Notices

Rehab, thoughts anyone?

Old 08-14-2013, 04:38 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Rehab, thoughts anyone?

So it's been awhile since I've been on SR. It's been a whirlwind summer, and not In a good way. I've been using and drinking regularly and extremely depressed.
i feel like I want to try a residential rehab facility, I've sent in an application form for a 3 week program, just waiting to here back from them.
I'm just wondering if anyone has gone to a rehab facility before, what were are your thoughts, did it help you? Thanks all
Old 08-14-2013, 04:56 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Every Mother's Worst Nightmare

In my experience it's one of those things I believe can only work if you really want it. I've been through it once in a terrible state and once in a fairly lucid state. I lasted longer after the terrible state one than the lucid state one but the end result was the same. I went back to drink and drugs.

It can be a fantastic start for you but it's no magic bullet. You still have to deal with the realities of life and the ability to return to the old ways once you're outside the bubble.

Long term, it's down to your desire and commitment to staying clean.
Old 08-14-2013, 04:57 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I didn't use a rehab, but if you think it will help you to get sober, then go for it.
Old 08-14-2013, 04:59 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I've never been to rehab but I'm all for whatever helps Zoey - hope you hear back soon

D
Old 08-14-2013, 05:01 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks, yeah I totally agree. I'm thinking it will be a a good kick start. I haven't been able to string together more then a couple weeks of sobriety since.... I don't even know when.
Reality will be waiting for me when im out, but im so exhausted.... i I want to give it a shot.
It will be a place for me to clear my head, talk to professionals on a regular basis and focus on myself for a few weeks without work etc. distracting me.
Old 08-14-2013, 05:11 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi Zoey,

I went to rehab and it worked for me. I spent two weeks in the hospital before I went and I believe those 5 weeks helped get the fog of the alcohol out of me so I could start actually thinking somewhat clearer. I still was a bit of a basket case when I got out and I was terrified to leave the support and discipline. I almost relapsed when I got out, but started going to a lot of meetings and slowly trudged out of the hole of my former life.
It's true, you have to really want it and do the work when you are there, but it can give you a starting point when you leave.
Old 08-14-2013, 05:12 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I went to a 20 day outpatient rehab. I wanted to go, so that made all the difference, I'm sure. So, since you want to do this... I say, by all means, go for it! I got so much out of my IOP experience.

When it's something you initiate and choose to do, it's a great thing.
Old 08-14-2013, 05:16 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Every Mother's Worst Nightmare

Originally Posted by zoey09 View Post
Thanks, yeah I totally agree. I'm thinking it will be a a good kick start. I haven't been able to string together more then a couple weeks of sobriety since.... I don't even know when.
Reality will be waiting for me when im out, but im so exhausted.... i I want to give it a shot.
It will be a place for me to clear my head, talk to professionals on a regular basis and focus on myself for a few weeks without work etc. distracting me.
Then I'd go for it definitely. The focus thing is great. But don't use it as just a battery recharger and sort of short term relief, which I was definitely guilty of. The second time I was dying to get out and I realize now that I'd effectively relapsed before coming out.

Really use it as the foundations for a new way of living your life and it will be tremendous for you.

Best of luck

NT