Notices

Withdrawal after heavy drinking on camping trip

Old 08-13-2013, 04:44 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Withdrawal after heavy drinking on camping trip

This is my 1st time ever posting on something like this so thanks to all of you that read and support. I have drank nightly for the last 10 years, 2 stiff drinks usually. Recently I have started drinking more, sometimes hitting the bottle in the morning for a quick buzz. In the last 3 weeks I have had 2, 3 day camping trips where I drank all day. Since then have have been experiencing signs of withdrawal anytime I'm not drinking. I have tried waiting until the afternoon but i get so shaky anxious plus dry heaves then I have to have a drink. I've never had these withdrawal symptoms before especially cause I am still drinking. Will this go away? Im on day 3 of feeling crumby even while drinking 1/2 a fifth or more a day. I'm up for quitting and would love some advice on how, withdrawal symptoms like this while not even quoting scare me though.
Thanks for any help you can give.
Old 08-13-2013, 04:50 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Johnny

Sadly this is a progressive thing so yeah you'll find the more and the longer you drink the worse your withdrawals will get.

The more you try and drink through this the worse it will eventually get each time you stop.

The best thing to do is see your Dr - they will give you medical advice on detoxing safely.

D
Old 08-13-2013, 04:53 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Do you have any knowledge on tapering off? Also why now, I've drank lots before, felt bad for a day then bounced back.
Old 08-13-2013, 04:54 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi johnny and welcome to SR
As someone who messed about with quitting for around 4 years (half-heartedly quit, started again etc), I can tell you that it only gets worse. I think you know yourself, that the time has come to nip this in the bud huh?
You say you're getting withdrawals, while you've reduced the drinking (sorry, if I've got that wrong), but you're feeding the addiction, hence why you're getting them.
If you can stop now, it will be 5 days of discomfort, but as time goes on, the withdrawals will get worse with each set you go through
Wish I had better news for you. Do you feel you could go to / phone AA? ) or a similar organisation ?

You CAN get through this and it truly is worth it 5 days..that's all and you have your life and peace of mind back.
x
Old 08-13-2013, 04:58 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Tapering never worked for me - my whole issue was I couldn't control what I drank.
It's not really any safer, or any less traumatic, than cold turkey either.

Dr is your best bet - honestly.

D
Old 08-13-2013, 04:59 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Yes! Time to no it in the bud. I've read that cold turkey can be harmful and tapering is a bit safer. I'm scared of both, also scared of going to the Dr. Because Embarrassment, family, children etc, as of now I've got its under the radar and would be a shock to all. I'm supposed to be the rock solid dad :'(
Old 08-13-2013, 05:06 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

In my own case, I thought I was hiding it, but found out they at least had suspicions Not saying your family/friends do x
Old 08-13-2013, 05:07 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Will this go away?
Not likely, but I can only say from my own experience....it never "went away", for me it got worse.
But don't worry, it's only alcoholism....you may have to consider complete abstinence.
It be in your interest to find out more of what is starting to happen to your body physically in regards to alcohol.
The thought/s however that say, " one day I'll get better or be able to handle it" may be misleading....that's the disease itself telling you there is nothing wrong.
But if you are really honest to yourself, you may know something is wrong or not the same as before in regards to drinking alcohol ?

Welcome
Old 08-13-2013, 05:07 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

I was the rock solid go to guy too - until I ended up the neighbourhood bum...and nearly died on my bathroom floor.

My pride and shame nearly killed me - be smarter than me Johnny

D
Old 08-13-2013, 05:09 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

If you are experiencing withdrawals even while actively drinking I recommend a doctor too.

It really is your best bet. This detox stuff is serious business. Don't let a little shame keep you from living.
Old 08-13-2013, 05:12 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thank you all, I'm going to talk to my wife tomorrow. Se of we can figure out some help watching kids while she works. I'll continue posting and looking for advice.
Old 08-13-2013, 05:23 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

Originally Posted by Johnny795 View Post
Yes! Time to no it in the bud. I've read that cold turkey can be harmful and tapering is a bit safer. I'm scared of both, also scared of going to the Dr. Because Embarrassment, family, children etc, as of now I've got its under the radar and would be a shock to all. I'm supposed to be the rock solid dad :'(
Hi Johnny! Welcome to SR.

Tapering didn't work for me I had to just quit. I didn't realize how serious it could be to detox until I spoke to my counselor about it. I did get thru it though and telling someone about my drinking was a great weight off my shoulders to be honest.

