Notices

Anyone struggling with withdrawals..

Old 08-13-2013, 08:47 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Anyone struggling with withdrawals..

I only joined yesterday and am on day 5. The difference a few days makes, is unbelievable! From waking on day 1, hungover, feeling SO low it was unreal, and 4 days on, the peace of mind and sheer sense of thankfulness, that the withdrawals are over, is a better 'high' than ANY drink I've ever had.

Point I'm clumsily trying to make here is, it might (or might not, if you're lucky), feel like absolutely hell for those few days, but it really, really is worth it! I woke this morning, knowing, I hadn't upset anyone last night / drunk texted anyone / wrote garbage on fb that I would panic to remove etc etc.
Food tastes great again, the house is clean again and it's just such an amazing feeling of tranquillity.

Please, if you're half way through and thinking ' this isn't worth it ', trust me
IT IS REALLY WORTH IT!!

Hang in there xx
Old 08-13-2013, 08:51 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
MTD

Day 11 for me and I too feel the peace but at times I feel so terrible. Yesterday I felt disoriented and dizzy. I didn't think about drinking but that the drinking has made terrible changes in my mind and how my system is fighting to get back to normal. Have to stay strong and sober to get to that peaceful place one day at a time.
Old 08-13-2013, 08:54 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

MTD are you keeping your sugar levels up? Low blood sugar can cause dizziness and we must have been drinking bag loads of the stuff in the alcohol xx

Last edited by ZoeM; 08-13-2013 at 08:55 AM. Reason: typo
Old 08-13-2013, 09:01 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
(previously uksupport)

My strangest withdrawals have been the hallucinations. They've been pretty bizarre and are always at night. Last night I had sweats and my cat was helping me make the bed.

Thanks about the sugar, very good point. My wife got me Pepsi so I should drink that.
Old 08-13-2013, 09:02 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Zoe,

I can so relate to your post. I am on Day 9 and the difference is unbelievable indeed. I was on such a high this past weekend due to not drinking (took a lot out of me but I did it) that I want more of that sober high. It is kind of like changing one habit for another. The high I got off of alcohol doesn't compare to the high I got this past weekend being sober!

I ate like crazy this past weekend. I normally don't eat at all when I am on my weekend binge which has been going on for over 8 years. I ate tons of candy so much so I gained like 2 lbs over the weekend (scary) . I workout during the week, so I have to double up this week to get those 2 lbs off, but again it is worth it. The struggles you fight to get there are hell, but the rewards in the end are pure heaven.
Old 08-13-2013, 09:13 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

UK - I was lucky in that, I never got those. I don't envy you them and was just thinking, they'll soon be over and will be a deterent from wanting to ever go through this again huh? Stay strong xx
Old 08-13-2013, 09:15 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Serenity, I am starting with the sugar fixes as well. The weight gain I'm not worrying about because, have you ever noticed, the weight you 'lose' when drinking, always reappears if you stop for a day or so? It's all dehydration, not genuine loss. Much better to be sober and lose any actual excess weight, than just lose loads of water. What do you think?
Old 08-13-2013, 09:25 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
MTD

Thanks ZoeUK never thought of that. I am not a sweet eater but if it makes me feel better I will try it. Weight is coming off gained 30 lbs in the last year and I always blamed my thyroid for this when in truth it was all that wine (red, white, box, cheap, expensive) that was the culprit...
Old 08-13-2013, 09:30 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ZoeUK View Post
Serenity, I am starting with the sugar fixes as well. The weight gain I'm not worrying about because, have you ever noticed, the weight you 'lose' when drinking, always reappears if you stop for a day or so? It's all dehydration, not genuine loss. Much better to be sober and lose any actual excess weight, than just lose loads of water. What do you think?
Yes, I have noticed. What is strange is that I have always been into fitness besides when I am drinking and I rarely eat candy ever. I just couldn't help myself this weekend. The sugar was all I wanted which kind of freak me out. But, I have to agree with you 100%.
Old 08-13-2013, 09:31 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks for this very timely posting. I am going to remember this over the next days as I begin my path to sobriety (finally). I am going to make it and you have helped to inspire me.
Old 08-13-2013, 09:35 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Aww thanks too.tall I'm going to be on here (or at least have it open in the background) as much as possible for the foreseeable future, so anytime you want to chat / compare notes please get in touch. x
YOU CAN do this - if I can, anyone can
Old 08-13-2013, 09:38 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Serenity, me too!! I've done sports since I was 8 yrs old and always preferred curries or cheese or whatever, to sweet things. I think though our bodies have other ideas at the moment. I'm sure it will settle back down in time and bananas/oranges etc have natural sugars remember. I'm planning to stock up on loads of fruit etc when I next go shopping.
xx
Old 08-13-2013, 09:54 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Zoe, I think you are right that our bodies have other ideas at the moment. I guess whatever works, works right? This was my first weekend sober in a very long time. I am hoping things settle back down in the sugar department. I love fruits and always eat them, but there was something overwhelming this weekend with not wanting the natural sugar but the bad sugar. I guess I was replacing the vodka with the sugar and that is ok with me as I was sober this weekend.
Old 08-13-2013, 09:56 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I have to avoid sweets as I am pre-diabetes.
So for me quiting was in a sense,life or death decision.

One thing to keep in mind about feeling of dizziness and weakness.
Your body is now making corrections now that it doesn't have to deal will alcohol anymore.

I'm no doctor and wont give any advice.But,for me my blood pressure dropped back to normal.That alone caused dizzy feelings.
Blood sugar is a little high still,but,that's slowly going back to normal again.
I'm eating right,so that helps.

I'm on day 18.
Old 08-13-2013, 10:02 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thanks resolute.. xx
Sorry accidentally pressed 'send' before I'd finished.
That's a really good point about blood pressure - hadn't thought of that x
Old 08-13-2013, 10:03 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Yes, I know what you mean Serenity, about the bad sugar. Guess it's a quicker fix?
Old 08-14-2013, 09:25 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I had sugar cravings for a few weeks, and they sometimes got really bad. I used hard candy. I was surprised at how much I went through on those days, but over time I was able to taper off and the cravings subsided. For context, I'm at around 90 days right now. Eating really healthy now, too!
Old 08-15-2013, 01:54 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Not sure how much is withdrawal symptoms and how much is the result of being sober for the 2nd night in a row since a very very very long time ago. It's now 1:45am on night number 2 and some crazy death metal band has apparently kidnapped my hypothalamus and I feel sleep again will have to wait. I still feel unable to really able to focus and try to get myself calm. (somewhat being self-perpetuated by the fear of not knowing how long the insomnia will last). But who knows, I've might have been suffering insomnia for the past 15 years but simply never gave it a chance to show up?

Apart from the low-grade steady headache that remains, I am quite happy to be done with that nearly omnipresent hangover sensation of my blood turning the consistency of cold molasses as it struggles to complete its appointed rounds. So I'll put that in the win column and hope more come sooner rather than later.

Keep battling!
Old 08-15-2013, 02:53 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

You're doing great - hang in there I'm on day 7 now and eating / sleeping normally.
Well done on day 2, soon be over xxx
Old 08-16-2013, 01:13 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Thx Zoe. Nice job on finishing off a week! I cannot wait to get anything that resembles sleep of any kind. I'll worry about 'normal' down the road. Be well.