Notices

It's time to stop (story inside)

Old 08-14-2013, 07:27 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

It's time to stop (story inside)

(Warning: long post below)

I've been browsing the forums a lot lately working up the courage to share my story as a means of encouragement for sticking to my recent resolution to stop drinking once and for all. Finally, I bit the bullet and decided to share my story as an introduction to (what I hope will be) a fruitful road to sustained sobriety.

My drinking history has been marked primarily by an incessant desire to binge drink. I've never been an every-day drinker--although close to that in college at times. Started when I was 16, but didn't really indulge until I entered college. Met a core group of drinkers and kept at it for the next four years. After that, much social drinking ensued--with plenty of nights spent by the toilet and being blacked out at bars and houses.

All the while, I maintained a remarkable educational pace, culminating in a couple of degrees and an esteemed position today. But, I've realized that all my work in the classroom and as a professional will be for naught if I don't get my drinking habit extinguished.

At times, I have exhibited self-control, stopping for days and weeks at a time. Just this last May, I reached 4 1/2 months sober. It was fantastic and I really took pride in it. Unfortunately, I succumbed to the one pressure that has consistently motivated my alcohol usage: peer pressure.

It's not just limited to what others demand; I just can't shake these expectations that I am letting others done if I'm not "normal" and drinking at bars or other social gatherings. Also, I tend to ask myself: "Can I sustain this forever?". I'm in my late twenties, that's a long time I'd be committing to not drinking again.

It also doesn't help that i'm an all-or-nothing person: I either have to do something or not at all. Whether it's exercise, alcohol usage or other endeavors, I obsess over things I do until I either resolve to continue with the activity or cease entirely. Whenever I'm active with drinking, I can't stop thinking about it. I micro-manage every part of my upcoming days to plan when I can drink next. I have never drank at work and I've been able to set times at which drinking is off-limits. But when I've concluded I can have a drink? Blast-off! Before I know it, I've had 6 more than the 3 I planned on having and continue until I pass out.

I'm not a believer in AA or other religion-based methods of attaining sobriety, but I don't have a problem with those methods either. My goal is to use SR, honesty with myself and any other suggestions to help sustain my path.

I'm 11 days in and feeling good about sobriety so far. My light bulb moment was the end of 8/3, when I looked in the mirror at home after 9 hours of day drinking (only 4 of which I remember) and realized the blackouts, errant behavior and pain I inflict on my loved ones through excessive alcohol usage need to stop. My family has a history of substance abuse, so I want to stop that buck here.

All, I have a drinking problem and I'm ready to rectify it. Thanks for reading, catch you all on the forum.
Old 08-14-2013, 07:32 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome TucTee.
Old 08-14-2013, 07:42 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR. This is an amazing place to get great support. Keep it up.
Old 08-14-2013, 08:24 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi TucTee! You've come to a great place for support. Rather than just say hi I'm going to add this...yea that's a long time to not drink. I've thought the same thing for myself and really didn't like it. I dislike the alternative lots and lots more and that's why I'm here and starting to "get my leaves back in a pile ". Hope you stick around!!!
Old 08-14-2013, 09:52 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
quat

Hey TucTee
have you read through the secular connections forum yet? loads of good stuff there
Old 08-14-2013, 09:54 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Congratulations on making it 11 days.
Old 08-14-2013, 10:30 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

The first and most important step is admitting you have a problem and that you want to do something about it. You have accomplished that by posting here. Welcome to your journey on the road to recovery!
Old 08-14-2013, 11:46 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks for the welcomes. I haven't looked at the secular forums, but I should be alright sticking here. I don't have an aversion to religion such that hearing about it will bother me. I may take a peek anyway, though. Frankly, just hearing about others starting out and sustaining provides the motivation I'm seeking for now.
Old 08-14-2013, 12:02 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Tuc when you reached your 4 1/2 months sober what instance set you that made you decide to drink?? I'm almost 2 months sober myself and definitely realize certain situations are harder to be in than others.
Old 08-14-2013, 12:15 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TopFlight View Post
Tuc when you reached your 4 1/2 months sober what instance set you that made you decide to drink?? I'm almost 2 months sober myself and definitely realize certain situations are harder to be in than others.
It was a combination of things. First, I had a really strong craving for a beer that day while grilling. Second, I had the thought that it would be easier to stop saying no to drinking socially and "be normal". Those two feelings compounded and overwhelmed me. Had a couple of beers, no scene ensued thereafter. However, it wasn't long before I was getting high-fives from old drinking friends because I was "back in the game". Fast forward to today, I'd be 7 1/2 months sober if I had staved off those impulses and stayed the course.

I'd say that you should keep to heart whatever reason compelled you to stop and let that outweigh other influences. You'll feel better knowing that you are successful in accomplishing sobriety. I know I would have, but mistakes happen.
Old 08-14-2013, 12:30 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi TucTee. Something I found helpful is AVRT. Google avrt and you want the one on Rational Recovery website. Below is a link to a post a fellow member did about avrt. If you weren't aware of avrt you might find this info helpful. Hope the link works. Forgot to tell you congrats earlier.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ined-long.html
Old 08-14-2013, 12:33 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi TucTee, your story sounds achingly familiar, good luck with your recovery!
Old 08-14-2013, 01:37 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome TucTee!!
Old 08-14-2013, 01:54 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Recognizes the Beast

Welcome TucTee! Here's a thought for you. If you really are an all or nothing person, that's a trait that might come in very handy in recovery.

I drank for 18 years. Nobody I knew every thought I could stop. I didn't think I could stop. Then I decided I wanted to be sober more than I wanted to drink and took things one day at a time. I decided to go all in for sobriety. I'm sure if I can do this 9 months later, you can do it too. All the best to you brother!
Old 08-14-2013, 02:32 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome aboard TucTee

D
Old 08-15-2013, 06:34 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by nomis View Post
Welcome TucTee! Here's a thought for you. If you really are an all or nothing person, that's a trait that might come in very handy in recovery.

I drank for 18 years. Nobody I knew every thought I could stop. I didn't think I could stop. Then I decided I wanted to be sober more than I wanted to drink and took things one day at a time. I decided to go all in for sobriety. I'm sure if I can do this 9 months later, you can do it too. All the best to you brother!
Indeed, that is the mindset I'm using: gotta want sobriety more than having a drink (or five). Thanks for the encouragement, to you and everyone else. This is a very welcoming and supportive forum, I must say.