Notices

reeling

Old 08-14-2013, 04:13 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

reeling

OK...so I am reeling here right now...I had a phone interview this morning for an position in Pensacola, FL at a major hospital there. I have been looking to get out of Hawaii for awhile now to leave behind my old habits here and start fresh. I nailed the interview, even in the state I am in and they offered me the job...I am afraid with all of this stress of moving and such, I am going to relapse...I am telling myself that there is nothing to worry about, a new city, new state, NEW START...I know I am more than qual'ed for this position and everything checked out good on my references...just scared is all...
Old 08-14-2013, 04:23 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Jules

How about taking some deep breaths and getting outside maybe going for a walk to get some fresh air. I always feel better once I get out in nature and kind of "decompress". Have some time alone with your thoughts and think about the positive changes you are making and think about your future.

I know its kind of cheesy but when I'm all tangled up in knots its the basic things that I do that help bring me back to a good place. My head just gets going to fast and I have to slow down......
Old 08-14-2013, 04:45 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Maybe sit down and make a list of stuff you'll need to do for the move. Looking at it rationally and breaking it down might help to take some of the emotion out of it. Looking at the whole thing at once is gonna be a bit daunting and you wouldn't be normal if you didnt have some level of anxiety about it. Take one thing at a time and work on it, next thing you know you'll be settled in
Old 08-14-2013, 04:48 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hey Sarah
I think Jules is right...just breathe...

Starting a new job and moving is always stressful for anyone...it sounds like you consider this a step forward for a number of reasons.

Think about it today - weigh up all the pros and cons - a fresh start is good, but realistically I think you'll have to expect your problems will come along for the ride too...

a new job is great, but it will be stressful, so will moving, meeting new people, performing in your new role.

I know the general wisdom is no changes the first year, but sometimes we need to make changes, and I think some changes are good ones.

In the end only you can decide whether this is a good change, and what you're going to do, but remember you'll have support here either way

D
Old 08-14-2013, 04:48 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I am a huge list maker and I just want to make this transition smooth...I need to find housing, etc. They said they MAY be able to help with relocation expenses which is good. It is a really good job pay and benefits wise. I know this is the right thing to do but a lot of anxiety surrounding it. I have not touched that Percocet yet though...I am exercising a lot of willpower right now...
Old 08-14-2013, 04:55 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Try to focus on the fact that you're moving to a good job that you are well-qualified for. I moved (long-distance) to a place where English was not the first language, in the very first week of my recovery. I was apprehensive, but for me, it not only worked, it was what I needed.
Old 08-14-2013, 05:02 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Mahalo (thank you) Anna!

My ex husband was stationed in Panama City FL and I loved it there so I am not unfamiliar with the area but after 5 years of being on this island, I am apprehensive for lack of a better word right now. The HR person said she loved my Midwest Southern accent and I sounded perfect for the job. I faxed in everything I had from my license to my letters of recommendation and they are working the final details now.
Old 08-14-2013, 05:13 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

It's wise of you to think ahead regarding the fact that too many major changes at once "could" trigger a relapse. A new job AND Moving is a lot. My sister who is not in recovery but doesn't do well with stress and is moving for a new job decided to lease a furnished apartment to ease into the move and allow her to focus on settling into the job first. Maybe you can think of some ways to ease into it too. But....you can still take it one day at a time with all that is ahead of you. Good luck
Old 08-14-2013, 05:16 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Tate, I was thinking that too about the furnished apartment since I am selling everything I own here in Hawaii as it is too expensive to ship. I want to start completely fresh and all. I am only taking 2 suitcases with me and nothing more... I am focusing on the end results which is a good paying job and a better future with stability.