Don't let your embarrassment deter you from seeing someone. I know for me I always have to keep my ego in check as I also always thought of myself as a rock solid person in everything.
Old 08-13-2013, 06:12 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
~sb

when anyone drinks enough, the body gets physically addicted

see a doctor for detoxing
Old 08-13-2013, 09:00 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Nothing is impossible!

Originally Posted by Johnny795 View Post
This is my 1st time ever posting on something like this so thanks to all of you that read and support. I have drank nightly for the last 10 years, 2 stiff drinks usually. Recently I have started drinking more, sometimes hitting the bottle in the morning for a quick buzz. In the last 3 weeks I have had 2, 3 day camping trips where I drank all day. Since then have have been experiencing signs of withdrawal anytime I'm not drinking. I have tried waiting until the afternoon but i get so shaky anxious plus dry heaves then I have to have a drink. I've never had these withdrawal symptoms before especially cause I am still drinking. Will this go away? Im on day 3 of feeling crumby even while drinking 1/2 a fifth or more a day. I'm up for quitting and would love some advice on how, withdrawal symptoms like this while not even quoting scare me though.
Thanks for any help you can give.

yup, you've gotten yourself in deep, but its not all doom and gloom. Now you have the rare opportunity to change and reinvent yourself from the inside out. Its almost a gift to experience, and makes you lose the blinders so many people go through life wearing. You can change ALL of this, and live a better, healthier life...........but you gotta go after it with all you've got. This is a great place to start. Those withdrawals will only get worse, trust me, I was in that same boat at one time.
Old 08-17-2013, 04:48 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hi All,
Its been days since my last post and I have had some ups and downs. I decided to stick with tapering because cold turkey scared the crap out of me.

Day 1 - I was successful at drinking less, although not much. Still had anxiety and shaky/out of it feelings.

Day 2 - Complete failure I drank a fifth through out the day unable to control the tapering.

Day 3 - Obviously felt like crap, had the shakes, only wanted to lay in bed and/or drink. I decided to make a dr. appointment.

My appointment was at 1:20, I managed not to drink until right before I left. I took one shot before I left. It helped calm the nerves. At the Dr. appointment I only told him I was having severe anxiety and didn't mention the drinking (to ashamed, plus didn't know if it would be on my medical record).

He prescribed to different anti anxiety pills. I went to have them filled immediately. I took one more shot while waiting. Once filled I came back home waited an hour until I was anxious again and took one of the anxiety pills.

That night I took another shot, and later had a beer before bed. I declined a pill before bed (they scare me as much as the alcohol, I've had problems in the past).

That night I did not sleep well, but considering I drank less than half pint plus 1 beer it was a success.

Day 4 was pretty good, woke up feeling alright, still craved a shot in the morning, was anxious, shaky, dull head ache, but no dry heaves! I didn't drink until 730 pm, I took 1 shot, then at 10 drank a beer. This is a big drop in consumption for me, I was proud to cut back and have minimum withdrawals. I think having the pills helped me mentally, I knew that if I needed them they were there, however I didn't take any.

Day 5 Felt better than day 4, I still craved through out the day though. Managed to only drink 1 beer around 9 pm.

Now here I am on day 6! Still didn't sleep well, sweaty and insomnia. But it is the 1st day that I woke thinking how good I felt instead of wanting a shot of Bourbon. I smiled ear to ear! Its almost 5 pm and have had several times where I have wanted to take some shots, but I haven't and wont. No withdrawal feelings, finally have some motivation to do housework, maybe a little edgy if anything.

I have still only taken the one pill the day I got them too.

Sorry this is so long, it feels good to recap it and I appreciate all the feedback I get from everyone.

Thank you all!
Old 08-17-2013, 05:08 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you are having your first sober day. Honestly, I think that tapering serves to draw out the agony of withdrawal. I'm glad you got through that and are feeling good.
Old 08-17-2013, 09:30 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

When I quit drinking, I successfully tapered. HOWEVER, I did have withdrawal symptoms while tapering (the symptoms were actually worse than when I completely tapered down to zero). I can attest that I am one of the few successful tapering stories you will hear about on this forum.

Wishing you the best of luck on your road to recovery!
Old 08-18-2013, 12:44 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Made it all day yesterday without a drink, and woke I up this morning feeling great. That was my 1st 100% sober day that i can remember. I went to the gym had a good workout too. Trying to keep the momentum going, and stay away from my triggers.
Thanks everyone.