Notices

Giving up on trying to hide

Old 08-14-2013, 01:55 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Giving up on trying to hide

Hi, I am here to admit I am an addict. My drug of choice is pills...vicodin, percs, tramadol and other narcotic pain killers. I am on my way out the door very soon to take my wife to dinner for her birthday. Before I leave the house I just felt very compelled to take a minute to admit, right here, my addiction is out of control and I need help. Strange as it may seem, I felt like doing this right now will make me want to come back soon because I am hoping to find help here and hopefully along the way I might be able to help others. Thank you and good luck to all!!
Old 08-14-2013, 02:12 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome, Steven!
Old 08-14-2013, 02:13 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR! Well done on your admission and honesty.
Old 08-14-2013, 02:22 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

First off..huge heartfelt congrats and welcome to you. Forgive my selfishness but I would like to ask a question. I have a friend who has been taking prescribed perc's for over 5 years. For whatever reason he gets a huge amount every two weeks from his doc He has admitted to taking a half dozen daily but I know from a member of his family she has seen him take like 5 at a time. Booze was my poison so I don't know much about pills etc. He has told me he quit cold turkey a couple months back...and it was easy as pie. No recovery plan...not nothing. It was like he just quit celery sticks or sumthin. I have a hard time believing that.

From your perspective, does that sound reasonable?
I'm just wondering
Old 08-14-2013, 02:29 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome to SR Steven

D
Old 08-14-2013, 03:27 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hey Steven - Welcome to SR, kudos for taking the first step! There's great support and information to be found here - hope you stick around.

Nuudawn - might your question be more appropriate for the Substance Abuse forum? I don't know how a brand new person, still using, can really answer your question (no offense meant to you, Steven - just not sure it's reasonable that you'd know about withdrawal, etc.)

Welcome again, Seven120.
Old 08-14-2013, 05:55 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome Steven. I too, am kicking my love affair with narcotics to the curb...I was on anything and everything I could get my hands on...vics, percs, trams, oxys, morphine, codiene, you name it. I am done though however starting yesterday. I will be here to support you throughout your journey...we will get through this together!!!

Aloha,
S~
Old 08-14-2013, 08:31 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

overwhelmed

Wow, Thank you all so much for your encouragement. I've been a member for less than a day and already feel support.

Nuudawn- DylanS is right. I am not new to pills, but I am new to recovery. The only thing I feel comfortable saying is that I tried to quit cold turkey a couple weeks ago. It didn't go well!

When I tried to quit I had a bottle of thirty 10 mg percs that I hid in one of my usual stash spots and promised myself I wouldn't touch them. I went to work on 3 cups of coffee alone. By 11:00 am I felt like I couldn't sit still, I was sweating buckets and my head felt like it was going to explode. I would have swallowed or snorted 60 mg worth of percs by 11:00 am any other day. Actually what happened next is what made me start researching online for anything that might help me understand or help me find a better way to get off pills.

I work with adults with developmental disabilities. The group I work with in particular has quite a few unique behaviors that require constant supervision. some of them display volatile and physically aggressive behaviors. Well, I bailed on them and drove home to get my pills. Soon as I got home it was all about getting some percs in my system. I snorted 40 mg's and headed back to work. I feel terrible saying this, but I was lucky nothing happened while I was gone, but the potential was certainly there. I put my pills before the safety of people who really need me to be at my best.
Old 08-15-2013, 03:39 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Actually I wasn't looking for recovery insight..so thank you Steven, you actually did give me some information I was looking for. You suffered "physical withdrawal"...sweating, headache etc. I know very very little about painkillers and it sounds like a physical dependence is possible. If it was easy to quit...well, I guess you wouldn't be here. Thank you..very much for addressing the questioned I addressed to you : )
Old 08-15-2013, 03:57 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
No half measures

Welcome. It can be done
Old 08-15-2013, 04:50 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

little bits

You're welcome Nuudawn. I keep finding little bits that help me all over these forums.