 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

It works if we work it endgame
Old 08-15-2013, 12:20 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Right on, Quit!
Old 08-16-2013, 04:05 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Its easier said than done..!! I wish it were that easy that i could click my fingers and forget all about it!!